Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

New wrinkle in Win 10 - Office 365 ads

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:18 pm

So here's another mild annoyance about Windows 10... advertisements for Office 365 straight to your desktop. I've had a pop-up on one machine asking me to "upgrade" from Office 2010 Professional to Office 365, and on another I there was a notification (may have missed the pop-up) asking me to try Office 365. Office was not running at the time on either of these machines. On the one hand it's kinda mild, but on the other hand this is a new boundary that I'm not sure anyone else has crossed before. I'm sure (or I hope) that someone in the coming months will figure out how to suppress these ads, maybe it's already been done?

santista
Gerbil In Training

Re: New wrinkle in Win 10 - Office 365 ads

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:53 pm

There should be an app called "Get Office" installed. Try removing it by clicking start button -> Settings -> System -> Apps & features.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:21 pm

I wonder if that app got automatically installed though. For example, I have an old HP dc7700 as a test machine (2006/2007 vintage). I installed Windows 7 x64 and Chrome, nothing else (it's old enough that Win7 has decent WDDM drivers built in for everything), and then upgraded it to 10. Somehow the "HP Explore" app, which is nothing more than an ad, got installed. That most definitely wasn't me, and that app was probably made long after HP dropped support for this model.

Now, if Windows actually did install that app at some point (i.e. wasn't a third party), then combined with everything else I've heard privacy-wise, I'm really going to think twice about 10. It's the precedent more than anything else.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:33 pm

MS has been crossing alot of lines lately; none of them good. I gotta say, if it wasn't for DX12 I wouldn't give a rat's ass about Win 10, and if it wasn't for gaming I'd probably have gone 100% Linux years ago.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:50 pm

santista wrote:
There should be an app called "Get Office" installed. Try removing it by clicking start button -> Settings -> System -> Apps & features.

Good idea, I'll give that a shot

localhostrulez wrote:
I wonder if that app got automatically installed though. For example, I have an old HP dc7700 as a test machine (2006/2007 vintage). I installed Windows 7 x64 and Chrome, nothing else (it's old enough that Win7 has decent WDDM drivers built in for everything), and then upgraded it to 10. Somehow the "HP Explore" app, which is nothing more than an ad, got installed. That most definitely wasn't me, and that app was probably made long after HP dropped support for this model.

Now, if Windows actually did install that app at some point (i.e. wasn't a third party), then combined with everything else I've heard privacy-wise, I'm really going to think twice about 10. It's the precedent more than anything else.

Interesting you say that - I have an Acer Aspire One that's an amalgam of two broken ones. Basically it's how I wound up with a first gen netbook with an activated copy of Windows 7 Starter on it. It was still eligible for Windows 10, so I went through with it (it doesn't get used for much anyway) and after the upgrade (which went pretty good! Edge doesn't work so hot, but that's completely fair considering it's a first gen, single core Atom... Chrome is still very usable) it had the "Acer Explore" app pre-installed on it. It's pretty low impact, I have a feeling it might be something MS did to get OEMs on-board with the free upgrade thing since it does seem to blow out a lot of their shovelware

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 pm

The Egg wrote:
MS has been crossing alot of lines lately; none of them good. I gotta say, if it wasn't for DX12 I wouldn't give a rat's ass about Win 10, and if it wasn't for gaming I'd probably have gone 100% Linux years ago.

Well, even as a non-gamer and fluent Linux user I am still about 1% Windows. I use it (in a VM) to download Amazon digital music purchases, and for the occasional Word document that OpenOffice/LibreOffice mangles. That's about it...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:02 pm

localhostrulez wrote:

Yeah, my Acer laptop magically got some Acer app after upgrading a clean (ie from the official MS ISO) Win 8.1 install to 10.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:11 pm

The Egg wrote:

