Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Random hard reboot (normally triggered when running games or booting from sleep mode)

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:39 pm

This is a clean Windows 10 install with the latest BIOS version and intel/AMD drivers. The games I've played were TF2 and Wargame Red Dragon.

SFC /scannow did not find any corrupted files.
I have ran Memtest86+ about 1-2 weeks ago and ran 9 passes without any errors.
I have used command prompt to run "wmic" and "diskdrive get status", and chkdisk, and a SSD utility to confirm that the SSD was okay.
Event Viewer did not return any error messages that directly pointed to the cause of the hard reboot.

This is the only info that I have regarding the Event Viewer: http://imgur.com/LJ03DOF

A potential cause maybe the XTU undervolting that I did on the laptop, but the XTU undervolt has been stable for the past year. When the laptop does crash due to an undervolt issue, Event Viewer usually starts throwing WHEA and CPU logic check errors right before it crashes.
Last edited by UnfriendlyFire on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Random hard reboot (normally triggered when running games)

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Have you tried undoing the undervolt?

Another possibility is that a vent or heatsink has become clogged with dust.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:09 pm

It just crashed again when booting from sleep mode, and that was when XTU was disabled (thus no undervolting).

Also, I tried uninstalling Avast as that popped up in the Event Viewer, and the crashes still occur.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Try re-seating the DIMMs and boot device?

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Re: Random hard reboot (normally triggered when running games or booting from sleep mode)

Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Uncheck reboot on error so you can see the blue screen of death and see what kind of error your getting.
I assume Windows 10 still has this option.

Edit - Its still there - Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Start up and Recovery Settings - Uncheck Automatic Restart
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Try re-seating the DIMMs and boot device?

Never hurts to do this on a laptop

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Random hard reboot (normally triggered when running games or booting from sleep mode)

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Is this the same computer you were having issues with previously?

It sounds like there is something borked with it in general. Whether that's the WIndows installation, something related to AMD's drivers, or your hardware I don't really know so I know that I'm a ton of help, but you have had a ton of issues with this particular build (if it's the same one).
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:15 pm

DancinJack wrote:

It sounds like there is something borked with it in general. Whether that's the WIndows installation, something related to AMD's drivers, or your hardware I don't really know so I know that I'm a ton of help, but you have had a ton of issues with this particular build (if it's the same one).

He indicated in the first post that it is a laptop.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118958
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118962
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 pm

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118958
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118962

I assumed you thought it was a desktop when you referred to it as a "build".

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I assumed you thought it was a desktop when you referred to it as a "build".

Oh, my bad. I just meant "the same one."

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:47 pm

DancinJack wrote:

It sounds like there is something borked with it in general.  Whether that's the WIndows installation, something related to AMD's drivers, or your hardware I don't really know so I know that I'm a ton of help, but you have had a ton of issues with this particular build (if it's the same one).

I'm just trying to solve it on the software side, as chasing after hardware repairs is going to get messy for a laptop. Anyways, I did check the RAM and the SATA connector was fine.
The Windows installation issue was caused by a defective USB stick, because as soon as I used a different stick, the installation ran fine.
The AMD driver? I have a 6 years old backup laptop that can't use some of AMD's drivers because of a blackscreen issue that became known for that specific model.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 am

Okay, I finally got a WHEA-Logger event regarding the CPU after cutting back on the undervolting. So I guess I might be dealing with a prematurely dying soldered CPU.

Although that still doesn't explain why the laptop crashes when resuming from sleep mode even at standard voltage level with XTU disabled.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:03 am

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
Although that still doesn't explain why the laptop crashes when resuming from sleep mode even at standard voltage level with XTU disabled.

Just a random example but if the voltage didn't step up correctly while it reinitialized the hardware that'd cause it. Which could be the result of a VRM issue on the board and also fits with the random hard reboot problem. But I'm just random theorycrafting.

If the laptop is too unstable to use and every single connector/removeable hardware has been reseated first then I'd inspect the mainboard for damaged connections or power circuitry. If I couldn't find any issues I'd bake to reflow the mainboard to see if that'd salvage the machine, thought I wouldn't count on it and it'd only be a temp fix if it did.