Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Omniman
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Realtek Audio Issue

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:33 pm

I decided it was time to wipe my Asus N55SL and install a clean copy of Windows 10 on it. Everything went fine except I cannot for the life of me get the "High Definition Audio Device" to accept the Realtek Driver or give out any sound at all. I tried both the driver from ASUS and then as a last ditch attempt directly from Realtek. The odd thing is in device manager it says it cannot start the device. After struggling with it I was thinking maybe it's the new driver signing that Windows 10 wants so I installed Windows 7 on it. Once again no go on installing the ASUS driver and now it's giving a "Code 10" stating the "High Definition Audio Device" cannot start. I uninstalled it and rebooted the computer but still keeps going back to that state. The sound was working fine with Windows 10 before I wiped it and this isn't the first time I've wiped it and used the ASUS driver. Any thoughts on what else I can try to make the device start so it will take a proper driver and work?
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Re: Realtek Audio Issue

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Does it work with the stock HDA driver included in Windows 10, i.e. is the issue only when you try to update the driver, or does it exist right from a fresh install?

I've run into it a couple of times. One time I'm almost positive the Intel INF package did the trick - it needed to see the HDA bus before it could install the codec driver.

EDIT: Top of page here
7700K, 32GB, 980Ti, 960 EVO, PG278Q - DG-87

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 pm

What Juzz says.

Windows 10 HDA drivers just work, as long as the chipset drivers are installed. If the Audio isn't working on default microsoft drivers, the problem isn't the audio codec, it's the chipset that it's connected to.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Are you sure it's the soundcard, though? Because I've seen graphics card-related HDMI outputs appearing as HDA. You may be trying to install the driver for the wrong thing.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 am

Just check your device manager and make sure there are no other exclamation marks next to devices.

Windows 7 onwards really doesn't need vendor-specific drivers to work, the vendor drivers just add some other functionality and control panel fluff in most cases.

Assuming you're using an Intel system, grab the Intel Driver Update Utility and let it do it's thing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

WalterW
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:57 am

I swear I love this forum! there is another answer to my prayers