Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

W10-1709 not "snappy" SOLVED

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am

Finally found it..."animations" set that crap to off!
Now things snap open and closed! YAY!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Everything seems to hesitate in W10-1709.
Open a window and it seems to "grow" onto the screen.
I hate that.
I want everything, windows, menus etc to snap open and snap closed.
In W7 I know how to fix that. W10...Argg.

Thanks,
jmc2
Last edited by jmc2 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Re: W10-1709 not "snappy"

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 am

Out of curiosity what's your hardware specs?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am

See the other post, but is your hdd, if you have any, still good? Memory dimms?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 am

Did you just install the Meltdown/Spectre patch? Or has this issue been going on longer?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Everything seems to hesitate in W10-1709.
Open a window and it seems to "grow" onto the screen.
I hate that.
I want everything, windows, menus etc to snap open and snap closed.
In W7 I know how to fix that. W10...Argg.

Thanks,
jmc2

I'm pretty sure the Registry options are the same between W7 and W10. Just set all the eye-candy off and go. There's likely a video driver issue lurking somewhere, but I'd just turn off everything but ClearType and see how you like Windows that way.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

1. For you, Is the Windows 10 an upgrade version? ie you need to install win 7 first, and then install win 10 on top of it, or is installation of win 10 one step?

If step one is true, (upgrade version), then did you install all chipset/drivers for win 7 first, and then install win 10? or did you install win 7 and then immediately install win 10? and then drivers?

Is this the same threadripper system? 4 passes in 2 hours... seems to me you have 8GB tops for dimms, is that correct? My 32 gb needed 8 hours or more for one single pass of memtest.

How many programs do you have installed? Have you checked for viruses or malware?

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Did you just install the Meltdown/Spectre patch? Or has this issue been going on longer?

16 core Threadripper...64 Gig of ram
Everything is on SSDs. W10-1709 is on Samsung 850 Pro 512Gig and everything else
is on Samsung 850 EVO 1TB.
It is still a developing build, installing my programs etc.

Hmm, not too sure what all happened before I got to the update section and told
it to delay updates etc. Pretty sure I kept the pc off the internet till then tho.
But that was before the Meltdown/Spectre patch anyway.

If I understand correctly I have patches etc delayed for...30days?
Even then I don't connect it to the internet if I can help it.

Some program have to be activated over the internet tho.
I download patches etc for things on my 3930 6 core and usb stick them over.

So it not a new problem. I've been benchmarking the W7 install (snappy).
Just started messing with the W10 install.

There is a noticeable delay. I click on something and I may a see a spinning circle
till it opens. Even if no "spinning circle" there is a... 1/4 sec...hesitation.
with programs.
Was hoping there was a setting to turn off opening/sliding animations like W7.
If that is what the problem may be.
The W7 boot is snappy.
I may bite the bullet and buy a M.2 PCie drive and see it that helps. So expensive!

Thanks
jmc2

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm

So it's most likely not a storage problem.
I don't think m.2 would help.
The problem sounds indeed like a driver conflict somewhere.
I would suggest a clean install. Windows 7, then windows 10 immediately. No chipset for win 7, or drivers for win 7, immediately install win 10 from a usb/dvd/cd rom. Then install chipset/drivers tailor made for windows 10.
I hesitate to recommend it 100 percent because of the prevalence of once and done internet activation of expensive software nowadays. e.g. your expensive ms office may tell you to buy it again if you activated it in windows 7 once already.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Registry options are the same between W7 and W10. Just set all the eye-candy off and go. There's likely a video driver issue lurking somewhere, but I'd just turn off everything but ClearType and see how you like Windows that way.

Yeah, that's the problem I can turn that off in W7 but W10 is a Easter egg hunt
to find the options. The AMD 16 core is stuck with an old AMD 6950 video card.
My 8 core Ryzen is on a old,old 4970?
Prices are just too crazy to buy anything right now.

Hmm, when I let the amd video driver check for new drivers it wants me
to go BACK... from a 17 to a 15 driver. Guess I should let it and see if
that helps the hesitations.

Thanks for the thoughts!
jmc2

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Darthutos wrote:
1. For you, Is the Windows 10 an upgrade version? ie you need to install win 7 first, and then install win 10 on top of it, or is installation of win 10 one step?
If step one is true, (upgrade version), then did you install all chipset/drivers for win 7 first, and then install win 10? or did you install win 7 and then immediately install win 10? and then drivers?
Is this the same threadripper system? 4 passes in 2 hours... seems to me you have 8GB tops for dimms, is that correct? My 32 gb needed 8 hours or more for one single pass of memtest.
How many programs do you have installed? Have you checked for viruses or malware?

