Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Windows 10 Fall Update Build 1709

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 am

Noinoi wrote:
That apparently didn't work, even after running it twice (since the first time I ran into an Internet connectivity issue).

Guess the "slow way" it is, then - referring to my laptop. (I do use some of the apps.)

They just fixed some related crap (apps that wouldn't uninstall on a new profile because they always kept coming back no matter what) so maybe that's still work in progress.

It's funny cause I actually love using Windows Runtime apps but the Store and related ongoing problems seem ridiculous. I know, I might have less problems if I wasn't on the Insider tracks (and I hope not to be in the future) but *insert swearing here.*
Meow.

End User

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 am

bthylafh wrote:
curtisb wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I need to talk to my IT to allow it. I can't even install the spring update!
It "installs" and reboots but then doesn't actually update. The first screen after reboot is for selecting the keyboard language and then the next is a generic multi-boot option window which the only real option is "exit the installer". Boo!

You're in an enterprise environment...you shouldn't be trying to install it on your own. There's a reason we don't give people admin access. You don't know what sort of problems you updating will create for any management systems. For example, Configuration Manager requires an update to be able to manage new Windows 10 versions properly. :)

Also if you're running Win10 Enterprise that's usually not available right away. Seems like it normally takes a few weeks for an updated build to show up at the volume licensing site.

As the spring update (Creators Update?) is also problematic I'd say a) there is an issue with that workstation or b) the IT department is lagging behind on the updates.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 am

End User wrote:
The IT department is lagging behind on the updates.
In corporate IT, this is a 100% given. IT people seem to get lazier and more prone to procrastination as time goes on.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

End User

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 am

curtisb wrote:
For example, Configuration Manager requires an update to be able to manage new Windows 10 versions properly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/c ... windows-10

Configuration Manager 1706

Supported Windows 10 versions:

1703 (known as the Creators Update) Supported
1709 (known as the Fall Creators Update) Backwards compatible

Editions: Enterprise, Pro, Education, Pro Education

Backwards compatible - This means that existing client management features (hardware inventory, software inventory, software updates, etc.) should work with the new Windows 10 release. Any known issues or caveats will be documented.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 am

LostCat wrote:
Noinoi wrote:
That apparently didn't work, even after running it twice (since the first time I ran into an Internet connectivity issue).

Guess the "slow way" it is, then - referring to my laptop. (I do use some of the apps.)

They just fixed some related crap (apps that wouldn't uninstall on a new profile because they always kept coming back no matter what) so maybe that's still work in progress.

It's funny cause I actually love using Windows Runtime apps but the Store and related ongoing problems seem ridiculous. I know, I might have less problems if I wasn't on the Insider tracks (and I hope not to be in the future) but *insert swearing here.*

Upon a second look, it appears that it's just the pinned apps never updating for Microsoft apps and games.

Odd bug. At least it's easy to recreate them.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

BIF

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:58 am

I haven't had a chance to read all posts in this thread, so just in case anybody is Folding for Frankie, please be sure to check the F@H client after your upgrade to 1709. If you don't, your GPU slots may not fold properly, especially if you're using Geforce GPUs.

I'm running Geforce Experience right now to reinstall the drivers that Microsoft knocked out of commission with the OS upgrade.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Seems like idle RAM usage went up a bit. I have 8GB and in 1703 my computer had about 26% used with just background and system tray stuff running, but in 1709 it's up to about 33% usage.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Non-bootable update for me. Hurray.

My desktop updated last night on shutdown. On boot today, no video, monitor says "no cable connected". Wait a few minutes, it restarts on its own, and I see "Reverting to previous version of Windows" and get a "Oops, that didn't work" message upon login. You'd think they'd include a way to quickly see what it *thought* went wrong, but no, I get to dig into the logs by hand. Fun. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

End User wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
curtisb wrote:
You're in an enterprise environment...you shouldn't be trying to install it on your own. There's a reason we don't give people admin access. You don't know what sort of problems you updating will create for any management systems. For example, Configuration Manager requires an update to be able to manage new Windows 10 versions properly. :)

Also if you're running Win10 Enterprise that's usually not available right away. Seems like it normally takes a few weeks for an updated build to show up at the volume licensing site.

