Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 10 Taskbar Problems

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just poor design, but right clicking things in the taskbar has a delay before the context menu pops up, and, strangely, a much longer delay on my primary monitor than on the secondary one, at least twice as long it seems. Is anyone else having similar problems? Hoping to not have to deal with that for much longer.

It seems to be limited to just the black context menu that pops up from the taskbar, and not the normal white menu that pops up everywhere else.

As a secondary question, is there any way, without 3rd party applications, to get a more functional secondary taskbar, things like having a clock, or pretty much anything on the right side of the taskbar? Unlocking the taskbar and moving it to the secondary screen is not a proper solution for me, since I often don't have my secondary monitor switched on when I don't need it. When I'm playing a game however (in a borderless fullscreen window), I would like to have that information on the secondary window. I'm not hopeful I'll get a proper solution, but it's worth a shot.

chengong
Gerbil

Re: Windows 10 Taskbar Problems

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 pm

I just tested it and yes the context menu on my 1st display is much slower. However like I said, it's my first display and not my primary display, because for some reason my system recognizes it as 1st. I guess you could try switch around the plugs so that the one you use more often is not the 1st?

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Might be a driver or multi-display issue?

I'm testing Windows 10 on two separate desktops at the moment, the right-click menus on the startbar seem responsive. Both are single display systems though.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Was having a similar issue with the start menu doing delayed response or slow to load icons, and busy cursor when clicking on the taskbar. Tried rebooting, and a shutdown gave up went back to Windows 8.1 Update 2.
Funny thing it was fine/no issues for a few days after the upgrade on the 29th.

Edit: Secondary system started doing it right away after a clean install.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:53 am

Yah, mine is laggy on anything that isn't the primary display. Kinda weird. Not a problem for me tho, as I never, ever right-click things on the taskbar. ('ω')

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 am

With just one display turned on it doesn't seem to be delayed, so it's probably limited to multi display configs. At one point, the amount of delay switched and the second display had more lag. This may or may not be related, but when I reboot the start button is sometimes completely unresponsive for a while, which is unfortunate, and I've got Win 10 on an SSD.

I'm running a 290 with the 15.7.1 drivers, is anyone having the issue with a Nvidia config? If not we can probably assume it's a driver problem from AMD.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:32 pm

MEATLOAF2 wrote:
With just one display turned on it doesn't seem to be delayed, so it's probably limited to multi display configs. At one point, the amount of delay switched and the second display had more lag. This may or may not be related, but when I reboot the start button is sometimes completely unresponsive for a while, which is unfortunate, and I've got Win 10 on an SSD.

I'm running a 290 with the 15.7.1 drivers, is anyone having the issue with a Nvidia config? If not we can probably assume it's a driver problem from AMD.

I have the same problem with the start menu - sometimes it just refuses to respond. A few seconds later, it's lightning quick.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Kougar

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:45 am

Waco wrote:
I have the same problem with the start menu - sometimes it just refuses to respond. A few seconds later, it's lightning quick.

That at least sounds like a drive sleep problem from the days of yore, with explorer polling the drive waiting for it to wake. You might try disabling HDD/SSD sleep to see if that changes anything.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:50 am

This was on my tablet - no sleep enabled for the SSD.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Can confirm delay - although it's on my 2nd monitor. Primary monitor delay seems normal/minimal.

Kougar

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:23 am

Waco wrote:
This was on my tablet - no sleep enabled for the SSD.

Oh, in that case I honestly don't know.