Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

MS Edge Question

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:25 pm

I run a duel monitor setup and I typically have my browser open in the left hand screen while I am doing whatever I am doing on the right hand screen.

So I like to have my favorites pinned on the left hand side of the browser so it’s out of the way.

Naturally, after I upgraded to Win10 I wanted to check out the new browser Edge.

Much to my dismay, I cannot find a way to move my favorites over to the left hand side of the browser, this makes Edge all but useless to me.
Anyone know of a way to accomplish this?

Not that it matter to much, I highly doubt that I would end up running Edge as my default browser, I am more curious than anything.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: MS Edge Question

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Firefox is working great under Windows 10. 8)
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 am

I have to concur, Edge/Spartan is not finished yet. It quick and stable because it's way too minimal to be a functional, everyday browser.

Use a proper browser for now, and *if* it's still a good browser once Microsoft had added more functionality, flexibility and basic plugin framework, take it for another spin then ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:26 am

I was messing around yesterday and had the Resource Monitor open on the network trends and I was amazed at the difference between the Edge and Explorer. Quite a bit less going on with the Edge.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:52 am

Pville_Piper wrote:
I was messing around yesterday and had the Resource Monitor open on the network trends and I was amazed at the difference between the Edge and Explorer. Quite a bit less going on with the Edge.

Agreed - it does use next to zero CPU usage and has a reasonable memory footprint.

It could be great, but not yet. It chews through disk space for example. I cleared it's temporary internet cache again only after 4-5 days and it reported it was using just over 8GB. Like, how?

I also have hit and miss performance with any site streaming video. On YouTube the HTML5 player gives up entirely mid way through and reloads the video in flash. It's a stutters mess and the audio is out of sync. Twitch is even worse being flash only - the video is often green and corrupted. Googling both shows it's a common issue.

Firefox works great on 10 as also mentioned above, and has none of the issues Edge runs into.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
it's way too minimal to be a functional, everyday browser.

I'd guess for at least 85% of users it does everything they need...it certainly does everything I need.
geekl33tgamer wrote:
Twitch is even worse being flash only - the video is often green and corrupted.

Should be fixable with newer video drivers. I couldn't watch any flash video (the green mess) on the Llano box, but the 15.8 beta had the fix IIRC.
Meow.