Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Persistent remote desktop session

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Is there any way to prevent a remote desktop session from being disconnected by another login?

In other words, if a server already has two remote logins, when a third person tries to log onto the box, it'll ask which user they want to disconnect. Is there any way to set a session to disallow it from being disconnected?

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Re: Persistent remote desktop session

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Maybe start here...

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Sessions\Connections
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:27 pm

You could also configure the server to contain the Remote Desktop "role" (in other words, install the RDP service service), but MS is pretty schizophrenic about whether that's an additional cost or not - I don't know how the licensing works this month.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
You could also configure the server to contain the Remote Desktop "role" (in other words, install the RDP service service), but MS is pretty schizophrenic about whether that's an additional cost or not - I don't know how the licensing works this month.

Last time I checked (server 2012) you need to buy an additional RDP user cal for each simultaneous RDP session. IIRC this is only enforced through an honour system ;)
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!