Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Really weird display bug

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 am

Hi all,

I enountered a really weird display problem on my PC very recently.

When I turn it on, the bios screen lights up the entire page (so I know that the entire panel is working), then it shows the windows loading page (the four windows with WINDOWS written above them and the circle revolving thingy below them), and then.... Nothing. The weirdest part about this entire thing is that the mouse still works, but there's nothing to click on. Keyboard inputs don't work, however.

Please help me, Gerbil Gods.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class

Re: Really weird display bug

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:38 am

1: Integrated or Discrete?

2: Have you tried safe mode. It sounds like a serious driver issue since the base windows loading logo uses the built in drivers, but once it loads the OS it uses whatever the mfg drivers are.

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am

1. I am using an integrated GPU.

2. No, I will try safe mode and see what happens. This may take a while because I thought that I had a bootable windows 10 USB drive, but it turns out that I for some reason have a bootable windows 8 USB drive. I'll get back to you when I finish booting in safe mode.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am

Did this happen right after installing something, or did it just happen out of the blue?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Did this happen right after installing something, or did it just happen out of the blue?

It happened right out of the blue. It had been happening for a while over the previous couple days, but a restart always fixed the problem. Now, a restart doesn't do anything.

Ikepuska wrote:
2: Have you tried safe mode. It sounds like a serious driver issue since the base windows loading logo uses the built in drivers, but once it loads the OS it uses whatever the mfg drivers are.

I have tried to get into safe mode for the last couple hours, but the part of the menu you have to click to get to enable safe mode is never there.

In addition, I went and did some googling. It looks like my bootloader may be corrupted based on what error messages I got when I tried to enable the "hit f8 to get into safe mode" option, and went to this https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering-windows-bootloader/ site in hopes of it doing something. I tried the first way and it didn't work. The second way and third way also produced error messages, but that may be because I found it on a superuser stackexchage post and had done some other things suggested in that forum.

I'm going to try this again.

EDIT: Before doing the bootloader fix again, I ran the sfc /scannow utility on the C:\windows drive. It didn't find anything wrong. The exact command that I used was
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows.

EDIT 2: I have finished fixing the bootloader. That's not the problem.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Regarding safe mode, spamming F8 during boot until you see a text prompt doesn't work? You should always have a text option for safe mode listed unless the hard drive or bootloader is completely hosed and it can't find anything to boot from.

So you have already run all three /fixmbr /fixboot and /rebuildbcd commands? You may have to run them all twice as sometimes the order of operations affects the outcome. Just to be safe it's worth mentioning you MUST use the correct version of Windows recovery environment, a Win 8 recovery drive making bootloader for a Win 10 install will cause other problems and result in you needing to manually delete boot files.  (yes, I tried it once and found that out the hard way :lol:

You're using a Win 10 USB installer to boot the recovery process from right? It will also list an option to "refresh the PC". It won't delete files but it effectively reinstalls the OS, you may need to go that route.
Last edited by Kougar on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolflame57
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Never mind, I managed to fix it. I followed what this guide said to do.

http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-black-screen-cursor/

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 pm

coolflame57 wrote:
Never mind, I managed to fix it. I followed what this guide said to do.

http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-black-screen-cursor/

Which of the 15 solutions in that article did you apply to fix your particular problem?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am

Probably nuking the graphics driver, didn't realize he had access to opening the command windows to do that though. Much more straightforward that getting into safe mode to do it.

Glad ya got it resolved regardless!