I feel like a lot of the line-crossing has been a bit overblown, or at least not really out of line with MS's standard MO. The WUDO being turned on by default was a bit tone-deaf to the general state of broadband in North America, the Wifi Sense was a feature that was poorly socialized, Cortana's information gathering I feel was *always* upfront, though the upstream bandwidth usage is again a bit presumptious. I'm a user that completely skipped Windows 8, and although I was a little disappointed with the new Start menu at first, I'm finding that it barely affects my workflow at all, less than the new "home page" of Windows Explorer. It feels like Windows 7 got a mild makeover... with some of the power user stuff dumbed down a bit. All I really need is something like a Windows 10 equivalent of PowerToys and a reliable way to suppress drivers from Windows Update, and I'd be pretty much completely happy with it.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah I feel as if MS finally got the infrastructure in Windows to the point they can play catch up with their frenemies (ex. Google with their search/data, and Apple with their app store), but they went a little bananas adding everything they could think of in the typical brain dead Microsoft style.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

santista
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Well, it looks like apps getting automatically installed is a real thing in Windows 10. You see, although I live in the US, I'm brazilian and my native language is Portuguese. I have followed my own advice and uninstalled the "Get Office" app from my computer, because I was also seeing the annoying notifications. Later on, I changed the default language of my keyboard to to Brazilian Portuguese because still, a considerable amount of the text I write is in Portuguese. After I've done that, however, I noticed those annoying notifications about Office again, however this time they were in Portuguese: "Adquira o Office 365", which basically means "Get Office 365". So again I looked inside Apps & features in Settings -> Systems and bam, there it was... the "Adquira o Office" app. I'm very certain this app didn't get installed until I changed the system language. So yeah, it seems to be that Microsoft is installing apps on Windows 10 systems without the consent of users, based on different contexts, such as language and system manufacturers. There is just something very fishy about all this...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:07 am

Makes me wonder if it REALLY uninstalled it when you asked it to, or just disabled it. Switching the language may have merely re-activated a latent copy that never went away. This would save them the bandwidth of pushing it out to you again. Oh wait, they don't need to pay for bandwidth to push out their software updates any more... :roll:

Kougar

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:49 am

Sounds like it's tied into the start menu "app" that tries to sell you Office. I right-click uninstalled most of the start menu tiles including that one immediately. :P Of course now a full third of my start menu is now completely empty and it looks incredibly stupid. One would think Win10 would resize itself so one-third of it wasn't a blank panel.

brothergc
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:12 am

IMO windows 10 is addware That is why it was free . I do wonder if a retail bought version is any better ??
Linux is looking better and better yes?

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:50 am

I haven't seen any of this, no doubt due to either EnableLUA=0 or Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage (keep in mind doing this actually lets you remove the Windows Store in Windows 10.)

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Kougar wrote:
Sounds like it's tied into the start menu "app" that tries to sell you Office. I right-click uninstalled most of the start menu tiles including that one immediately. :P Of course now a full third of my start menu is now completely empty and it looks incredibly stupid. One would think Win10 would resize itself so one-third of it wasn't a blank panel.

You can resize that. Go to the right end edge of the menu and you get a resize cursor.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:05 pm

And BTW, I can confirm that MS is reinstalling OEM crap. The Acer ultrabook that I have at my disposal reinstalled the OEM crap even though it had a retail 8.1 license on it and the factory restore partition nuked.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:25 pm

brothergc wrote:
IMO windows 10 is addware That is why it was free . I do wonder if a retail bought version is any better ??
Linux is looking better and better yes?

Linux has been looking better to me since Vista; that's when I switched. Conveniently for me, Vista was released around the time I stopped gaming, which made the transition a no-brainer. Though I'll acknowledge that Win7 was decent...

Deanjo wrote:
And BTW, I can confirm that MS is reinstalling OEM crap. The Acer ultrabook that I have at my disposal reinstalled the OEM crap even though it had a retail 8.1 license on it and the factory restore partition nuked.

Oooh, interesting. I'll bet this was done to appease OEMs who got bent about the possibility of their crapware being removed by the "free" upgrade.

