Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

 
jmc2
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 am

Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:00 am

I set my Hard drives to go to sleep after 15 minutes.
Now if I move an icon from point A to point B on SSD W7 desktop there is a several second
lag before I can move the icon.
That has to be the hard drives waking up and that is crazy!

I'm now remembering trying this years before and finding that if I even put in a dvd to watch a movie
the drives will spin up and lag everything.
I could hear the old ones but can not hear the new green 6TB drives spin up.
As spin up is supposed the be the hardest wear on a drive, this may make sleeping them pointless.

Is W10 any better or just as bad as W7. I want individual control of drive sleeping.(that actually works)
That the drive will wake up only when I click on the drive itself and at no other time.

Thoughts welcome.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49700
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:22 am

The point is to put the drives to sleep when you're not using the system. If you're moving icons around or inserting DVDs, you're using the system! While I agree it is kind of silly for Windows to wake up drives before it knows you need something on those drives, I don't really see this as something you need to worry about. If you seem to be frequently spinning the drives back up soon after they have spun down, that means you've got the timeout set too short; so just set it to something longer.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am

Are you sure some part of windows is not on the HDD? Windows has always been good about not waking my HDD drives unless it was necessary.

My best guess would be you have something linked to HDD on desktop. As Windows Explorer scans desktop to do your move request, that wakes up HDD.
 
BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 pm

The wear-and-tear of spin-up wouldn't be a problem if you installed SSDs. :P :lol:

And Windows 7 was so long ago that I don't remember anything about fine-tuning drive sleeping.
 
synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 am

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 pm

What blahsaysblah said - IME Win7 is good about not waking up drives it doesn't need to wake up. If nothing else, setting the spin-down time to 30-45 minutes shouldn't have much downside, though.
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4215
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm

jmc2 wrote:
I set my Hard drives to go to sleep after 15 minutes.
Now if I move an icon from point A to point B on SSD W7 desktop there is a several second
lag before I can move the icon.
That has to be the hard drives waking up and that is crazy!

I'm now remembering trying this years before and finding that if I even put in a dvd to watch a movie
the drives will spin up and lag everything.
I could hear the old ones but can not hear the new green 6TB drives spin up.
As spin up is supposed the be the hardest wear on a drive, this may make sleeping them pointless.

Is W10 any better or just as bad as W7. I want individual control of drive sleeping.(that actually works)
That the drive will wake up only when I click on the drive itself and at no other time.

Thoughts welcome.


Did you use folder redirection to move your Desktop profile folder over to the HDD?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.
 
jmc2
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:43 am

blahsaysblah wrote:
Are you sure some part of windows is not on the HDD? Windows has always been good about not waking my HDD drives unless it was necessary.

My best guess would be you have something linked to HDD on desktop. As Windows Explorer scans desktop to do your move request, that wakes up HDD.


Want to thank everyone for the thoughts and comments here.

If I'm not using my computer it is shut down completely.
It was just that the hard drives are not being used most of the day.
The main work is moved to the SSDs and kept there till finished

I've not done anything unusual with the hard drives, just storage drives.

Now your "linked" comment may be correct.
I keep a folder for each drive open on the desktop all the time
in case I need one of the files while editing .
Probably having the open folders causes the horrible lag on the desk
top. Can't stand that so the drives are no longer allowed to sleep.

Hmm, maybe I can go to external USB storage. I know they turn off.
But do they wake up because I opened an optical drive etc. Must test this.

Thanks.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7444
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Move icon on SSD W7 desktop, Hdrives wakeup!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Now your "linked" comment may be correct.
I keep a folder for each drive open on the desktop all the time
in case I need one of the files while editing .
Probably having the open folders causes the horrible lag on the desk
top. Can't stand that so the drives are no longer allowed to sleep.

Or, just don't keep those folders open? Switching to external storage won't change anything if that's how you manage your workflow. Every time you do something on the desktop that causes Explorer to perform a refresh, it will poll those locations and if that wakes up any sleeping HDDs, you will have a "hitch" while the disk spins up.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests