Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Windows XP Embedded

Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Since everyone is going crazy about WannaCry I'm curious since I've never tried it. Can Windows XP Embedded machines even take patches? I always thought they were self contained systems that don't allow for data to be written to the OS?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Windows XP Embedded

Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Why would you want to "try" it? And (that question aside) why do you think you need Windows XP to do so? Most of the infected systems were supposedly Windows 7 and later. Just do a fresh install into a VM or something.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue May 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Microsoft embedded operating system do receive patches. They can use Windows/Microsoft Update.

Depending on the nature of the embedded system it might be offline its entire life and in premise not need patches.

That being said everything has bugs and the embedded system might be online. You'd want an offline system to be capable of accepting updates to fix serious bugs impacting the embedded product. If the system is online you want the ability to apply security updates.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 3:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Why would you want to "try" it? And (that question aside) why do you think you need Windows XP to do so? Most of the infected systems were supposedly Windows 7 and later. Just do a fresh install into a VM or something.

Sadly it's a prototype/very rare but very effective networked robotic CD/DVD burner that pumps out a huge volume in a very small amount of time .:(
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.