Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

uncle_enzo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Slow read write speed on secondary drive.

Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 am

mobo Asus P8z68-V/GEN3
1st HD Samsung 830 120GB SSD
2nd HD Hitachi 1TB

I installed win7 on the SSD and then installed secondary hard drive. I installed all the drivers for the mobo. Then secondary drive it is very slow to install anything on it. I have both SSD and Hitachi drive connected to SATA6 ports. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of going to Intel to get the chipset drivers from them instead of ASUS.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Slow read write speed on secondary drive.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Do you see very high CPU usage when performing transfers to/from the HD?

I have almost exactly the same configuration (same motherboard and SSD, but with a Samsung F3 secondary) and my HD performs to expectations.
I did install the drivers from Intel: those on the ASUS site are v10.6.0.1002, whereas the ones I got from Intel were v11.0.0.1032
However, I'd be surprised if that was the problem (though I'd suggest updated drivers for this and everything else on your motherboard if available).
You might try grabbing a disk diagnostic like HDTach and use that to see if anything obvious is out of whack (in HDTach the Info tab will tell you if your HD is using the right ATA protocol, and you can benchmark it to see how slow it is relative to review numbers)

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 pm

You are comparing a traditional HD to high speed SSD. Of course the HD is going to be slow. I think your perception is simply all skewed by the speed of the SSD, unless you can supply numbers that support your perception of slowness.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri May 04, 2012 5:30 am

I've moved this thread to the storage forum.