Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Win10 Creator's Update uninstalling software

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:32 pm

So,

I have some software that's legacy, to go with some legacy hardware, that I use on my primary box. It's been there since Win7 and was kept as part of the in place upgrade. I've been using images instead of fresh installs because of how much of a bloody pain it is to get the software working on a vanilla 10 installation.
Now with the Win10 Creator's update, windows deems my software incompatible, and uninstalls it. Without any user intervention, or a way to stop it that I saw as part of the settings or options. So I come here to ask others, is there a way to prevent the windows updates from messing with my installed software, regardless of if it is 'Incompatible' or not?

ETA: And I'm really really not going to resort to VMs or any such thing for keeping this software if at all possible.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Win10 Creator's Update uninstalling software

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:49 pm

If it's something that MS deems destructive then VMs are your best bet, whether you want to go there or not.

Or just go back to win7. Windows always tries to keep legacy apps working, but to highly varying degrees of success.
Meow.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm

I have managed to test the software on creator's update, after managing to reinstall it through all the pain. And it works just fine so far as my uses are concerned.

I'm just getting sick of this song and dance every major update. I wouldn't mind if you could opt out of it for a security patches only update setting, but you can't. And I don't recall Windows EVER uninstalling software without explicit user intervention before Win10. I'd rather not revert to 7 but maybe I have to.

End User

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 pm

What is the name of the app that you are using?

Kougar

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm

You sure it isn't just breaking something or overwriting existing drivers when you upgrade? All the major updates will break stuff, in my case after every single 10 upgrade Folding@home's GPU client can't find the NVIDIA OpenCL driver until I reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.

End User

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:41 pm

You've not experienced pain until you've dealt with a Linux kernel update that freaks out over the installed proprietary GPU driver.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 pm

End User wrote:
You've not experienced pain until you've dealt with a Linux kernel update that freaks out over the installed proprietary GPU driver.

IME that one's *usually* fixable just by re-installing the driver via the text console. Back when this used to be a regular occurrence I would keep a copy of the latest driver installer in the root account's home directory, along with a script called "go" that ran the installer with appropriate options. If the DE freaked out after a kernel update, it was Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in as root, "./go", reboot, and I was back in business. :wink:

If you want some *real* pain, try using apt (or any of its GUI wrappers) to install Oracle's upstream binary VirtualBox .deb packages on an Ubuntu LTS point release (i.e. 14.04.x, where x is anything other than 0). Learned that one the hard way. There are some serious dependency issues that apt oh-so-helpfully resolves in a very wrong way, and you'll spend the rest of the evening trying to un-f*ck your X stack.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:15 pm

End User wrote:

Yeah you usually have uninstall the proprietary GPU driver, then update the kernel, and then reinstall the driver for the GPU. And of course hope nothing else breaks.... That said, things have gotten much better then they were a decade ago.

End User

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:

IME that one's *usually* fixable just by re-installing the driver via the text console. Back when this used to be a regular occurrence I would keep a copy of the latest driver installer in the root account's home directory, along with a script called "go" that ran the installer with appropriate options. If the DE freaked out after a kernel update, it was Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in as root, "./go", reboot, and I was back in business. :wink:

Awesome possum.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Ikepuska wrote:
And I don't recall Windows EVER uninstalling software without explicit user intervention before Win10.
It's a brave new world. Next up: Win11 tossing hardware it doesn't like out of your computer.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Funny, I haven't had any problems with W7 :P

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Kougar wrote:
You sure it isn't just breaking something or overwriting existing drivers when you upgrade? All the major updates will break stuff, in my case after every single 10 upgrade Folding@home's GPU client can't find the NVIDIA OpenCL driver until I reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.

No, it's acually uninstalling the software. It's maddening. It's an old control software that I use for some external devices. It uses the 'midi' or 'game' port on a very old pci sound? card that I have installed. I think it's a sound card, I only use it for the port not sound so I don't remember.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Every update seems to uninstall software Microsoft doesn't like, just as the upgrade from 7 or 8.1 did. Sometimes it just disables the software such as, Microsoft admitted, 5% of all 3rd-party antivirus--to replace it with Windows Defender.

The 6-month update schedule is terrible, as every time one or more machines update even with "defer upgrades" on and have to get rolled back. Then I have to go hide the update with wushowhide.diagcab or it will get reinstalled back the same day. This round was even worse than usual because hiding the 1703 upgrade the first time was ignored, and I actually had to hide it twice on each machine for it to stick.

Perhaps it's like how telemetry installer KB2952664 kept unhiding itself on WindowsUpdate because for a long while Microsoft kept changing the update (but keeping the same KB number) every few weeks. So each time WindowsUpdate would think it was new. This behavior is hopefully not intentional + simply a result of Microsoft being unable to believe anyone would really hide such wonderful updates (which they are quite proud of) on purpose, and trying to be helpful.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:25 am

meerkt wrote:
Ikepuska wrote:
And I don't recall Windows EVER uninstalling software without explicit user intervention before Win10.
It's a brave new world. Next up: Win11 tossing hardware it doesn't like out of your computer.

Good one! PCIe v5 slots come with spring loaded ejectors...
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 am

Aranarth wrote:
meerkt wrote:
Ikepuska wrote:

Good one! PCIe v5 slots come with spring loaded ejectors...

Oh, that's only for the lame-stream stuff. Gamerz get boards with explosive bolts :D
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

RGB LED explosives.