Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

dortmunder
Gerbil
Topic Author

My audio has vanished

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:37 am

Hi. I have a Windows 10 PC and a monitor with built-in speakers - an HDMI cable connects them. A couple of days ago, I noticed I had no sound but I got it back by clicking 'Troubleshoot sound problems' via the sound icon in the system tray. It told me it had fixed something but didn't say what.

Today, I installed 'lav filters' (which I've had before with no problem) and later noticed that my sound had gone again. I can't be sure that installing lav filters was the cause but I uninstalled them anyway. Unfortunately, I still have no sound and 'Troubleshoot' doesn't help anymore. It tells me there's a driver problem which will fix when I restart but I still have no sound.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how to fix it? Thank you so much if you can.

UPDATE: I'm sorted. I went into Device Manager/Sound and saw 2 entries - High Definition Audio Device (my monitor) and Intel(R) Display Audio. The Intel had a warning triangle against it so I clicked Update Driver and that was all that was needed. What could have caused the driver to fail/disappear in the first place?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: My audio has vanished

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:45 am

Intel's graphics drivers were updated recently. Maybe something got corrupted during the installation.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ivers.html
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

dortmunder
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: My audio has vanished

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Sounds feasible. Thank you for that.