The W10 was installed as a separate boot install after the W7 install.
I would never do a W10 install over or "upgrade W7 to W10", always a clean install.
Programs installed, only a few VLC,MPClassic,FileLocater Lite,
VideoReDo Pro<(work in progress).

Oh, if you do a W10 "upgrade" over or separate from W7
you MUST activate the W7 install before you do the separate
W10 install or W10 will NOT activate.
Had to activate W7 and then reinstall the separate W10 all over again and it activated.

It is the same 16 core Threadripper but memtest was 1 pass in 2 hours for 64 Gigs ram.
Wow,"8 hours for 32 Gigs" in memtest. 8x longer... I can only guess
as my 16 cores got up to 80c and completed the test in 2 hours with twice the ram
that memtest must really, really use/need a LOT of cores!...again WOW! Core hungry.

Hmm, only thing I can think to check that with is run memtest in a VirtualMachine and
watch the core use with the Host. Am a LONG way from installing VMs in W10.
But the W7 boot should be no problem...will have to remember to check that out.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Darthutos wrote:
So it's most likely not a storage problem.
I don't think m.2 would help.
The problem sounds indeed like a driver conflict somewhere.
I would suggest a clean install. Windows 7, then windows 10 immediately. No chipset for win 7, or drivers for win 7, immediately install win 10 from a usb/dvd/cd rom. Then install chipset/drivers tailor made for windows 10.
I hesitate to recommend it 100 percent because of the prevalence of once and done internet activation of expensive software nowadays. e.g. your expensive ms office may tell you to buy it again if you activated it in windows 7 once already.

Hmm, think what I might do to check that is take out my boot drive for safety and
just do a W10 install by itself (not as a keeper) on a different SSD clean as possible,
install the few programs and see if it has the hesitations.

Program "activation's"... Yep, that is a worry. I have about a half dozen TMPGEnc
video processing programs on my 3930 6 core (2012) and am REALLY hoping they
will transfer over to my 16 core when I try to install them there. Other wise goodby hundreds of dollar to buy them again.

Thanks,
jmc2

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Re: W10-1709 not "snappy" SOLVED

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

No offense, but that's hardly a clean install.

I would suggest a clean install. Windows 7, then windows 10 immediately.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 pm

It's not a clean install, but the way I read the OP's and others posts of this thread, it looked like people would have no choice, that is, if you don't install win 7 and activate it first, win 10 won't activate.
So yeah, you can do an absolute clean install of win 10, then a pop up will come up and say, it's not activated, please do not use pirated copies, etc or something like that.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Darthutos wrote:
It's not a clean install, but the way I read the OP's and others posts of this thread, it looked like people would have no choice, that is, if you don't install win 7 and activate it first, win 10 won't activate.
So yeah, you can do an absolute clean install of win 10, then a pop up will come up and say, it's not activated, please do not use pirated copies, etc or something like that.

Once Windows 10 has been installed and activated on a machine, the hardware configuration gets coded into the activation server. The server will normally reactivate a clean install of Windows 10 after that unless a major component is changed (typically a different motherboard). You don't even have to enter a key, just bypass that stage and it will magically activate later.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

ludi wrote:
Darthutos wrote:

Once Windows 10 has been installed and activated on a machine, the hardware configuration gets coded into the activation server. The server will normally reactivate a clean install of Windows 10 after that unless a major component is changed (typically a different motherboard). You don't even have to enter a key, just bypass that stage and it will magically activate later.

Hmm, So I could wipe the W7/W10 dual boot
(which seems to be required to get W10 to activate)
and once W10 is activated on the computer just install W10 alone
after the drive wipe and W10 would now activate all by it's self?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 pm

jmc2 wrote:
ludi wrote:

Hmm, So I could wipe the W7/W10 dual boot
(which seems to be required to get W10 to activate)
and once W10 is activated on the computer just install W10 alone
after the drive wipe and W10 would now activate all by it's self?

If you previously activated Windows 10 on this machine, regardless of whether it was through the upgrade method or a standalone retail copy, then yes, if you install the same version of Win10 (Pro, Home, whatever it was before) it will auto-activate again by identifying the hardware. If you previously dual-booted an activated Win7 and an unactivated Win10, then no -- the Win7 key has not been converted to a Win10 key in the Microsoft activation server.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration