Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Surprise! Creator 10 Update Applied...

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm

So I agreed to Windows 10 "feature updates" on my workstation. And now I got the creator update. Whoops! Well, it seems to be fine. So what's next?

There is a huge list of "tips" in my Edge browser, so I'm going through those now.

Questions in the meantime...

Q1 - I currently have Cortana disabled, because she was worse than Siri. Is she worth a second chance now with Creators?

Q2 - OneDrive has been nagging me for a long time. Is this worth bothering with?

Q3 - Are there any immediately urgent things I should look at first, such as security, browser, or other settings that might have gotten changed while I was dozing off, or maybe config changes that I should be considering?

Q4 - I'm a Firefox user. Is it finally time to consider switching to Edge? If so, where can I go to get the lowdown on getting my settings transferred to Edge, including bookmarks, stored logons, etcetera?

That's a good start, I think. Thanks in advance!

LostCat

Re: Surprise! Creator 10 Update Applied...

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Cortana still seems kind of wonky to use.

OneDrive is good. I'd like to use it for more, but my internets aren't THAT good yet.

Edge is really good now. I'm still using Chrome for literally one game, but I'd love go back to Edge. Firefox just seems kinda slow still.

s'about all I got.
Meow.

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks!

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

BIF wrote:
So I agreed to Windows 10 "feature updates" on my workstation. And now I got the creator update. Whoops! Well, it seems to be fine. So what's next?

There is a huge list of "tips" in my Edge browser, so I'm going through those now.

Questions in the meantime...

Q1 - I currently have Cortana disabled, because she was worse than Siri. Is she worth a second chance now with Creators?

Q2 - OneDrive has been nagging me for a long time. Is this worth bothering with?

Q3 - Are there any immediately urgent things I should look at first, such as security, browser, or other settings that might have gotten changed while I was dozing off, or maybe config changes that I should be considering?

Q4 - I'm a Firefox user. Is it finally time to consider switching to Edge? If so, where can I go to get the lowdown on getting my settings transferred to Edge, including bookmarks, stored logons, etcetera?

That's a good start, I think. Thanks in advance!

First and foremost and that is I have had not a single issue and that's with 3 desktops done and 2 laptops.

1.No Cortana for me, probably ever.

2.One drive, if you have an office 365 sub, is to be sued as you get a TB of 'free' storage.

3.If you are using a 4k screen you might want to check out the dpi scaling and the display settings tab.

4.I'm a Chrome user and just yesterday started setting up the Edge browser, still not sure if I will use it but it definitely feels at least as fast as Chrome and Firefox.

No complaints for me so far and I might even say this has been the 'best' major update in quite awhile, not so much for the features but that combined with no issues makes me say this.

Btw, they also made Paint a 3d program of sorts.

LostCat

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:17 pm

credible wrote:
No complaints for me so far and I might even say this has been the 'best' major update in quite awhile, not so much for the features but that combined with no issues makes me say this.

Certainly seems the most problem free here as well. Same amount of machines, though most of them sit unused. They finally made the Windows Store UI far better for downloading larger items.

I've seen some weirdness with a game or two but I figure that's mostly my new machines doing.
Meow.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:27 pm

LostCat wrote:
credible wrote:

Certainly seems the most problem free here as well. Same amount of machines, though most of them sit unused. They finally made the Windows Store UI far better for downloading larger items.

I've seen some weirdness with a game or two but I figure that's mostly my new machines doing.

Oddly enough one of my sons says he saw his frame rates increase in that new Tom Clancy game.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 pm

The update broke Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 for me - no cursor. A driver reinstall fixed it...but really? :o

Also, the OneDrive prompts are back in force. I have it set to not startup with Windows, yet it pops up every 30-40 minutes while I'm doing other things with Explorer...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Kougar

Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 am

Waco wrote:
The update broke Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 for me - no cursor. A driver reinstall fixed it...but really? :o

Also, the OneDrive prompts are back in force. I have it set to not startup with Windows, yet it pops up every 30-40 minutes while I'm doing other things with Explorer...

Did you make sure "Show sync provider" notifications was unchecked under your Folder Options -> View settings?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 03, 2017 9:10 am

Kougar wrote:
Waco wrote:

Did you make sure "Show sync provider" notifications was unchecked under your Folder Options -> View settings?

It's been off, and I ensured it was still off. It now only pops up with the File->Open dialog on a few applications, but it's still incredibly annoying.

LostCat

Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Waco wrote:
It's been off, and I ensured it was still off. It now only pops up with the File->Open dialog on a few applications, but it's still incredibly annoying.

Is your main documents dir set to one of the OneDrive dirs? I've had that happen before and I can't stand it that way (because I do use OneDrive, but I don't want my **** synced everywhere.)
Meow.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't use OneDrive at all. I did just remove it entirely from the main Explorer default view, so perhaps that will help.

LostCat

Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Waco wrote:
I don't use OneDrive at all. I did just remove it entirely from the main Explorer default view, so perhaps that will help.

