Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

mouse cursor position

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

i recently connected two of my PC's to a single monitor/TV. both PC's have win7 OS. one is connected via VGA and the other via HDMI.

my issue is whenever i toggle between the inputs for each PC the mouse cursor moves to the center of the screen and doesn't stay where it was originally left before i switched.

any idea why this is happening and how to fix it ?
I have some programs running that require the cursor to stay at the same position but it moves to the center as soon as i switch to the other computer. i am really trying to avoid having two monitors (one for each computer).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: mouse cursor position

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm

AFAIK that's a normal symptom of connecting/disconnecting a sole monitor from a Windows PC. What you could do, instead of using the TV inputs as your switch, is connect both PCs through a single KVM device that maintains an emulated display signal back to both PCs. That way they don't "see" the monitor being disconnected. As a bonus, you can also route your mouse and keyboard through the KVM and eliminate the duplication.

I use this one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... witch.html

An interesting feature is that you can short-press a source button to see only the display of a connected PC without switching mouse and keyboard.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration