Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

camel
Gerbil
Topic Author

GPU-Accelerated Video Conversion Software?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm looking for recommendations for video conversion software that will use my Nvidia video card to accelerate processing. I have been using VirtualDub for a long time but its performance on my new PC seems no better than my decade-old PC, and I have a new Nvidia video card I would like to use.

I have spent some time researching this. A cursory search led me to Wondershare Video Converter and Movavi Video Converter, but many negative customer comments have now ruled those two out.

I've seen terms like CUDA, QSV and HVENC in reference to various video conversion software but I don't know how to use them.

I've read various forum posts that claim Handbrake can and cannot use a GPU to accelerate processing. The same about ffmpeg. (I use ffmpeg plugin for input on VirtualDub; can that be set to use the GPU to encode?)

Suggestions?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GPU-Accelerated Video Conversion Software?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm

In the case of ffmpeg the short answer is: maybe?

See below for the full breakdown.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

Keep in mind that as described on that page video quality can differ when using hardware or software encoding. I usually went straight to ffmpeg and just let it crank for however long it needed to, but that often requires a working knowledge of how to use it on the command line, and it may not be the ideal solution for your use case.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

camel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

That answered a lot of questions. Thank you.

Redocbew wrote:
...requires a working knowledge of how to use it on the command line, and it may not be the ideal solution for your use case.

No, not ideal for my use case. I am looking for software with a GUI and some basic editing features - hard to do with a command line.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Ffmpeg has nvenc support to encode h264 and HEVC. It works great. It can be 5-10+ times faster than your CPU.

From my understanding their NVENC encoder may not end up having the best peak efficiency and quality compared to a very high preset CPU renderer, so if you want to produce something for final pass encoding for professional consumption you may wish to research that. I'm guessing the speed will be more than worth any tiny trade offs here for hobbyist purposes.

I believe you can also do 2 pass VBR as well on GPU, though I haven't done it.

Add -c:v hevc_nvenc or -c:v h264_nvenc to your command line to select the NV hardware encoder.

It's worth learning ffmpeg command line. It's a great tool, very powerful. The official online documentation is pretty good. I think there are some GUIs for it out there, but the trick might be finding one that is well maintained and easy to use. There are a lot of nobs to tweak.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Staxrip will use NVENC as well. I briefly used it with Intel QSV, but it has the options for Nvidia. It is mostly a wrapper for FFmpeg, but it is easier if you don't want to try to learn command line. It can queue up batches or chew through folders as well. Just make sure you turn on "Clean up temp files" before you fire off a big batch!
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]