Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 pm

The install process went where check mark need be place for "I accept the license terms", but I could not place the check mark. The touch screen functionality does not work and only way to control is to use Tab key, arrow keys and Enter key.
Anyone did W10 clean install on Surface Pro?

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm

churin wrote:
The install process went where check mark need be place for "I accept the license terms", but I could not place the check mark. The touch screen functionality does not work and only way to control is to use Tab key, arrow keys and Enter key.
Anyone did W10 clean install on Surface Pro?

All the time. The best option is just to hook a USB keyboard to it.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Keep in mind while tabbing/shift-tabbing around that the space bar acts like the left mouse key. You can actually install W10 just fine with keyboard only. However, I've never had a touchscreen-enabled PC, only tablets and phones. Sounds like you may need to plug in some gadgets.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Wow. That is terrible.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Yes, a USB mouse works. I have just realized that I overlooked the track pad on Surface Pro because I hate it and do not normally use.

The install process moved forward but an error message is now returned as follows:

Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files reqired for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code. 0x80070003

I downloaded the install files from MS about one hour ago and created the bootable USB install drive.

Should I try to install again, re-create bootable USB drive, download the install files anew, . . . ?
Any suggestion?

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I tried the USB install drive again and a new error message as follows. Looks like I need to do something on UEFI settings. Problem is I pressed Windows key but nothing happened. I tried a recovery USB drive created out of the Surface Pro, but still the same error. I am stuck to this now.
Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

AutoAym
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

How did you build your Win10 USB installer?
ie. Did you use Rufus/some other tool to burn an ISO to a USB stick or did you use the Win10 MCT from MIcrosoft?

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

I used Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 pm

I tried a bootable USB install drive created by using RUFUS, but the same error message was returned.
I tried various third party disk utility from bootable USB sticks but got the same error message. It appears only way-out from this situation is to go into EUFI firmware settings. But this is not possible because Windows Key does not work.

Is there any way out?

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 am

I contacted MS techsupport and he concluded the session saying that it needs be replaced with a new unit. Looks like the culprit is EUFI firmware bug.