Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Modern Apps Broken Again!?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 am

This seems like an every other update occurrence with Windows 10. Just curious how many others have had the fun of trying to reinstall the Windows 10 "Modern Apps" that fail and then prevent you from opening the start menu and any of the new "apps". It blows me away that this bug seems to still exist in newer releases of Windows 10. Currently looking at a fresh install as I was able to get it to work temporarily with PowerShell but now it's just giving me the good ole' "CTRL+ALT+YOU"!

Seriously Microsoft, this is probably the single most annoying reoccuring bug in Windows 10 that has existed since at least release if not beta.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Modern Apps Broken Again!?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Whelp... did the Windows 10 "Reset" PC where it uninstalls all of the apps. Was working good for a bit, but back to being broken. Got to love this crap.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 pm

My usual troubleshooting process for them:
Is Windows up to date, including video and audio drivers?
Do they work if I go back to the default antivirus?

If yes, problem solved and never use that antivirus again. :p
Meow.

Kougar

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 am

Don't think I've run into that issue before. Then again I almost never use the MS store and I used powershell to nuke most of the bundled apps I couldn't uninstall via apps & features.

thecoldanddarkone

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 am

I've never really had a problem with modern apps except in a specific instance. When I sysprep stuff.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 am

I don't use Modern apps per se either. But the Windows Start menu and all of the Win 10 menus for settings are apart of the Windows 10 Modern apps suite. If it breaks you cant open any of those new things.

I've used powershell to get it back in the past for client machines. No video or other major driver issues. System is up to date which may be apart of the issue, recent updates break older hardware regularly. This happens on my wife's older laptop with a first gen Intel CPU.

LostCat

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 am

I'm rather happy my moms Turion 2 laptop is still running Windows 10 happily and it's easily far better than any previous Windows. Score one for a decent video chip :) (Also unsupported, but the machine does still work surprisingly well for modern casual usage...just painful to update.)

Anyway, I think I was just having that happen on my brothers Atom (Bay Trail) machine so yeah I can see how it'd irritate you, but I got the latest Intel graphics drivers on it and it's fine now.

(Was working on all three of his machines at once just for the hell of it.)

(If only the dumb thing had enough space to actually get the latest version of W10 on. Working on it, kinda. He just died so not really feeling the need.)
Meow.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 am

Welch wrote:
But the Windows Start menu and all of the Win 10 menus for settings are a part of the Windows 10 Modern apps suite. If it breaks you cant open any of those new things.

I was unaware of this; good thing to know. I have not had a reason to use modern apps, and I may purposely avoid them if there is the potential for them to break the Win10 start and settings menus.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:02 am

Powershell is the only way to reliably install and uninstall Modern apps that don't behave.

I'd strongly recommend you just try and find normal Win32 or Win64 API applications instead though; no matter how much the pro-Microsoft zealots preach the advantages of Modern apps and UWP apps, they do seem to be a mess in terms of losing your preferences, failing altogether, failing on update, getting replaced by Microsoft's latest zany idea of how you should do something, or are just plain buggy and crash (I assume it's because vendors spend most, if not all, of their time on the core Win32, iOS and Android versions instead).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LostCat

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Powershell is the only way to reliably install and uninstall Modern apps that don't behave.

I'd strongly recommend you just try and find normal Win32 or Win64 API applications instead though; no matter how much the pro-Microsoft zealots preach the advantages of Modern apps and UWP apps, they do seem to be a mess in terms of losing your preferences, failing altogether, failing on update, getting replaced by Microsoft's latest zany idea of how you should do something, or are just plain buggy and crash (I assume it's because vendors spend most, if not all, of their time on the core Win32, iOS and Android versions instead).

I do 'preach,' but not as a full on replacement for the apps you want to use. I don't really ever go outside of the default apps anymore (except browser) and they've been great 95% of the time...really haven't seen those issues at all.

They were a lot less reliable in previous versions of Windows 10, I'll definitely give you that...but then, the entire platform was a lot less mature. These days I don't see the point of win32 at all (except obviously where someone is having issues with them, or it doesn't have the kind of apps you need.)
Meow.

cheesyking

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 am

Welch wrote:
prevent you from opening the start menu and any of the new "apps".

I've run into that 2-3 times now. I think all cases were with people who had never intentionally used a modern app other than the start menu itself so I can't speak about whether the app settings get forgotten.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am

I have been using Windows 10 since the beginning and have never run into this problem. LostCat is probably onto something, though I'd widen the scope beyond AV software. Something on that machine isn't playing nice with UWP, for sure.

Saying "just don't use those apps" is not a viable answer. I'd probably reset the machine again (or install fresh if possible) and then go slowly when adding apps. My PC has the fairly common loadout of Office 2016, Steam, Blizzard, and a handful of UWP games like Killer Instinct and Halo Wars 2, alongside VS 2017 Community and Sonar (RIP Cakewalk). I don't run a third-party anti-virus and I can't say for sure that doing so would break anything, but millions of PCs ship with AV installed and work just fine.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 am

I've not seen it actually break any Modern apps... I am kind of annoyed that they keep reinstalling crap like Candy Crush, and with the most recent update they've installed a couple of VR apps that apparently cannot be uninstalled (or at least, the uninstall options are grayed out) but they're small enough that they can just be ignored.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

cphite wrote:
I've not seen it actually break any Modern apps... I am kind of annoyed that they keep reinstalling crap like Candy Crush, and with the most recent update they've installed a couple of VR apps that apparently cannot be uninstalled (or at least, the uninstall options are grayed out) but they're small enough that they can just be ignored.

...as long as they haven't installed background services which could potentially break something else.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 am

This is one of the two big reasons I'm pushing out Win10 LTSB images instead of plain Win10 Enterprise. Most of my users don't need Metro apps and never use them anyway.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

LostCat

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
...as long as they haven't installed background services which could potentially break something else.

Windows Runtime apps can't install services. At all. They might be considered part of the overall platform though, since VR/AR/whateverR is a big thing right now.
Meow.