Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

dortmunder
Gerbil
Topic Author

No wireless internet on bootup

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi. I have Windows 10 which is wirelessly connected using an Edimax nano USB adapter. For a month or so, I've had a problem when I boot up in the morning – 'connected, no internet' or 'no wireless network found'. The fix is either to disconnect/connect, disable/enable or, when that fails, unplug/replug the router.

Later bootups during the day are usually fine. It's all very frustrating – can anyone suggest cause and cure? My thanks if you can.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: No wireless internet on bootup

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:41 am

I had a similar problem with the intel LAN on a friends computer.
Windows always tried to detect [number]LE as a network card on boot, but the card was actually a [number]V, which got recognized if we initiated a search for hardware changes.

The solution was to disable fast boot b/c hardware recognition somehow did not work properly when it was enabled.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

dortmunder
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 am

Yes, I read previously about disabling Win10 fast boot. Unfortunately, that didn't have any effect on my problem.

rhtray78
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I would recommend you to update network adapter driver.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm

First, what motherboard (or PC model) is this?

I'd definitely check to make sure you have the latest drivers, though a glance at the Edimax page suggests they haven't updated anything for Win10 in a while. You said this has been happening for a month, but it was fine before that?

When the issue occurs, is it after a cold boot or a wake from sleep / hibernation? Some devices don't do a good job waking from some/all of the sleep states, so sometimes a solution can be found by adjusting the device sleep settings in Windows "Power Options" and/or in the BIOS

If it only happens when the machine is booting cold, and given that this is a network device hanging off USB, there could well be a timing or some other issue in terms of when the whole USB device tree gets initialized vs when Windows is looking for the network during the initial boot phase. It's possible there's a BIOS setting that can help.

You will probably have to do a little troubleshooting to narrow down the problem. When Win10 is complaining about no network adapter, open an admin command prompt and have a look at devmgmt.msc to see whether the your network adapter is listed, missing, or listed with a warning (! symbol). If it seems to be there, then from the command prompt you can do an ipconfig /all to see what Windows thinks is happening with the IP stack (and, if you're in the "connected but no internet" state, an ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew might fix it, or at least tell us something).