Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mackuive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Incorrect password during Windows 10 login

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:06 am

I signed in Windows 10 with my Microsoft account. After updating the OS, the computer says password incorrect. Then I reset the password of my MS account and login with the new password. The problem still exists.

Anyone knows what is going on in here?

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Incorrect password during Windows 10 login

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 am

I don't know what's going on, but I can tell you from personal experience that the MS Account password associated with your Windows 10 install won't automatically update. It updates itself after you log in.

It might be as simple as logging into Windows with either 1) your old MS password or 2) your old PC password.

This is one of the reasons that I haven't synced my PC with my MS account, and also why I always add an emergency local admin account in case I need to fix something later.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
This is one of the reasons that I haven't synced my PC with my MS account

Unfortunately, there's now a good reason to do so: one of the major Win10 updates changed Windows Activation to be married more tightly to the Microsoft account. You may only be able to reactivate Windows 10 after a major hardware change (motherboard, typically) if the computer has a linked ID. That multi-block hash or whatever, and the automated phone assistant who provides another one, are deprecated. If the digital ID is linked, Activation will offer a list of linked devices, let you select the one that has changed, and attempt to re-activate. Without that a permanent activation failure will occur, and you must call the Microsoft Answer Desk during business hours and hope the tech accepts your "not a pirate" explanation.

The techs are apparently trained to accept a motherboard failure/replacement as a legitimate reason provided the COA code doesn't show up with a fishy history, but that was 20 minutes of my life that I'm not getting back.
Last edited by ludi on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Depends on the OS password originally, if it has none you should just be able to hit enter to log in. Doesn't hurt to double check that your caps lock is off too.

mackuive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I don't know what's going on, but I can tell you from personal experience that the MS Account password associated with your Windows 10 install won't automatically update. It updates itself after you log in.

It might be as simple as logging into Windows with either 1) your old MS password or 2) your old PC password.

This is one of the reasons that I haven't synced my PC with my MS account, and also why I always add an emergency local admin account in case I need to fix something later.

I did have a local admin account but forgot the password since it has been months that not signing with it.

Thanks

roneys0
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

It is possible that the keyboard layout for the login has changed. Try to click the Ease of Access icon and use the on-screen keyboard to type your password.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 pm

This is a long shot, but it could be that your keyboard just happened to die. I got locked out of my account at work once because of too many failed login attempts; the problem turned out to be that the Shift key on my keyboard was no longer functional!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mackuive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:24 am

roneys0 wrote:
It is possible that the keyboard layout for the login has changed. Try to click the Ease of Access icon and use the on-screen keyboard to type your password.

keyboard is fine.

roneys0
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm

mackuive wrote:
roneys0 wrote:

keyboard is fine.

keyboard layout is an OS setting which can cause your keyboard not function as expected. For example, type the key 'c' on your physical keyboard and you may get the digit number '2'.
If you still couldn't login, you can use this method to create a new admin account on your PC. It requires you having a Windows install disk.

Maskerh
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 pm

mackuive wrote:
I signed in Windows 10 with my Microsoft account. After updating the OS, the computer says password incorrect. Then I reset the password of my MS account and login with the new password. The problem still exists.

Anyone knows what is going on in here?

how did you reset your MS online account?

Maskerh
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm

rones0 wrote:
maive wrote:
roys0 wrote:

keyboard is fine.

keyboard layout is an OS setting which can cause your keyboard not function as expected. For example, type the key 'c' on your physical keyboard and you may get the digit number '2'.
If you still couldn't login, you can use this method to create a new admin account on your PC. It requires you having a Windows install disk.

1. a microsoft id eg [email protected] will unlock the desktop/ shares if the desktop computer has being updated to a full Microsoft account... fyi a fresh WX install will default to this.
2. If you just left the w7 upgraded as a local account then that should be the password now,
3. unless you didn't give it admin rights or didn't set a password for the local account... in which case your out of luck.

zsery
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:16 am

Maskerh wrote:
rones0 wrote:
maive wrote:

keyboard is fine.

1. a microsoft id eg [email protected] will unlock the desktop/ shares if the desktop computer has being updated to a full Microsoft account... fyi a fresh WX install will default to this.
2. If you just left the w7 upgraded as a local account then that should be the password now,
3. unless you didn't give it admin rights or didn't set a password for the local account... in which case your out of luck.

OP can log into his Microsoft account to reset password,but i don't have MS,so what i can do is :https://www.mobiledic.com/windows-topic/bypass-windows-password.html

johnbee
Gerbil In Training

Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 am

You can remove the hard drive and reconnect it to another pc, only in this way,you are allowed to copy all the data and files (Like excel files,documents,videos and photos, etc) from one drive to the other.then it is time to reinstall for your computer.and you can retrieve all the data from device to this computer.
By the way,this way can helps you to reset password for Windows computer
Last edited by johnbee on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 28, 2019 4:15 am

Pretty sure Hiren's Boot CD has a password reset tool that works with W10. The name says CD, but you can use Rufus to make a USB boot drive with the .iso.