Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Windows 7 and 10 - sharing folders

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm

I am having some trouble with rebuilding my HTPC's file server configuration. It is pretty straightforward in that I let Plex do everything. Plex is mostly great at everything, it just does a terrible job at allowing files to be uploaded to the remote folders. I typically just use Windows sharing and then drag and drop files on to the server (backups, photos, movies, etc.). However, since Windows 10 has killed off the Homegroups, I am at a loss for why I cannot share a folder on a Windows 7 host with my Windows 10 machines (desktop and a laptop). So far, here is the configuration:

Windows 7 - HTPC
Shared folders D:\public\movies and E:\public\TV Shows - enabling the owner to be my log in credentials and user account on both HTPC and Desktop
In Windows 7 advanced network and sharing:
enabled File and print sharing, disabled Homegroup (enabling log on option)
The log on for the HTPC is set to my Windows 10 machine's log in credentials.

Windows 10 Desktop - I can see the folders (after dropping Windows Defender's Firewall on both machines), but I am denied access to them. I cannot even get a dialog box to log into it.

I also have Malwarebytes loaded on my desktop, but not my HTPC, but that shouldn't block me from getting the log in credentials. I am now officially at a loss, particularly as I should be able to at least get a log in screen.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 7 and 10 - sharing folders

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am

TheEmrys wrote:
Shared folders D:\public\movies and E:\public\TV Shows - enabling the owner to be my log in credentials and user account on both HTPC and Desktop
The log on for the HTPC is set to my Windows 10 machine's log in credentials.
I am a bit confused with the above. Are these 2 the exact same credentials (user name and password)?

TheEmrys wrote:
Windows 10 Desktop - I can see the folders (after dropping Windows Defender's Firewall on both machines), but I am denied access to them. I cannot even get a dialog box to log into it.

Double check the file system permissions on your Win 7 box in addition to the network share permissions. They both need to be effectively allowing (this means group memberships may be important) your credential in order to work.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Aether
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Re: Windows 7 and 10 - sharing folders

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pm

After Homegroups was removed from Windows 10, I had issues with my file shares. I think to fix it, I up had to set the service "Function Discovery Resource Publication" to start automatically. However, at this point, I am not positive that this is what actually fixed it. (I remember I had to try a number of things to get it working.)

Also, another issue in the recent past was when SMB 1 was removed from Windows 10. One of my computers, which had been upgraded multiple times, was only running SMB 1, not 2/3. I believe I had to use Powershell commands I found via some Googling to resolve this.