Kougar

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:55 am

Deanjo wrote:
You can resize that. Go to the right end edge of the menu and you get a resize cursor.

Nice, thanks! Wouldn't have occurred to me to even try to resize the startmenu manually like a window. I'll give them props for that as I've already begun modifying and adding shortcuts so it needed way more height. I have a hybrid of my old Win 7 start menu back combined with Win 8's right-click startmenu. Best of both Win7/8 worlds. Might not even remake the quicklaunch bar and keep those buttons on the far left of the menu pane.

Will also give Microsoft points for making it really easy to nuke the stupid startbar search. Users can remove it completely, and instead hit the startmenu key then begin typing to conduct local system searches by default, skipping the web search altogether that way.

localhostrulez

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:16 am

Deanjo wrote:

Seriously, it reinstalled Acer's garbage for you??? They'd better not be doing this with business equipment - which often didn't ship with much crap to begin with (not to mention the amount of system admins willing to tolerate that must be nil). Out of curiosity, are you running home or pro? My HP was running the 10162 beta (latest I could get at the time), so pro, and still got the HP Explore app. Let's see when it decides to download the release version (it's waiting in line) so I can test that. Upgrading from win7 pro here.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Seriously, it reinstalled Acer's garbage for you???

That's pretty bizarre. How did it know what to reinstall?

BobbinThreadbare
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:16 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I feel like a lot of the line-crossing has been a bit overblown, or at least not really out of line with MS's standard MO. The WUDO being turned on by default was a bit tone-deaf to the general state of broadband in North America, the Wifi Sense was a feature that was poorly socialized, Cortana's information gathering I feel was *always* upfront, though the upstream bandwidth usage is again a bit presumptious. I'm a user that completely skipped Windows 8, and although I was a little disappointed with the new Start menu at first, I'm finding that it barely affects my workflow at all, less than the new "home page" of Windows Explorer. It feels like Windows 7 got a mild makeover... with some of the power user stuff dumbed down a bit. All I really need is something like a Windows 10 equivalent of PowerToys and a reliable way to suppress drivers from Windows Update, and I'd be pretty much completely happy with it.

You can change the default file explorer page to this pc again. Go to folder options and it's the first option there.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:40 pm

The Egg wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Seriously, it reinstalled Acer's garbage for you???

That's pretty bizarre. How did it know what to reinstall?

The Win CD Key is likely in a database with the manufacturer ID.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

localhostrulez

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:45 pm

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ew-normal/

Welp, I guess it's time to get more serious about linux. I'd like to be able to upgrade from Win7 eventually, but if they're going to keep up with one idiotic idea after another, I guess I won't. It's already inevitable that Windows 7 will be the new XP in enterprise, but it seems like Microsoft is really trying to cement it in this time - I can't imagine that they like the idea of forced error data reporting and the like, even if they're the only ones to get an exception (nope, pro won't let you turn that off if you need to, only enterprise - same with updates being completely off). This'll be interesting... *grabs popcorn*

On the upside though, my PCs are all business grade (aside from the random iMac), and many officially have some sort of linux support already (ex. mostly HPs officially supporting SuSE). I've tried linux distros on these here and there, and it's worked out pretty well for the most part.

