Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Copying user profile from windows 7

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:34 am

Hi

I'm currently using Windows 7 and want to move to Windows 10 but before I do so i want to copy my profile over.

I enable the administrator account and login as admin and try to copy a user profile (not the admin) to another drive however some of the security settings won't allow me even though the administrator account has full admin rights to that user's profile, so i go into the specific profile and copy of the folders and sub folders to another drive however I get the same issue "unable to copy due to file........ 'Try Again' , 'Skip' or 'Cancel' ".

I don't want to use windows easy transfer because windows 10 doesn't have that nor do I want to use a third party tool either.

What should I do?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Copying user profile from windows 7

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:37 am

Why not simply do an upgrade of the 7 install?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:10 am

Because I want to upgrade then do a fresh install of windows 10.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:28 am

Yep, I do a lot of this. The problem is the SID of the user account, which Windows tries its best to keep unique. I've noticed that Win10 is even more a stickler of the SID than other Windows. So, the best way is to copy it off, do the install, create a user with the same account name and log into it once. Then, when you're ready to copy back, open the saved profile folder properties and grant yourself owner privilege, then copy it back. Make sure your new account is in the Administrators group. You should get a 'merge' profile dialog. Should be good from then on.

Edit: right, create a new user before copying, with admin rights. Log in. Copy profile over. That ought to do it!
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:07 am

The problem is when I try to copy the profile that I want in windows 7 I get a pop up saying I don't have owner permission for some of the files, so copying the profile in windows 7 is not easy.