I know, but it's part of the install options and sometimes I click past that stuff.
Meow.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Edge is equal to Firefox for me now. It has Ghostery and Adblock Plus extensions, and performance/stability/compatibility is vastly improved. I use both equally now. If i didnt have the custom FF profiles for different tasks, id have switched to Edge only, as i Edge is really beginning to show its home turf advantage. Still have Chrome too.

Siri Cortanna is still disabled for me. I dont mind typing.

Hyper-V got some updates, biggest for me, was use-ability: you can resize Windows guest host windows and it will update the resolution/screen size inside the VM. Very nice to not have to close connection when wanting to switch between full screen and windows mode(used to get scroll bars...)

Windows Subsystem for Linux is at Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS now instead of 14 by default.(Technically, available before)

A plain Win 10 Pro VM after updates is about between 7 and 8 GBs. Using about 11GB with Office, WSL, Firefox, Chrome... installed (but no page file or hibernation file). I am pretty certain it was around 13GB w/o local Office apps before.

No issues in host OS or guest VMs with Creators Update/Win 10 Pro. I did however do a full Refresh/Reset My PC afterwards everywhere to clean up environment(not because updates failed or anything was wrong).

Just make sure to go through the Settings panel, there were several updates/changes, specially the Privacy tab.
Last edited by blahsaysblah on Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 04, 2017 12:19 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
Siri is still disabled for me. I dont mind typing.

"I am serious. And don't call me Siri." --Cortana
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Does Edge safe for lastpass? I use Opera these days, I confuse about Edge.

liquidsquid

Thu May 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Robotics wrote:
Does Edge safe for lastpass? I use Opera these days, I confuse about Edge.

I notice a marked improvement on battery life using Edge vs. Chrome, to the point of going WTF is wrong with Chrome?

mmp121
Gerbil

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

At the risk of not starting another thread to ask my question I'll just hijack this one...

As of the posting of this message my main rig has still not been updated to the Creator's Update. I'm running:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (which I did a free upgrade to from Win7 Pro)
Version: 1607
OS Build: 14393.1480

My question is should I push the issue and manually download the update or leave things be, and wait it out?

I've otherwise been getting regular updates via Windows Update, but no Creators Update yet.

LostCat

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 pm

mmp121 wrote:
At the risk of not starting another thread to ask my question I'll just hijack this one...

As of the posting of this message my main rig has still not been updated to the Creator's Update. I'm running:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (which I did a free upgrade to from Win7 Pro)
Version: 1607
OS Build: 14393.1480

My question is should I push the issue and manually download the update or leave things be, and wait it out?

I've otherwise been getting regular updates via Windows Update, but no Creators Update yet.

It's a great update so it mostly depends on how much you want it. I have to assume there's a reason they haven't pushed it to everyone yet, but everyone I know is happy with it.

It's kind of weird, given we're running up to the Fall Creators Update already.
Last edited by LostCat on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meow.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

BIF wrote:

I had one of the attempts by MS come up always on top and graying out the entire screen.
I had to power off to get rid of it... they are really pushing the Creators update and I am not ready to update.

Kougar

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 pm

mmp121 wrote:

50/50. I wanted the update for a couple reasons and got tired of waiting, so I installed it off the ISO manually. Worked fine... mostly.

The downside is my Task Manager / Resource Monitor are completed FUBAR'd and may have been so since the actual install, I'm not entirely sure. It's reading the CPU frequency wrong,, but more annoyingly the CPU utilization is completely off by a factor of 3-5, making it useless for gauging what programs are doing. Had to install Process Explorer and use that instead. When the Fall update arrives I'm going to nuke this install from orbit and monitor for the problem while I reinstall programs to see if I can pin down a cause...

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

mmp121 wrote:

Microsoft said it will withhold the update from machines that it knows of compatibility issues. I would look in that direction first. Might be a non-issue. Some app you dont care about. Secondary hardware you never use.

Check Device Manager for yellow exclamations or make sure to manually update GPU driver,... If a Reset my PC is an easy option, try that to clear away any issues.

You could try running the Update Assistant option and see if it tells you why its holding back the Creator's Update. Not sure if it will. I remember there used to be a tool for initial Win 10 install.

mmp121
Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Kougar wrote:
mmp121 wrote:

50/50. I wanted the update for a couple reasons and got tired of waiting, so I installed it off the ISO manually. Worked fine... mostly.

The downside is my Task Manager / Resource Monitor are completed FUBAR'd and may have been so since the actual install, I'm not entirely sure. It's reading the CPU frequency wrong,, but more annoyingly the CPU utilization is completely off by a factor of 3-5, making it useless for gauging what programs are doing. Had to install Process Explorer and use that instead. When the Fall update arrives I'm going to nuke this install from orbit and monitor for the problem while I reinstall programs to see if I can pin down a cause...

I'm not wanting anything from the Creators Update per say, but I'm more worried about being left behind on critical patches and what not. Especially given the WannaCry debacle, and the main issue behind it being unpatched / unupdated Windows XP PC's. Its only a matter of time that something like that will hit Win7 / 8 / 10.

