Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

W10 Pro for Workstations

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 pm

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017 ... kstations/

Should make more than a few TR people happy. Hopefully doesn't cost a ton, and they allow upgrades from Pro/Home. (AT LEAST pro though)

Highlights:

ReFS (not clear WHERE ReFS support is though)
NVDIMM support
SMB Direct
Expanded Xeon/Opteron support - doesn't say anything about Epyc, yet
Support for up to 4 "CPUs" (physical) and up to 6TB of RAM

Available this fall (roughly same time as Fall Creators update)
Last edited by DancinJack on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: W10 Pro for Workstations

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Sorta cool. But does it still not let you control when updates happen?
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Sorta cool. But does it still not let you control when updates happen?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Doesn't say anything. It feels like they'd allow you at least the same controls Enterprise has? I have no idea.

Also, let's not turn the thread into a W10 update hate-fest if we can avoid it. Saying it doesn't let you control when updates happen isn't exactly true, but I get it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Serious question... does it come with Candy Crush Saga? Im pretty sure that sort of crap ware crept into the original Win10 Pro.
FDISK /MBR

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Something is likely lost in translation. ReFS is not a super set of NTFS. That would be stop the press front page news.

What is more likely is they bringing over Windows Server Storage Spaces, that is, deduplication and those kinds of services. You already have access to ReFS right now on Win 10 Pro. (this was already possible by copying bits from matching server build, though every new build you might lose access to your storage pools unless you again brought over binaries..)

Hopefully this includes more advanced Hyper-V features like direct device(GPU, PCI-e) pass through.

edit: to be clear, there hasnt even been rumor of ReFS boot support for long time. They are still co-equal/separate filesystems for different priorities.

There is no support for NTFS features like per-file compression nor encryption. Full disk encryption with BitLocker seems to be supported, but I haven’t verified that.
    Windows Search worked fine even with advanced queries.
    Windows Backup (a.k.a. File History) will let you backup to and from a ReFS formatted disk. This is probably a bad idea, however, as File History relies on a lot of NTFS features.
    Windows Store can’t install any Windows Apps to an ReFS formatted disk. It’s listed as an available installation destination, but the Store app will thrown an exception if you try to install to it. ReFS doesn’t implement the necessary parts of NTFS’ access control entries required to enforce Windows Store’s app licensing technology.
    I installed a couple of programs to an ReFS formatted disk, and most failed to start.
    All programs I tried could open and save changes to existing files to an ReFS formatted disk. However, about half of them had problems creating new files.
    I got a steady 70 MB/s when copying a large number of small files onto a ReFS formatted disk. I got speeds varying from 150–180 MB/s with the same file set when copying it to the same disk formatted as NTFS.
What I learned after 30 minutes with ReFS

This is same issues i ran into, the compression and the much slower copies(vs copying to same disks under mirrored ZFS volume). Of course things like de-duplication and using same exact binaries as Server would be a big win.
Last edited by blahsaysblah on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Most interested in ReFS here. In my previous tests it's everything I'd want in a filesystem except it's incredibly, unusably slow and does not come with monitoring by default. Wonder if it'll ever be bootable.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Most interested in ReFS here. In my previous tests it's everything I'd want in a filesystem except it's incredibly, unusably slow and does not come with monitoring by default. Wonder if it'll ever be bootable.

Bootable isn't a huge problem, although it's not ideal.

Things like "no in-line file compression" and "no in-line file encryption" are probably bigger problems for day-to-day use. "Doesn't work properly without enabling 'Storage Spaces'" isn't great either.

I myself have a little bit of trouble with the feature "automatically deletes corrupted/desynced files without trying to recover", but maybe that will eventually be converted to a bug.