localhostrulez

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Well, I just downloaded Linux Mint 17.2 x64 (LTS). My initial impressions are quite positive - I installed in vmware, and it just friggin worked (though I loaded vmware tools anyway). I did have to tell vmware and Chrome (when selecting downloads) it was Ubuntu - Mint isn't an option apparently. Search and settings are extremely logical - easy to figure out as a Mac and Windows user, and it's simple. Ex. Doesn't show up with a dozen things when I look for mouse settings, just shows one for that setting panel. Hit the start/super key and search, same muscle memory from Windows (and similar to OS X). The main panel feels like OS X, lots of labeled categories of settings just sitting there with search, all very, very well laid out. Exactly how I would do it if given the chance. (Seriously Microsoft, what the hell is up with this in Windows?) Also a very clear system info panel (that actually mentions stuff like the HDD, yay!) Quite snappy for a single core VM with 2GB as well. And unlike Ubuntu or Windows 10 (or OS X, for that matter), search results are local only by default, and unlike Ubuntu, the UI doesn't have huge, bloated-feeling text. Feels nice and professional, if oyu ask me. Not the lightest linux distro I've seen in regards to RAM, though it's handling decently on 2GB. 550MB/2GB with nothing open, which is on par with Windows 32-bit these days. Though it just ballooned to 900MB and the CPU usage spiked when I closed everything - background maintenance that's not in the process list?

My one qualm is the login screen (in vmware) is 800x600 - seems like it does your native screen res, and vmware doesn't really have a native screen res that it shows. Not easy to change - vs Windows and OS X, where it's one setting system-wide. Though I've seen that same problem with quite a few other linux distros.

Some things are also a little trickier than Windows still - i.e. Spotify tells me to run a few commands to install their (not yet supported) beta. And, it's not clear how you remove these things from the package respiratory if you don't want them later. Though their linux UI is the older sensible one - not the new, as bloated as possible one.

Also using ~8GB on a 20GB HDD, with Chrome and Spotify installed. Not bad.

All in all, it seems like Mint has come a long way in the last few years. I'm planning to set up a general use machine in my college house (since we meet there for the solar vehicle engineering club), and what the hell, I think it's time to throw linux mint on it (and probably dual-boot Win7 just in case).

Edit: Also looks like it has built in support for a lot of older PCL5e/PCL6/PS Laserjets via PS or Gutenprint (Macs seem to be the same - no PCL5e/6 unless you use Gutenprint), but not for newer ones like the p1102w. And HP's site plays dumb and hides the driver option entirely from that machine, even though on my Windows machine, it lists a linux open-source driver option. What the hell?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Well, I just downloaded Linux Mint 17.2 x64 (LTS). My initial impressions are quite positive - I installed in vmware, and it just friggin worked (though I loaded vmware tools anyway). I did have to tell vmware and Chrome (when selecting downloads) it was Ubuntu - Mint isn't an option apparently.

Mint is basically an alternative desktop on top of Ubuntu; under the hood they are effectively identical. Mint even uses Ubuntu's repositories for all the stuff they didn't customize.

localhostrulez wrote:
Search and settings are extremely logical - easy to figure out as a Mac and Windows user, and it's simple. Ex. Doesn't show up with a dozen things when I look for mouse settings, just shows one for that setting panel. Hit the start/super key and search, same muscle memory from Windows (and similar to OS X). The main panel feels like OS X, lots of labeled categories of settings just sitting there with search, all very, very well laid out. Exactly how I would do it if given the chance.

Yes, I really like the way Mint lays things out. I've hit some other issues with Mint (that I won't go into) which make it less suitable as a software development platform, but these probably won't affect casual users.

localhostrulez wrote:
And unlike Ubuntu or Windows 10 (or OS X, for that matter), search results are local only by default, and unlike Ubuntu, the UI doesn't have huge, bloated-feeling text.

I gave Ubuntu's default Unity desktop a chance, and I've decided I hate it. My current distro of choice is still Ubuntu, but I use the KDE desktop instead of their home-grown Unity. KDE is somewhat less intuitive than Mint's Cinnamon desktop out-of-the-box, but is very configurable.

localhostrulez wrote:
Feels nice and professional, if oyu ask me. Not the lightest linux distro I've seen in regards to RAM, though it's handling decently on 2GB. 550MB/2GB with nothing open, which is on par with Windows 32-bit these days. Though it just ballooned to 900MB and the CPU usage spiked when I closed everything - background maintenance that's not in the process list?

