Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Changing partion size - Surface Pro

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

I have just gotten Surface Pro with 512GB internal SSD drive and want to reduce the partition to create a data partition.

I tried using the utility which comes with the OS(Disk management) but it allows shrinking it no less than about 260GB. Next I tried a third party utility(Partition Master) which I have used and familiar with but ended up with messed up partition.

I restored the original condition using the recovery drive. My present thinking is to install W10 and in the process set the partition for the size I want. Is there any other idea? Any suggestion?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Changing partion size - Surface Pro

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am

Shrinking is difficult/impossible beyond a certain point because Windows places files halfway into any partition you install it on. Best bet, if you have the time/motivation, is to reinstall W10 as you plan.

I believe there are tools to do this beyond the 50% reduction you've noted, but I don't have any recent experience with them.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Waco wrote:
Shrinking is difficult/impossible beyond a certain point because Windows places files halfway into any partition you install it on. Best bet, if you have the time/motivation, is to reinstall W10 as you plan.

I believe there are tools to do this beyond the 50% reduction you've noted, but I don't have any recent experience with them.

Thanks Waco for the reply.
Is there anyone who did what I want to do using any third party utility?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm

churin wrote:

Have you tried Minitool Partition Wizard? The free version is surprisingly powerful.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 pm

ludi wrote:
churin wrote:

Have you tried Minitool Partition Wizard? The free version is surprisingly powerful.

I tried that utility but RESIZE/MOVE was not enabled(greyed) and could not resize the partition. Did you use the MiniTool Partition Wizard on Surface Pro?
Last edited by churin on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 pm

churin wrote:
ludi wrote:
churin wrote:

I tried but RESIZE/MOVE was not enabled(greyed) and could not resize the partition. Did you use the MiniTool on Surface Pro?

No, I don't have a Surface anything. PW has worked well on other systems for me, so I figured it was worth a shot.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Waco wrote:
Shrinking is difficult/impossible beyond a certain point because Windows places files halfway into any partition you install it on.

Serious question: why? I can't think of any reason that would be beneficial.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:

MFT = master file table

File table = lots of accesses

lot of accesses = middle of disk is optimum for head movement (on average) (for spinning disks).

EDIT: then again, I always thought the MFT was at the beginning of the disk? I guess I have no idea.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Glorious wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

MFT = master file table

File table = lots of accesses

lot of accesses = middle of disk is optimum for head movement (on average) (for spinning disks).

EDIT: then again, I always thought the MFT was at the beginning of the disk? I guess I have no idea.

The primary is at the beginning, the secondary is in the middle for quicker access IIRC. Even with SSDs, the second copy is retained for redundancy.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.