Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 pm

I updated three machines so far two personal and one at work. One personal lost sound which is sort of the Windows 10 update issue I always have that I have to re-install the driver. The beefy laptop at work for brain mapping had one of its applications get corrupted. Once I fixed the sound and the application everything seems to be pretty solid and maybe a placebo effect of a slight performance increase. I'm curious how everyone else is doing with it?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

toki
Gerbil XP

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05 pm

I haven't even received the update yet, that I'm aware of.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Mine's scheduled to be installed at work tonight whilst I sleep.

I'm expecting none of the bugs I am currently tolerating in W10 to have been fixed, but a load of extra lipstick smeared over the still-schizophrenic interface. I also suspect that I will still have to revert to Win95-era consoles because the new 8/8.1/10 Metro Modern equivalent lacks full functionality. Half-assed is half-assed.

I'm not being intentionally cynical, this is just the result of of my experience answering innocent user questions at work for the last two decades. When people ask "but why?" I can only say "I don't know either, you'd think it's a no-brainer, right?"

Nope sirree, my cynicism is born from being recurringly disappointed with Microsoft's inability to fix fundamental OS functionality whilst instead multiple silly ideas get pursued, fail, wither and are cancelled in the interim....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:42 pm

You can get access to it by using the Window 10's Media Creation Tool, both download ISO and create USB installer have build 14393. (Anniversary update build).

Can than update/clean install as you see fit.

edit: TR article on how to get the update.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 am

Updated within 40 minutes, and Cortana was still disabled from the old Windows install.

Oh and they really want you to try Edge before switching the default to another web browser (even though I said no to changing my defaults to Microsoft's in the out of box setup on first boot.)

Edit: Found this in Services:
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:06 am

I'm kinda taken aback by the changes to the Start Menu, but I remember that I ripped out a lot of stuff on my laptop. I guess I'll have to see how it looks on desktop... not having high hopes

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:15 am

installed it, took about 40 minutes as well I think

I don't like how I'm forced to have that stupid useless lock screen that I disabled before

toki
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:01 am

I'm not sure I like the way the start menu is setup now.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 am

Installed it yesterday night. Took a whopping 15 Minutes (hate to see that on slow HDD machines).

Everything works fine, most settings have been kept, Cortana is nowhere to be seen.

Had to reinstall Classic Sell, repair my gadget8.1, and naturally my creative drivers lost all settings. <_<

Apart from that it has been one of the smoothest upgrades I've ever done.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:16 am

Ifalna wrote:
Installed it yesterday night. Took a whopping 15 Minutes (hate to see that on slow HDD machines).

Everything works fine, most settings have been kept, Cortana is nowhere to be seen.

Had to reinstall Classic Sell, repair my gadget8.1, and naturally my creative drivers lost all settings. <_<

Startisback++ was still installed and functioning after the update but I lost some of the settings for the Realtek drivers. Strangely it didn't touch the AMD Crimson 16.7.3 WHQL drivers though.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:09 am

biffzinker wrote:
Strangely it didn't touch the AMD Crimson 16.7.3 WHQL drivers though.

Got some popup about "Wattman" reset or anything from them.
Never heard of that one before.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:14 am

While checking how she'd look from a Window, she tried getting to know me. I told Cortana, "not now". And now she won't.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:37 am

The update broke the integration between microsoft office apps and ChemDraw for me :(
Trump 2020

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 am

My laptop machine updated from the slow ring to 1607 just fine but the wife (same model) is complaining of random lock ups.

Not sure what is up there. She went from the last official (non-beta) version to 1607.

Doing some googling looks like she is not the only one complaining about the issue.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

The update went... autopilot-y on both my desktop and laptop.

Check for updates, let the system download it, get prompted to restart... Giving it permission gets the entire update process started, in autopilot! Not even a single prompt until it asks you to log in again, and then I found myself on my usual desktop.

Extremely painless upgrade, in my opinion. Probably should try it on more computers, but 2 out of 2 ain't bad.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

localhostrulez

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Ifalna wrote:

I'm curious, did it reinstall any apps (like Get Office or Sway), or did it leave that alone? I've had issues with this in the past, but it seems to be earlier builds, and not letting Win10 sit for a little (and checking the store updates) before messing with it. (Ex. It's queued the install of an updated app, and so it *will* do it even though I just removed the app entirely. Didn't think their logic through.) I.e. I've uninstalled those apps, and had it reinstall them as much as 4 times in a row on a single machine, within an hour or two. Didn't have much of an issue on mom's machine though (installed a few days ago, anniversary was barely not out), aside from it installing a few that weren't on the disc once it got internet (I removed those, and it didn't fight back, so that's good).

My mom and I have Win10 machines, but Windows Update gets *all* of the drivers nicely on those as it is (actually, that's all I used, save for the disc not having a Skylake network driver to start with), so I suspect things will be smooth here. Nothing oddball, just standard Intel hardware.

Though does Win10 force you to install the upgrade like any other, i.e. it may have a bug they didn't catch, and this week might not be convenient, but too bad, you don't get a choice in the matter? (I disabled auto updates via policy... hoping they didn't mess with that. They did remove the consumer experience policy in pro that I was using, after all.)

That settings panel does look nice and clean btw. Will have to see what happens with the browser setting (if you uncheck it during the upgrade, what happens next? And what about using Windows Update on 10 to do this?).

Just for what it's worth... my mom's had the new T560 for a few days now. Fairly average user IMO. She loves the battery life. She likes how fast it boots up (I put an SSD in there). She hasn't said anything about Win10, save for me reassuring her that they fixed the launch bugs she heard about (i.e. similar enough to 7 that it's not an issue; she skipped 8/8.1 entirely). No complaints when actually using it. She doesn't seem to give a crap about the new apps though (i.e. Chrome works, Office 2007 works the same as always, flash drives work, no problems with the computer, cool, that's all we need). Was also pleased when I disabled the Win10 upgrade nags on the old Win7 machine (besides, I knew we were going to replace it sooner or later, so didn't want to bother on the old one).

CB5000
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I"m gonna try it on my laptop and windows 10 tablet and see what happens...

Hopefully it doesn't break anything.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:59 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
I'm curious, did it reinstall any apps (like Get Office or Sway), or did it leave that alone?

3D Builder, Microsoft solitaire etc. showed up but Get Office, Sway, Onenote and some others didn't show up installed in the start menu or in the package folders I browsed through.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:24 pm

associating the windows 10 license with my microsoft account was easy, supposedly that should make it possible to use the license for a new build

edit: so I had an old laptop running Win 7 that I couldn't upgrade for the life of me, but using a virtualbox VM to install the latest windows 10 then entering its Win 7 product key seemed to still work

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:11 am

ARRRRRRGGG! Gawd Damn Microsoft. I've had a perfectly running WIN10Pro install for well over a year now. Fast forward to installing Anniversary update and now I have Sleep issues. The PC is slow to wake and applications do not budge at all. :evil: Dammit!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Clean install Hyper-V VM ... 6.5GB now. (no hibernate/fast boot/pagefile/system restore protection...)

Try same in host and get 13GB, now 17GB.

Tried clean install via new WindowsRefreshTool.exe(that debloat tool MS offered) and I was at 30GB on boot drive even though i could only select 12GB.

Tried another clean install from USB from MediaCreationTool.exe and back to 17GB with basically same amount selectable as properties on boot shows.

Something seems off.

Anyone have a clue?

CB5000
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Seems like this anniversary update is a bit borked.
Works fine on my laptop but broke my tablet. Had hell of a time trying to get it into safe mode to revert to previous version.

Gonna hold off before updating my desktops.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Neowin wrote:
Just recently, the Redmond giant has decided to take its war with other browsers, specifically Google Chrome, to a whole new level. It was recently seen that Windows 10 is displaying pop-up notifications on the taskbar, implying that Google Chrome drains their laptop's battery fast. Aside from this, it includes a message that if users switch to Microsoft Edge, they will gain 36% more browsing time. Windows developer Rudy Huyn was able to take a screenshot of such a message.

In a message sent by a Microsoft spokesperson, the pop-up message was reportedly a part of Windows Tips, which is a collection of notifications that appear whenever relevant. "These Windows Tips notifications were created to provide people with quick, easy information that can help them enhance their Windows 10 experience, including information that can help users extend battery life," he said. "That said, with Windows 10 you can easily choose the default browser and search engine of your choice."

A user can opt to disable Windows Tips on Windows 10's notification settings.

Source: Neowin - Windows 10 now notifies users that Chrome drains the battery faster than Edge

localhostrulez

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Wow, they still aren't getting it. Let me run my apps, be a stable/efficient/secure OS, and stay the hell out of the way. This really isn't that hard. Shoot, some of their apps aren't even that good - I tried Mail, and it kept failing because the IMAP server (some crappy thing from work) didn't like its default settings - but it wouldn't let me manually specify the correct ones either, so it didn't work at all. Even my phone got that right, as limited as that is (Thunderbird had this out of the box, with manual settings right there just in case). No real complaints about Music, Pictures, or Video apps though (well, Video pauses if you minimize, so there is that), though respecting the user's decision is rarely a bad idea...

Though does anyone know what having Cortana enabled (with no choice to turn it off) actually means? I tried turning it on (haven't installed anniversary yet), and it asks for permission to access certain info (collect info, change keyboard settings, store data in the cloud, etc - multiple prompts) - and won't enable if I don't grant that. The 'enable cortana' switch jumps right back to disabled if I refuse any of those permissions. Or do they mean searching the web from the start menu by default, which I know is enabled by default (and usually the first thing I turn off anyway).

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:42 am

I had the first post-update UAC prompt today and that was a big surprise. I'd read several articles on the update and not a single one mentioned the UAC dialogue was redesigned, nor was there that info when updating. No search results for my initial query of 'new UAC dialogue' either.

It took me a little digging to discover that I hadn't got a (rather incompetent) Virus on my system.

Surely the whole point of UAC is that it's an official, consistent screen that gives you the most relevant information. Changing it without telling the user seems madness.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 am

Update seemed to go smoothly on my system. Went very fast.

One thing I noticed immediately is that it added an icon in the system tray for Windows Defender and also added a "Scan with Windows Defender" button to the right click context menu. This is a very surprising but welcome addition. :)
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:31 am

Nearly a week in and the update will not show up for either of my machines (one Arrondale laptop and won Virtualbox guest), they say they are up-to-date but no Anniversary update.
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:56 am

srg86 wrote:
Nearly a week in and the update will not show up for either of my machines (one Arrondale laptop and won Virtualbox guest), they say they are up-to-date but no Anniversary update.

Have you tried the procedure described here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ry-update/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:43 pm

I've updated both my gaming PC and my Zenbook without difficulty. The only quirk that I have encountered so far is that it no longer seems to be possible to disable the touchpad on the ultrabook. :-? I use an Anywhere Mouse MX most of the time.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
srg86 wrote:

Have you tried the procedure described here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ry-update/

ahh I hadn't thought of using the "Learn more" link, I would have thought it would have just been marketing rubbish. okay clicked the link on the website and the upgrader exe is now running (testing in VM).
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.