Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Setting up Win10 for parents

Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 am

Hi gerbils. Thank you for your help in purchasing a PC for my parents. It's always very useful to tap the gerbil hive :)

I'm on my way over to visit them...and to set up the new PC. At this point I figured I might as well tap your opinions again:

My folks know how to use a computer, but they're not super savvy. They also occasionally click the wrong thing :roll: and are suspicious of false links/email notifications (suspicious, but not downright positive that it isn't legit). They also haven't used anything at home since Vista. Given that:

Should I set them up on a non-admin account 24/7 (and review how to login when UAC prompts come up)?
If yes, does it make sense to auto-log in to the regular user account?
Should I tie their account (or both accounts) to a microsoft email?
Should I promote the microsoft store as a good place to look for apps?

Also, definitely thinking of setting up Windows Defender (on by default anyways) and Bit Defender as free, lightweight apps to keep things a little more secure. Any objections?

Thanks!
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Setting up Win10 for parents

Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 am

The way I do it for my mom:

Two accounts one regular one admin with the same password.
OpenDNS or other curated dns service setup.
Ad blocker installed and activated in firefox.
Flash plugin installed but set to always ask to activate.
Facebook setup not to autoplay videos.
Currently using
AVG free but I'm seriously thinking of dropping it for whats built into windows.
Malwarebyres anti-exploit installed.

Mom logs in with the regular account and very rarely is ever gets prompted by UAC for the password and usually if she does get prompted she just cancels it or asks me.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD