Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tools to analyze Win8 WiFi connect issues?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Is there a Windows tool to get a low-levelish view/analysis of WiFi connection establishment?
I want to see each handshake/exchange/step to figure out why connecting usually fails.

I've always had trouble connecting my laptop to my WLAN (haven't explored other computers enough to say anything global). It works in the end, but usually after a tediously long process that involves many connection reattempts. The problem has persisted across various setups: Win 8 and 8.1, Atheros and Intel WiFi cards, two routers.

More details:

I'm connecting thru the Windows Metro side panel. It usually spends some time with "Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual" and ends in "Can't connect to this network". During the extended process of trying to connect, common ping results are one or more of:

PING: transmit failed. General failure.
Reply from [own static IP]: Destination host unreachable.
General failure.
Request timed out.

Occasionally after connecting apparently successfully it disconnects within a few seconds. Only after 10-15 seconds it's in the clear. It's more likely to work being in the same room as the router (but not always), and after restarting the router (but not always). Cellphones connect fine to the same network. The PC doesn't have trouble connecting to a cellphone acting as AP.

It all points to the router(s) being partially to blame, but considering cellphones connect OK, and the problems persisted with two very different routers, I think there's also a Windows element involved.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Tools to analyze Win8 WiFi connect issues?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Well, you could get further evidence for/against it being a Windows issue by booting a Linux live distro, and seeing if it has better luck connecting (or not). I expect the Intel WiFi adapter is better supported under Linux, so if you decide to try this angle I'd start with that instead of the Atheros.

If you get similarly crappy connectivity, the problem is probably at a lower level than the OS...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: Tools to analyze Win8 WiFi connect issues?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm

I thought of that and I may try it, but starting with a Windows tool seemed easier.
The computer is definitely capable of connecting without trouble in some cases, like to that cellphone AP.