Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Reinstalling Windows 10 on a laptop... and failing

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 am

Consider the situation: an Asus laptop (G56JR - you can think of it as a version of the N56, a bit over 3 years old in my possession) currently running Windows 8.1, previously had 10 installed but I reverted at some point.

I've been trying to install Windows 10 in some form back onto the laptop, but I keep failing for some reason if I intend to stay within UEFI mode. The common theme with most of the failures seem to be an inability to boot.

Tried these:
Windows 10 Creator's Update, DVD, clean install: Prompt appears, but pressing any key only results in booting into the installation of 8.1
Windows 10 Creator's Update, USB, clean install: Drive outright ignored.
Windows 10 Creator's Update, DVD or USB, upgrade install: System boots into firmware and the SSD is unbootable after restart.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, DVD, clean install: Prompt appears, but pressing any key only results in booting into the installation of 8.1
Windows 10 Anniversary Update, USB, clean install: Drive outright ignored.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update, DVD or USB, upgrade install: Install fails at the 18% point in the first phase and it pretty much "never happened" as far as the laptop is concerned.

Via Media Creation Tool, direct in-place upgrade: System boots into firmware and the SSD is unbootable after restart.

These DVD and USB media appear to work fine with my desktop; so is 8.1 installation media, DVD or USB.

Did I run into something strange? I hope I'm not forced to run it in MBR mode.
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB + Blue 2TB | Win 10 FCU

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Re: Reinstalling Windows 10 on a laptop... and failing

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:19 am

once in setup, at first screen choose repair, choose command prompt/shell.
diskpart
list disk
select disk #
clean (wipes everything away, there is no prompt. this is death to all your data!!!)
convert gpt
(do for all your disks)
exit

setup (will start the installer, which you can exit again to come back to prompt if you need to)
or just reboot to be absolutely sure you go through same code path as everyone else(i notice the setup screen looks different when manually started, but later screens i think were same)

That will resolve disk configuration side. if still have issues, you need to check your UEFI setup for hint on whats wrong with boot.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am

blahsaysblah wrote:
once in setup, at first screen choose repair, choose command prompt/shell.
diskpart
list disk
select disk #
clean (wipes everything away, there is no prompt. this is death to all your data!!!)
convert gpt
(do for all your disks)
exit

setup (will start the installer, which you can exit again to come back to prompt if you need to)
or just reboot to be absolutely sure you go through same code path as everyone else(i notice the setup screen looks different when manually started, but later screens i think were same)

That will resolve disk configuration side. if still have issues, you need to check your UEFI setup for hint on whats wrong with boot.

The Windows 10 setup media cannot boot. Should I do it with 8.1 setup media?
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB + Blue 2TB | Win 10 FCU

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 am

Why don't you want to try MBR mode? Some older laptops had severe issues with UEFI installs.

Additionally, it appears that your laptop isn't set to boot from USB. Is there a F-key you can hit on startup to choose boot devices? It's typically F10, but could be anything.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Why don't you want to try MBR mode? Some older laptops had severe issues with UEFI installs.

Additionally, it appears that your laptop isn't set to boot from USB. Is there a F-key you can hit on startup to choose boot devices? It's typically F10, but could be anything.

Thing is, it used to work, so I'm now wondering what broke since then.

The key to boot from USB is to hold down the Escape key; and, yeah, I did that.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:54 am

Noinoi wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

I had a similar problem once, turned out to be a corrupt USB flash drive. Do you have another thumbdrive to test with? Have you tried imaging the USB drive again?

Omniman
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am

It might be worth trying the F6 storage driver upload during the drive partitioning screen.
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 am

Noinoi wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

There are often several different "Boot from USB" options listed, depending on if UEFI is being used, etc. If the Esc key is specific to "Boot from USB", it might just be specific to the wrong option in the list. I would bring up the full boot menu, or change the sequence in the BIOS.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm

For what you're doing, it wont matter(even if there was some difference).

True, you may be booting the wrong image off the USB Key.

Go into your UEFI and use its boot option to load the UEFI image on the thumbdrive.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:19 pm

I would try using the UEFI shell to load the boot manager directly. I'd also nuke the contents of the internal hard disk(s) before anything else, since the symptoms match a bad/corrupted ESP.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:52 pm

OK, so I've mucked around with firmware settings a bit - turns out Secure Boot wasn't having it. Guess I'll just have to turn it off since I'm not going to need it anyway.

At least I get to stay in UEFI mode.

I'm curious, though: normally it displays a warning that the thing isn't bootable, though, and not silently fail.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am

Noinoi wrote:
OK, so I've mucked around with firmware settings a bit - turns out Secure Boot wasn't having it. Guess I'll just have to turn it off since I'm not going to need it anyway.

I'm curious, though: normally it displays a warning that the thing isn't bootable, though, and not silently fail.

I would still do "clean" with diskpart, that way no old information is there(this also wipes the hidden boot/efi partition). This will allow Win 10 Creators update to create everything as it sees fit, instead of re-using. You should not need to turn off secure boot.

Also, fyi, you usually need to go into UEFI more than once. You will only see some options after you have a UEFI aware OS installed. And than turn on some options, you need to let it reboot again to see new options. For example the intel CPU/Chipset based TPM stuff.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
Noinoi wrote:

I would still do "clean" with diskpart, that way no old information is there(this also wipes the hidden boot/efi partition). This will allow Win 10 Creators update to create everything as it sees fit, instead of re-using. You should not need to turn off secure boot.

Also, fyi, you usually need to go into UEFI more than once. You will only see some options after you have a UEFI aware OS installed. And than turn on some options, you need to let it reboot again to see new options. For example the intel CPU/Chipset based TPM stuff.

Hmm, retrying again now works.

I guess something with the boot partition might have been wack or something.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Forge wrote:
the symptoms match a bad/corrupted ESP.

Sorry. Had to. ;)
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.