Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Boopbeep38
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Multiple IPv6 addresses windows 7

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:30 am

Hello hope someone can answer my question and I thank you in advance. I'm on windows 7 64bit and when I check my ipconfig I notice I have 4 different IPv6 addresses. Two of the addresses just say IPv6 while another shows temporary IPv6 address and the other shows link local IPv6 address. I'm just curious if this is normal or not. I also notice it on my iPhone which shows 3 ipv6 addresses along with one fe address. I use Comcast by the way. I also have a phone line if that makes a difference.

I had to edit this because i reread it and it comes off as just two ip addresses and that's not the case.
Edited.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Multiple IPv6 addresses windows 7

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 am

Yes that's perfectly normal. 

IPv6 utilizes multiple addresses for a single system because they fill different roles within the network. One is typically just for use within your local subnet, another can be for within the local network, and another will be globally routable for use online. When booting up your computer can also auto-configure itself with an IPv6 address based off your MAC address, Windows 7 often sets up one of those before it gets an internet capable address from the router.

anhbloginc
Gerbil

Re: Multiple IPv6 addresses windows 7

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:18 am

There's nothing to worry about it. It's only temporary IPv6. The more network adapters you have, the more IPv6 you will get, for each adapter.