Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Weird behavior with with multiple monitors

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

So I use 4 monitors, one is actually a tv which I don't use most of the time. For whatever reason, after my computer wakes from sleep, it shifts the position of all my windows across different monitors. The maddening thing is it almost always takes my main chrome tabs and sticks them on the tv that isn't even turned on! If I'm playing a game like starcraft or civ, and I step away, hoping to resume in 30 mins or so, it ends up full screen on a monitor that's entirely not setup to play a game (not my main).

I perused this thread looking for answers, but it looks like this is just something MSFT never really sorted out with Windows 10, are others having this experience?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ff3?auth=1

By the way my taskbar also changes screens for whatever reason, even if I lock it.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Weird behavior with with multiple monitors

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 pm

I have a similar issue, and for me I think it depends on the fact my primary monitor first presents as a normal monitor then switches to freesync mode that is a different device, so kind of weird.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 am

I won't say I have an identical issue, but it sounds similar.

For me it happens only on my work PC, and only for one out of six users configured on that PC. The user accounts all have their monitors configured identically (two identical displays, all configured with identical resolution, orientation, and position relative to each other, with all user accounts configured to use the same physical display as the 'main' display for Windows).

For my user account, if I ever lock the computer and another user logs in then, when they log out and I log back in to my account, all applications will have maintained their location in the display, but swapped which display they appear on... very frustrating! I have not found a resolution to the issue

This machine is running an AMD GPU - my last best guess was that somehow Windows was re-enumerating/re-associating the displays as part of the user log off/log in process, and not mapping the windows back to the appropriate display.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 am

This happens to me on some monitors connected via HDMI. Windows treats them like external displays (like connecting an external monitor or projector on a laptop), and then the display goes to sleep it gets disconnected, sometimes causing windows on it to be moved to another display (usually the primary). Sometimes it's not when the display sleeps or is turned off, but when it's turned back on that it gets re-enumerated causing the aforementioned behaviour.

It doesn't happen to my primary display (connected via DP, but then again it is the primary), and any monitors connected via DVI.

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm

The worst for me is when a full screen game ends up no longer on my main screen, but on one of the screens I have set vertically. Try using the menus going from 3440x1440 to 1600x2560.

Is there no fix for this?

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 pm

When this happens, do you get any message/notification that the display driver crashed & was restarted, which is why the windows were shuffled around?

If yes, then please try increasing the Timeout Detection and Recovery delay (i.e. method 3 on this Microsoft support article).

TLDR: In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers create a new QWORD (64-bit) named TdrDelay with a value of 8, and reboot.
For 32-bit Windows, create a 32-bit DWORD instead.

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 am

arunphilip wrote:
When this happens, do you get any message/notification that the display driver crashed & was restarted, which is why the windows were shuffled around?

If yes, then please try increasing the Timeout Detection and Recovery delay (i.e. method 3 on this Microsoft support article).

TLDR: In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers create a new QWORD (64-bit) named TdrDelay with a value of 8, and reboot.
For 32-bit Windows, create a 32-bit DWORD instead.

No driver crash, 3 of my screens are connected with display port, the tv is through HDMI, running on an nvidia titan.