Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Windows 10 clean install failing, error code 0x8007025d

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:14 pm

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
If you're looking for a backup solution, I would look at the Pioneer BDR-XD05 models. Very few drives support BDXL (100/128 GB discs), but this drive does it for under $100.

The Pioneer BDR-XS05 is the model I ultimately picked up for the instances I need an optical drive on my desktop.  It would appear the XS05 has been retired for the XS06.

The Samsung SE-208 DVD is also a model I've used without much issue for my laptop.  The only complaint I have about this model is that Samsung glued on soft feet and that glue isn't all that robust.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
The Pioneer BDR-XS05 is the model I ultimately picked up for the instances I need an optical drive on my desktop.  It would appear the XS05 has been retired for the XS06.

The Samsung SE-208 DVD is also a model I've used without much issue for my laptop.  The only complaint I have about this model is that Samsung glued on soft feet and that glue isn't all that robust.

That BDR-XS05 looks pretty slick. I'd pay extra for the looks on that. The Pioneer I recommended is a boring matte black that doesn't even match the other (black) electronics.

It's good enough for work though, and I'd expect any Pioneer or Samsung drive to perform well. Not a single coaster from either of them so far.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

An FYI, when some flash starts to go "bad", the bits will fade away over time due to cell wear, a bad production device, ESD damage, etc. The initial writing and verification of data will check out good, but after a few hours, days (months) information can be lost as the state shifts as the information fades away.

Most memory and memory controllers have the ability to identify portions of the memory with problems, divert them, and use reserved sections instead. It is quite possible the flash on the memory stick isn't being handled correctly, and bad sections of the flash are being utilized regardless of the error state. It may be on purpose it over-inflate the reported size of the media to sell more sticks.