Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

simbant
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 10 changing language

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

I just bought a Lenovo Desktop and it came with windows 10 Home English preinstalled, and the license says its for a single language.

Can I do a clean install and install windows 10 Home Korean and use the same license ? The support folks here are not quite helpful.

Thanks

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Windows 10 changing language

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:05 pm

No.

A licence with Single Language is basically locked to the display language stated. Even something like installing English US won't work on an English UK licence.

I believe you can upgrade the Single Language licence into a Pro licence, if you wish to keep things legit (though technically it's no longer the same, as you'd be getting a replacement licence). Then switch the display language.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

simbant
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks. Probably better off getting one of them retail license in ebay or amazon. There aren't many listed for Windows 10 Korean though

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

simbant wrote:
Thanks. Probably better off getting one of them retail license in ebay or amazon. There aren't many listed for Windows 10 Korean though

I think any licence that isn't Single Language, regionally restricted, or the China edition should be fine - just that you'll have to add your desired display language later on in Region & Language in PC Settings. Windows 8.x made things quite a lot simpler to get a desired display language, and the same applies in Windows 10.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

simbant
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 am

It specifically states Single Language. Also, I want to install Windows 10 Korean as native and add English as an add on later, If needed. The Dell support staff are quite confusing. though.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am

What Nionoi is saying is that you can buy a retail license - and any retail license that doesn't explicitly say "Single Language" will let you use multiple language.

I have typically seen that SL editions of Windows come preinstalled from OEMs, while retail licenses are not SL. You can't change the language of the SL edition that you already have, it must be replaced with a retail-type license if you want to change the language.

I can't read Korean, but if you go to the S. Korean Microsoft Store website, it seems to list Windows 10 Pro for purchase: https://www.microsoft.com/ko-kr/store/b ... areWindows

EDIT: There is a question on Stack Overflow that has an answer detailing how to change the display language for a single language edition. I'm not posting the link here, as it is quite possibly a violation of the Windows license terms (and by posting that link I'd be afoul of TR's forum policies). Moreover, such hackery will quite likely result in an unsupported configuration that might work on day 1 but breaks down the line (e.g. the next half-yearly update of Windows 10 might break). Nionoi's advice is the best, pick up a retail license.

simbant
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you, I just ordered a retail for around E 10, That should come in handy.

simbant
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I did go through Stack overflow solutions and looks like it's possible to add Display languages.

AlikDiana
Gerbil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 am

You should go to Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language to add the language you need.

After that, set it as the default language.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm

AlikDiana wrote:
You should go to Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language to add the language you need.

That doesn't change Windows's display language though, does it?

(I know it doesn't on Windows 7, and I assume it also doesn't on Windows 10.)

AlikDiana
Gerbil

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Yan wrote:
AlikDiana wrote:

That doesn't change Windows's display language though, does it?

(I know it doesn't on Windows 7, and I assume it also doesn't on Windows 10.)

I change and add languages by this setting, maybe because my license is not the single language. There is another solution from the Microsoft Forum.