Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

HWmonitor Or Core Temp which one is good for windows 8.1

Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:29 am

I am running windows 8.1 on desktop PC. I am confused with CPU temp monitor applications. My college friend told me about HWmonitor and core temp temprature monitor application. Please help me to choose between these two for my windows 8.1.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: HWmonitor Or Core Temp which one is good for windows 8.1

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 am

I prefer HWiNFO for real-time monitoring of all the hardware components in my system.
In-depth Hardware Information
From a quick overview into the depth of all hardware components. Always up-to date supporting latest technologies and standards.

Real-Time System Monitoring
Accurate monitoring of all system components for actual status and failure prediction. Customizable interface with variety of options.

Extensive Reporting
Multiple types of reports, status logging and interfacing with other tools or add-ons.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php]HWiNFO - Download Page
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:33 am

I have spent two decades tweaking processors, and really the only thing I care about is the temperature of the hottest core.

Core Temp will do a lot more than that, but honestly, what do you want out of it other than "how hot is my processor"?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:37 am

I've been rather impressed with SIV - System Information Viewer
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:38 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I have spent two decades tweaking processors, and really the only thing I care about is the temperature of the hottest core.

Core Temp will do a lot more than that, but honestly, what do you want out of it other than "how hot is my processor"?

Eh... seeing large differences between the hottest and the coolest core when they are all fully loaded can be useful in indicating an uneven application of thermal paste

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:54 pm

biffzinker wrote:
I prefer HWiNFO for real-time monitoring of all the hardware components in my system.
In-depth Hardware Information
From a quick overview into the depth of all hardware components. Always up-to date supporting latest technologies and standards.

Real-Time System Monitoring
Accurate monitoring of all system components for actual status and failure prediction. Customizable interface with variety of options.

Extensive Reporting
Multiple types of reports, status logging and interfacing with other tools or add-ons.

Thanks Biffzinker for sharing your experience with me. I never heard about this application before. Real time monitoring is good feature, Customizable interface which I like in application. As you shared key points it look good piece of software

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:01 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

PA networks global protect I spy?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:51 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

"Core Temp will do a lot more than that," Nothing could be more true-
Core Temp has a excellent gadget-works on 7-don't know about 8 and 10.
Sits on btm right corner of my screen-wouldn't be without it (bit pissed can't find similar app for Mint)

Displays-
Temp on each core.
CPU usage on each core.(both useful when you do a lot of video encoding)
Ram usage.(handy when something is hogging/not releasing ram)
Clock speed-plus FSB and Multiplier.(Occasionally a power outage will cause MB/bios to reset OC back to defaults-see at a glance)
CPU voltage. (probably the least useful)

If it added fan speeds it would be perfect..............................

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:51 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

SO your vote is towards core temp, it gives me lot more options and information than Hwmonitor

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:41 am

To answer all the questions at once,

Yes, I recommend Core Temp because it's incredibly lightweight and unintrusive, I have it autostart to system tray and I've configured mine to show just one number, the temperature of the hottest core. The other options are equally good if you want info - you might want to try them all - but CoreTemp is the one I personally find unintrusive enough to live with every day. The others have all caused me some minor annoyance in their behaviour.

As HERETIC says, it will do loads of other stuff, and also not mentioned it'll save temps to log, it'll perform an action if your PC overheats when unattended (like run an idle tool or shutdown your PC) and it supports plugins.

And yes, that is GlobalProtect, I've finally managed to retire all the crusty, outdated Checkpoint firewalls, so I uninstalled SecuRemote before taking that snip too.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:15 am

I'm running Hardware Monitor Pro, I like it a lot.. fan speeds, CPU temps, and best of all, M2 SSD temp

I have version 1.26 running on Windows 10, no issues at all, it worked great on 8.1 as well.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
To answer all the questions at once,

Yes, I recommend Core Temp because it's incredibly lightweight and unintrusive, I have it autostart to system tray and I've configured mine to show just one number, the temperature of the hottest core. The other options are equally good if you want info - you might want to try them all - but CoreTemp is the one I personally find unintrusive enough to live with every day. The others have all caused me some minor annoyance in their behaviour.

As HERETIC says, it will do loads of other stuff, and also not mentioned it'll save temps to log, it'll perform an action if your PC overheats when unattended (like run an idle tool or shutdown your PC) and it supports plugins.

And yes, that is GlobalProtect, I've finally managed to retire all the crusty, outdated Checkpoint firewalls, so I uninstalled SecuRemote before taking that snip too.

Thanks chrispy i will go to core temp

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:13 am

elmopuddy wrote:
I'm running Hardware Monitor Pro, I like it a lot.. fan speeds, CPU temps, and best of all, M2 SSD temp

I have version 1.26 running on Windows 10, no issues at all, it worked great on 8.1 as well.

PRO version cost you money,

Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 am

HERETIC wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

"Core Temp will do a lot more than that," Nothing could be more true-
Core Temp has a excellent gadget-works on 7-don't know about 8 and 10.
Sits on btm right corner of my screen-wouldn't be without it (bit pissed can't find similar app for Mint)

Displays-
Temp on each core.
CPU usage on each core.(both useful when you do a lot of video encoding)
Ram usage.(handy when something is hogging/not releasing ram)
Clock speed-plus FSB and Multiplier.(Occasionally a power outage will cause MB/bios to reset OC back to defaults-see at a glance)
CPU voltage. (probably the least useful)

If it added fan speeds it would be perfect..............................

Really surprised you couldn't find something for linux, just off the top of my head there are gkrellm and conky. I've got gkrellm displaying a graph for each cpu core utilization, a load chart, temps for GPU and each cpu core, speeds for cpu and 3 case fans, chart of disk usage, chart of network usage, bars showing memory and swap utilization. I know it can do voltages and clock speed is apparently via plugin I've not used. Having thought about my gkrellm setup for the first time in a decade you've just inspired me to add some smart stats for my SSDs too.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 pm

I've always been happy with HWmonitor - very simple/barebones.

Bob34
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:41 am

localhostrulez wrote:
I've always been happy with HWmonitor - very simple/barebones.

thanks localhostrulez for sharing your experience about HW montior