As the spring update (Creators Update?) is also problematic I'd say a) there is an issue with that workstation or b) the IT department is lagging behind on the updates.

He doesn't have administrative privileges to the workstation...there's nothing wrong with it. He mentioned in another reply that he's in a testing group for Windows 10. They're likely testing a specific configuration, so him updating would put him out of the configuration they're testing. Updating your personal machine at home is one thing, but in an enterprise environment where time is literally money, you run what your IT department has tested to be stable.

There's also the fact that they could be running on the Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB), which would have its own issues with updating.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
End User wrote:
The IT department is lagging behind on the updates.
In corporate IT, this is a 100% given. IT people seem to get lazier and more prone to procrastination as time goes on.

It's not so much laziness and procrastination in some cases. In my case it's that there are only so many hours in the day. I'm responsible for managing all servers, storage, switches, firewalls, software deployments, patch management, software updates, Windows deployment configuration, plus dealing with day-to-day issues. I have to prioritize what's the most important, and sometimes that simply means keeping things operational so users can work. We're still on Windows 8.1, but that's definitely not due to laziness or procrastination. I have been hard at work on getting Windows 10 ready to go, and the Fall Creator's Update will be our starting point.

IT responsibilities continue to grow, but often times the teams sizes don't. I've actually lost team members (due to state government budget issues) and it's all we can do to keep from drowning in the never ending tasks that we have to accomplish on a daily basis.

Now in other cases, it's definitely laziness. My wife works for a major clothing retailer. They were running Windows 8.1 on Dell XPS 12's until last year...and they went backwards to Windows 7 on the new laptops they purchased. I've told her for years that their IT department sucks.

End User wrote:
curtisb wrote:
For example, Configuration Manager requires an update to be able to manage new Windows 10 versions properly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/c ... windows-10

Configuration Manager 1706

Supported Windows 10 versions:

1703 (known as the Creators Update) Supported
1709 (known as the Fall Creators Update) Backwards compatible

Editions: Enterprise, Pro, Education, Pro Education

Backwards compatible - This means that existing client management features (hardware inventory, software inventory, software updates, etc.) should work with the new Windows 10 release. Any known issues or caveats will be documented.

Assuming they're even running SCCM, you're assuming they've upgraded to SCCM 1706. FWIW, SCCM 1706 was released to support Windows 10 1709. Windows 10 1703 was "supported" in SCCM 1702 via backwards compatibility. Full support for Windows 10 1703 wasn't available until SCCM 1706. My point still stands that new versions of SCCM are required to support new versions of WIndows 10. Full support for Windows 10 1709 won't actually come until the next release of SCCM.

They've definitely made SCCM easier to upgrade. Getting into the current branch from SCCM 2012 R2 is now an in-place upgrade, and once you're into the current branch, updates can be initiated from within the SCCM Console. There are still some steps that might need to be taken manually, like upgrading the ADK on the site server, but overall it's much easier than it used to be.

SCCM was only an example. There are many other considerations that must be taken into account, to include third-party antivirus software.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Waco wrote:
Non-bootable update for me. Hurray.

My desktop updated last night on shutdown. On boot today, no video, monitor says "no cable connected". Wait a few minutes, it restarts on its own, and I see "Reverting to previous version of Windows" and get a "Oops, that didn't work" message upon login. You'd think they'd include a way to quickly see what it *thought* went wrong, but no, I get to dig into the logs by hand. Fun. :lol:

same as me. with an Rx460 and a q6600

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

solved upgrading to latest radeon drivers, 17.10.2

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm

No issues on my wife's computer. AMD A8 APU on an AM2+ mobo using onboard video.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 am

Second try succeeded on my desktop. I did have to reinstall all of the various Visual Studio redistributables and DirectX, though, before many games would work (first one I noticed was Skyrim: SE).
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 am

So apparently it is an interaction with the full-disk encryption that is blocking the updates. IT decrypted my disk, so now to try to install the update...