The other item that triggered this is that my wife's newish personal laptop just started giving alerts (~3 weeks ago) to update her settings before Creative gets installed. She's not in any rush for Creative either, but it got me thinking why I haven't seen the alerts on my desktop.

mmp121
Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
mmp121 wrote:

Microsoft said it will withhold the update from machines that it knows of compatibility issues. I would look in that direction first. Might be a non-issue. Some app you dont care about. Secondary hardware you never use.

Check Device Manager for yellow exclamations or make sure to manually update GPU driver,... If a Reset my PC is an easy option, try that to clear away any issues.

You could try running the Update Assistant option and see if it tells you why its holding back the Creator's Update. Not sure if it will. I remember there used to be a tool for initial Win 10 install.

Thank you for your suggestions! I checked device manager, and saw nothing with yellow exclamation marks. I definitely don't want to 'Reset my PC' because of this. I do feel that at some point in the next year or two (maybe if the Fall Update comes out and still no Creative being pushed), I may 'nuke from orbit'.

The hardware isn't that old. I have a Haswell processor i7-4771 purchased in 2013 (X-mas) installed on an ASUS Z97 chipset mobo (with 32GB RAM) running an AMD 290X all on a 512GB SSD. I can't think of anything else that's 'old' in the system. Maybe the PCI Audigy Z card?

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 pm

mmp121 wrote:
I can't think of anything else that's 'old' in the system. Maybe the PCI Audigy Z card?

99% chance its something to do with that card, your system sounds normal/above average.

LostCat

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 pm

mmp121 wrote:
I'm not wanting anything from the Creators Update per say, but I'm more worried about being left behind on critical patches and what not. Especially given the WannaCry debacle, and the main issue behind it being unpatched / unupdated Windows XP PC's. Its only a matter of time that something like that will hit Win7 / 8 / 10.

The UUP changes to updating Windows are fantastic. Really, that's the only reason I know of that anyone should need the CU that I know of unless they use HDR.
Meow.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:05 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
mmp121 wrote:

I have three machines with Win10 (one OEM Pro, one Retail Pro, one Retail Home) and none of them have been updated with the Creators Update. Moreover, the one with OEM Pro is a bog standard Surface 3 Pro, from Microsoft. You'd think if anything was first in line for OS updates it would be that.

All three machines have been getting the regular security updates without an issue; the Windows Update control panel applet on the Surface used to always have "Good news! The Creator's Update is coming!" blurb on it, but a month or so ago it stopped showing that altogether. I frankly don't care -- stability is far more important to me than features, and one of the machines is my mother's where stability is the only feature -- but like mmp121 I do worry that at some point I'm going to stop seeing updates because the system is no longer "current." (FWIW, the update assistant seemed happy to go ahead with installing the CU on the Surface, but I halted it because I'm sort of curious if Windows Update will ever get around to doing it on its own. I haven't yet tried running the assistant on the other machines; my mother's internet connection is slow enough that I may just download the update and sneakernet it to her)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Settings - System - About indicates that I'm on Version 1703, which is the Creator's Update. If I look at Settings - Update & Security - Update History - Other Updates, I see that it installed successfully on April 14. No worries. If the update assistant fixes things for you, why not let it run?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... on_history
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

the
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm dreading the creator's update being pushed on the corporate side at my work. Ran into an issue where Intel's Unite wireless display technology will nuke the Windows install so it can't boot. Hooray! Thankfully there seems to be fixes but gotta get those pushed first but considering how well the Unite software is running, this entire update is going to be glorious burning field of fire from a support stand point.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm

the wrote:
I'm dreading the creator's update being pushed on the corporate side at my work. Ran into an issue where Intel's Unite wireless display technology will nuke the Windows install so it can't boot. Hooray! Thankfully there seems to be fixes but gotta get those pushed first but considering how well the Unite software is running, this entire update is going to be glorious burning field of fire from a support stand point.

Dont you think its better this way? All the bad players will be crushed out of market in a clear manner. Everyone has access to insiders builds. If they wont keep their software up to date... Now no excuses. They're not going to foot the bill for security,.. issues if you stay back several releases. Everyone keeps acting like its a surprise. Insiders builds have been there since before Win 10 launched.

FYI, i dont like Edge anymore, its gotten its extensions(Ghostery and Adblock plus) corrupted and nothing i can do short of Reset My PC will solve it. This is 3rd time. It should have a real reset option.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:05 am

The corporate side does internally developed application testing against Insider builds so that we know what is immentently broken before formal release. Best to report bugs to MS early and/or fix your own internal code.

The Unite stuff is something we don't develop and that wireless display technology hasn't been deployed in a wide spread fashion. This issue was caught after the Creator's update was up for release and doing much more intensive testing for internal employee release.

The yearly update cadence is driving my company crazy. Nearly skipped a MacOS release due to a bug involving some backup software that wasn't fixed until WWDC when the next MacOS revision was announced.

If you're dependent upon some third party software that isn't moving at the same pace as these updates, then you're going to be stuck at that slower pace wether you like it or not.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4