End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: I made the switch to Windows 10 as my primary desktop OS

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
End User wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
OSX/macOS was awesome. But time stands still for no OS; unless serious, active development resumes

You have completely missed the reason for my switch. It is not macOS that is suffering. Far from it. My reason for switching lies solely with Apple's desktop Mac hardware lineup stagnation. If Apple were to release a good consumer stand alone Mac desktop tomorrow, I will switch back in an instant.

As far as "unless serious, active development resumes" is concerned, you have to be living under a rock to have missed the pace of macOS development over the past 15 years.

The second half of my post, which you clipped, was all about the Desktop Hardware stagnation

It was?
Vhalidictes wrote:
People disagree, and I can see why; Apple is riding high with the iThings. Huge, talented, endless cash reserves, doomed. One-product companies are future failed companies - just ask RIM/Blackberry, or Commodore, or Nokia, or Kodak for that matter.

Sorry, I don't see how that ramble relates to Apple's desktop hardware stagnation.

Vhalidictes wrote:
As to your other comment, you're absolutely correct. OSX made great strides in the last 15 years. 

Too bad I'm actually talking about the last 5 or so. Mavericks was OpenGL updates and finally a good OSX Finder, but Yosemite was a bugfix release, El Capitan was app updates, and Sierra is adding features (not complete parity) with iOS. 

The biggest recent deal has been "porting features we developed for iOS", which is way better than nothing, but also highlights that iOS gets all the development time.

The past 5 years of macOS development have been utterly fantastic. I am the first to shout "hallelujah!" when it comes to Apple taking ideas from iOS and applying them to macOS. The integration between iOS, macOS, watchOS and iCloud is absolutely fantastic.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:38 pm

End User wrote:
Sorry, I don't see how that ramble relates to Apple's desktop hardware stagnation.

If all Apple cares about is the iPhone, they become effectively The iPhone Company. At which point they're doomed. The Desktop Hardware really matters for Apple's long-term success. That's what that paragraph meant.

End User:

The past 5 years of macOS development have been utterly fantastic. I am the first to shout "hallelujah!" when it comes to Apple taking ideas from iOS and applying them to macOS. The integration between iOS, macOS, watchOS and iCloud is absolutely fantastic.

Er, never mind then! Move along, Citizen. Move along.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Yosemite was a bugfix release

In my use Yosemite caused more problems than Mavericks every could, and El Cap produced something usable again. I was fortunate to have both a Very Old New Mac (Mac Pro) and Mavericks in my App Store purchases list. I was able to use 10.9 as a production environment and play with 10.10 on a secondary partition.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The Desktop Hardware really matters for Apple's long-term success. That's what that paragraph meant.

The bulk of Mac sales/revenue comes from the laptop lineup.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Old news to some but I just discovered something amazeballs with Chrome for Windows. Via the More tools settings menu one can save websites out as "apps". I can now have Netflix/Google Maps/iCloud/etc to appear as stand alone apps. Mind blown.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 am

End User wrote:
Old news to some but I just discovered something amazeballs with Chrome for Windows. Via the More tools settings menu one can save websites out as "apps". I can now have Netflix/Google Maps/iCloud/etc to appear as stand alone apps. Mind blown.

It's essentially just a quick way to create a shortcut. You've been able to do this since pretty much forever, with any of the major web browsers. There just wasn't a "one click" way to do it (you had to go through whatever tools your OS provided for creating application shortcuts on the desktop).

E.g., even if that feature didn't exist, you could still create a desktop icon to launch Google Maps in KDE by doing: Right-click the desktop -> Create New... -> Link To Application... -> Application -> type "google-chrome http://maps.google.com" in the Command box. Not sure what the exact sequence would be in Windows 10, but it would be similar.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am

Also, Windows 10 has native apps anyway?

Certainly for netflix anyway.

End User
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:29 am

Glorious wrote:
Also, Windows 10 has native apps anyway?

Certainly for netflix anyway.

UWP apps have not gone over well with me. It is so bad that I forget that the Windows app store exists. I find that weird because the app store model is so central when it comes to my iPhone and iPad. Even on my Mac I regularly browse the app store. The difference with the Mac app store vs the Windows app store is that the Mac app store delivers real Mac apps - not weird hybrid apps.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Cyberduck got me to quit downloading apps from the app store. $24 on the store, or free/donationware on the app's website? No brainer. Rather than wonder what other developers do that, I just quit using it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

I did have the UWP Netflix app installed but I plumb forgot about it. I just fired it up. I either get the "Whoops" message or a blank window when I attempt to play content. Oh well.

Kougar

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 am

End User wrote:
I did have the UWP Netflix app installed but I plumb forgot about it. I just fired it up. I either get the "Whoops" message or a blank window when I attempt to play content. Oh well.

Sort of funny considering the netflix app comes preinstalled on the start menu for the latest version of Windows 10. 

End User
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Kougar wrote:
End User wrote:

Sort of funny considering the netflix app comes preinstalled on the start menu for the latest version of Windows 10. 

My start menu is devoid of app tiles. I pin my frequently used apps to the Taskbar or use search to launch apps. I've taken this workflow from macOS.