Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

curtisb
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Update

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm

I just got the following email from my Dell sales rep regarding Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. All bold or italicized emphasis was in the original email. I don't recall seeing anywhere that Xeon's with more than 4 cores would require this version. Sure, I expected there to be a cutoff, but that's a pretty low requirement. For that matter, the one bullet even says that 4-core Xeons will ship with the for Workstations version, although it doesn't mention that it's the more expensive version like the next bullet does.

We use Enterprise anyway, but the way our volume agreement is we still have to order a machine with a COA. We just order with the lowest version the system will ship with. For now, we don't have any systems with more than 4-core CPU's, but that could change going forward as the CPU landscape changes.

Good afternoon!

Microsoft recently announced Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, a new edition of Windows, with support for specific features listed below. Windows Pro for Workstations will begin shipping on Dell Precision systems with Intel Xeon processors on October 3, 2017.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations:
  • launches October 3, 2017
  • is required for Windows Pro systems with Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron processors
  • includes a Microsoft cost increase based on hardware specifications
  • enables new features that Microsoft will make available in with the fall update but some features require new hardware capability to support in the future
  • requires new sets of SKUs to be offered
  • does not require an image change

With these changes required by Microsoft, workstation customers will now have three Windows OS pricing levels.

1. For customers using Intel Core i3/5/7 CPUs, workstation systems will be deployed with Windows Professional.
  2. For customers using Intel Xeon CPUs with 4 cores in a configuration, workstation systems will be deployed with a version of Windows Professional for Workstations.
  3. For customers using Intel Xeon CPUs with more than 4 cores in a configuration, workstation systems will be deployed with a more expensive version of Windows Professional for Workstations.

As your strategic advisor, we want to ensure that your organization understands and plans for of this new mandatory edition for Intel Xeon and AMD Opteron processors. Precision Xeon orders placed before October 3, 2017 will ship with standard Windows 10 Pro and may be upgraded by purchasing the Workstation edition through the Microsoft Store. Precision system orders with Xeon processors placed on or after October 3, 2017 must include the new edition.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations offers the following new capabilities as part of the Fall Creators Update (some features require future hardware readiness to support):
  • Resilient file system (ReFS): Enhance the resilience, performance and scalability of workstation machines by running Microsoft’s server grade ReFS file system designed for high fault tolerance and to handle large data volume. Applications should re-test with this feature. HW requirement: most likely two or more storage drives in RAID mode, need to re-format when going from NTFS to ReFS
  • Fast I/O with Persistent Memory (NVDIMM): Enable demanding workloads to access important files at the speed of memory with high-end persistent memory hardware configurations. HW requirement: new Intel Skylake SP+ and Skylake W Xeons with future NVDIMM-N storage + BIOS update
  • Faster File Sharing with SMB Direct: SMB Direct facilitates file transfers between PCs and Servers with large datasets, all with high throughput, low latency and low CPU usage. Limitation: Feature not available via wireless LAN, only via selected LAN card
  • Expanded Hardware Support: 4 CPUs + 6TB memory. Currently, no Dell platforms to support

We are committed to working with you in developing any and all options based on this mandatory licensing change.

Dell Precisions with Intel Xeon processors running Windows operating systems will launch with the Windows 10 Pro for Workstations edition October 3rd, 2017 globally. Outstanding quotes will change to the new edition for all orders placed on or after October 3rd 2017 with the associated price increase. The initial capabilities listed above will become available approximately in December when Microsoft launches Fall Creators Update, the newest version of Windows. We will help you with your Windows 10 options and strategy. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please note that this does not impact the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC versions of the Microsoft OS.
Thanks!
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Update

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Ugh. I can't decide how pissed off I am, is it extremely with Microsoft for this utter BS, or double-plus WTF!!! with Dell for not (yet) informing me. :evil:

Almost all of my Precision orders over the last 17 years have been RedHat ones though, but still FFS.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1