Unless you go with a very stripped-down environment like LXDE, desktop Linux can't really claim to be "resource light" any more. Run-time memory usage is roughly on par with Windows.

localhostrulez wrote:
My one qualm is the login screen (in vmware) is 800x600 - seems like it does your native screen res, and vmware doesn't really have a native screen res that it shows. Not easy to change - vs Windows and OS X, where it's one setting system-wide. Though I've seen that same problem with quite a few other linux distros.

Pretty sure this is a weird interaction between VMware's resolution handling, and the practice of separating the login screen ("greeter") application from the main desktop environment in systems that use the X Windows system. I'm certain there's a poorly documented setting buried in a VMware and/or Linux config file somewhere that you can manually tweak if it really bugs you. :lol:

localhostrulez wrote:
Some things are also a little trickier than Windows still - i.e. Spotify tells me to run a few commands to install their (not yet supported) beta. And, it's not clear how you remove these things from the package respiratory if you don't want them later. Though their linux UI is the older sensible one - not the new, as bloated as possible one.

Yeah, 3rd party applications may require some minor CLI-fu to get them installed. If they are installed via apt-get, then the command to remove them is:

apt-get remove <package-name>

If installed via dpkg, the equivalent command is:

dpkg --remove <package-name>

Replace "remove" with "purge" in either of the above to wipe the corresponding configuration files as well.

localhostrulez wrote:
Also using ~8GB on a 20GB HDD, with Chrome and Spotify installed. Not bad.

Yes, even though run-time resource usage of Linux has increased a fair bit over the years, disk usage for a base install is still fairly moderate, at least compared to Windows.

localhostrulez wrote:
All in all, it seems like Mint has come a long way in the last few years. I'm planning to set up a general use machine in my college house (since we meet there for the solar vehicle engineering club), and what the hell, I think it's time to throw linux mint on it (and probably dual-boot Win7 just in case).

Linux in general has come a long way, and Mint is probably the best distro out there today for people looking for a hassle-free "just works" install.

localhostrulez wrote:
Edit: Also looks like it has built in support for a lot of older PCL5e/PCL6/PS Laserjets via PS or Gutenprint (Macs seem to be the same - no PCL5e/6 unless you use Gutenprint), but not for newer ones like the p1102w. And HP's site plays dumb and hides the driver option entirely from that machine, even though on my Windows machine, it lists a linux open-source driver option. What the hell?

Yes, support for HP printers in Linux is quite good. At my last job, we were even able to continue using a couple of older HPs with Linux after HP stopped updating the drivers to support later versions of Windows.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:30 am

If it weren't for directX being so popular with game devs I would have made the switch to linux years ago. Windows seems to be going downhill and I am going to be strapped in with dx12 for the ride. Unless of course vulkan does far better than I think it will.

For anyone who does not play games though I would totally suggest they try linux. It's free and they can get windows later if they don't like it. If they find it good then they saved a bunch of money. Tough to lose on that.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Oooh, interesting. I'll bet this was done to appease OEMs who got bent about the possibility of their crapware being removed by the "free" upgrade.

Sorry for the thread semi-necro, but I just noticed this: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -crapware/

Windows 8 and 10 support a persistent OEM crapware (re)installer embedded in the system's BIOS! :o The article only mentions Lenovo, but I wonder if Acer is using this feature too. It would certainly explain how your crapware got reinstalled even though the restore partition was nuked.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:29 pm

odizzido wrote:
If it weren't for directX being so popular with game devs I would have made the switch to linux years ago.

If it wasn't for Autodesk and to a lesser extend Adobe products, I could actually entertain the idea. I'm stuck on Windows until some cataclysmic event dislodges Autodesk's lips from Microsoft's arse - or even more unlikely - until something on the scale of the explosion of the Milky Way dislodges the U.S. architecture industry's lips from Autodesk's arse. We architects pretend we're so daring, but mention looking for an alternative to Autodesk and people don't even dignify the idea with a response, they just kind of look at you like you're very, very stupid.