Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sleep issues since installing SSD

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Crucial SSDs are... meh. I thought they were good, but then I realized that a lot of the random little crashes and sleep glitches were due to the drive. I had the mx100 in my desktop randomly drop out the other day (that model has that known bug, still hasn't been fixed). Then, the laptop crashed shortly after resuming from sleep (mx200). And Thinkpads don't seem to like the drives. Crucial really needs to get it's sh*t together, firmware-wise. 840 evos slow down excessively over time, b at least they don't stall and crash Windows (though neither is even remotely acceptable IMO). Fwiw, I stuck a Toshiba Q series pro 256GB in the laptop - seems like the type of boring, not marketed, just works drive that an OEM would use. Working fine so far. And I ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro on the way for the desktop, so we'll see how that goes.

Crucial RAM has been rock solid for me though, in multiple machines. Same with G.skill.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Best system from the given information?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Crucial SSDs are... meh. I thought they were good, but then I realized that a lot of the random little crashes and sleep glitches were due to the drive.

MX100 512GB here and nary a complaint but, then again, I run 24/7 without sleep/hibernation/any reduced power state.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
Crucial SSDs are... meh. I thought they were good, but then I realized that a lot of the random little crashes and sleep glitches were due to the drive.

MX100 512GB here and nary a complaint but, then again, I run 24/7 without sleep/hibernation/any reduced power state.

I put my desktop to sleep overnight, and usually only restart when I have to. And the laptop, yeah, that often sleeps for days at a time, since the desktop is my main machine. That said, I've heard of these drives stalling in everything from my HP 8200/Q67 to Gigabyte Z87 boards. Windows tries to read something from the pagefile, it can't because the drive decided to stall, it has nowhere to write the BSOD dump files with the system drive gone, and then the BIOS can't find it and tries to PXE boot. Powering off entirely and powering back on solves it. Very odd.

The problem (on the desktop anyway) seems to manifest itself in Chrome randomly freezing (that's what I use most anyway) while I'm using it, I tab over to other things and try to quit Chrome, and then the whole system comes crashing down. Other times, Chrome crashes out of the blue and dies, but the system remains up - I'm not sure if that's drive related or not. With the laptop, shortly after resuming from sleep, the hard drive got lit solid, and then it came crashing down (though the BSOD dump was written). I can't say I've had this happen on anything other than a Crucial SSD or a failing hard drive.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Regarding the storage question: For a desktop, I would recommend a reasonably large SSD (like at least 240-256GB) and a very large spinning archive. Better overall value and more future upgrade options. The optimal application for those hybrid SSD/HDD units is small-form-factor and laptops.

Captain Ned wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:

I put a Crucial BX100 in a refurbed laptop about a month ago and so far it's very well behaved.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
I put my desktop to sleep overnight, and usually only restart when I have to.

I've got certain reasons for keeping the desktop at full steam 24/7. That said, if you've got a lappy in sleep for a week, why not just power it down? Once I got that through the head of daughter all sorts of issues just vanished. So boot takes 120 seconds instead of 10. For something you wake up once/week it seems a minimal penalty to ensure data integrity.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've got certain reasons for keeping the desktop at full steam 24/7. That said, if you've got a lappy in sleep for a week, why not just power it down? Once I got that through the head of daughter all sorts of issues just vanished. So boot takes 120 seconds instead of 10. For something you wake up once/week it seems a minimal penalty to ensure data integrity.

Ehh, few days, not a week. To some extent, I just want to see how long Windows will stay stable for - given good drivers, and restarting programs you run every once in a while, it should go for a while. That is, if it weren't for these darn Crucial SSDs crashing my computers for me...

And boot is actually more like 20 seconds on the zbook (yes, with Windows 7) - POST is really darned fast on there. And ~5 seconds to shutdown. Heh. :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:12 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Ehh, few days, not a week. To some extent, I just want to see how long Windows will stay stable for - given good drivers, and restarting programs you run every once in a while, it should go for a while. That is, if it weren't for these darn Crucial SSDs crashing my computers for me...

Over the many years I've come to the conclusion that Windows wants one of 2 things: 24/7 with no sleep/hibernate, or a hard power-down when you're done. Neither pattern has given me grief.

localhostrulez
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Over the many years I've come to the conclusion that Windows wants one of 2 things: 24/7 with no sleep/hibernate, or a hard power-down when you're done. Neither pattern has given me grief.

I had the Thinkpad up for ~40 days at one point, lots of sleeping in there. And I know quite a few Mac users that just do lots of sleep but rarely shut down. Eh, I just want to see what the machine can do.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Sleep issues since installing SSD

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 pm

I split this thread from a first-time visitor's system build thread (here) and moved it to the Windows forum.

--JustAnEngineer, SBA forum moderator
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2