Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Windows 10: defer Creators Update

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:20 am

Inspired by geekl33tgamer's post. Apologies up front for the stable door nature of this post :-?

In 1607 / Anniversary Update / Redstone 1, there are 2 policies under
gpedit.msc->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update->Defer Windows Updates->

the first of which is what you need.

1) Select when Feature Updates are received

(x) Not Configured
( ) Enabled
( ) Disabled

Select the branch readiness level for the feature updates you want to receive: [Current Branch | Current Branch for Business]

After a feature update is released, defer receiving it for this many days: [0-180]

[] Pause feature updates
To prevent feature updates from being received on their scheduled time, you can temporarily pause feature updates. The pause will remain in effect for 60 days or until you clear the check box.
Note: If the "Allow Telemetry" policy is set to 0, this policy will have no effect.

2) Select when Quality Updates are received

(x) Not Configured
( ) Enabled
( ) Disabled

After a quality update is released, defer receiving it for this many days: [0-30]

[] Pause quality updates
To prevent quality updates from being received on their scheduled time, you can temporarily pause quality updates. The pause will remain in effect for 35 days or until you clear the check box.
Note: If the "Allow Telemetry" policy is set to 0, this policy will have no effect.

---

In 1511 this was just "Defer Upgrades" in Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Defer upgrade for the following duration (months): [0-8]
Defer updates for the following duration (weeks): [0-4]

"Note: If the “Allow Telemetry” policy is enabled and the Options value is set to 0, then the “Defer upgrades by”, “Defer updates by” and “Pause Updates and Upgrades” settings have no effect."

---

IIRC, in 1507 this was "Defer Upgrades" in Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

---

I don't yet have a Pro / Ent 1703 installation to check for if this has been changed again, will do that after I get back to work from my current holiday.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2