Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

AlikDiana
Gerbil
Topic Author

Game Stuttering With FPS Drops After Windows 10 Creators Update

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 pm

The moment I search online for gaming stuttering with fps drops, in the top of the search result, there popped up a forum discussion on GeForce site:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/.

And for us gamers, you must have also known that on Reddit website

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... _the_poor/,

this gaming stuttering problem also evoked heated discussion.

On these two website, considerable NVIDIA users are talking about this games stuttering and low fps problem, oh my god, I cannot believe it, this discussion cannot be hotter. You can see what I mean from the 200+ pages on NVIDIA site regarding this stuttering games discussion. It is too hard to read all the pages.

But to enjoy games smoothly, I tried all the ways on that post article.
My friends, may these solutions can help you. If you are anxious to fix it, try them one by one, my problem seems to disappear for some time because of them, though come back to me soon.

1. Update all NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA official site.

2. Enable Vsync.
To achieve that, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings > Vertical sync > On.

3. Change the Power Management Mode to Prefer maximum performance.
Follow the path: NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Select a program to customize > Power management mode > Prefer maximum performance.

4. Change the processor to NVIDIA GPU rather than CPU in NVIDIA Control Panel > Configure Surround PhysX.

5. Disable Gaming options. Such as Game bar, Game DVR, Xbox Networking.
The Gaming, the new tab since the Creators Update. In Settings > Gaming > Gaming mode, Xbox, turn off these options.

6. Reinstall my games. I have uninstalled my World of War and Crossfire and downloaded them again to my PC.

7. Change settings in games, for example, in Battlefield, I used the lowest settings, but it still cried and the fps remained low( even at the 10’s)

8. Disabled Full screen optimization in Task Manager > .exe file > Properties > Compatibility > Disable Fullscreen optimization. The Rocket League on my PC worked well for a while after this action.

9. Disabled Diagtrack service.

10. Uninstall my antivirus software such as Avast in Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Uninstall.

11. Use Windows update. Check for updates in Settings > Update & Security > Windows update > Check for updates.

12. Disable Intel Turbo Boost.

13. Run SFC on my computer. I have opened the command prompt and entered sfc/scannow command in it. It told me there were some incorrect system files on my PC, and it fixed them for me. But to no avail, my fps still dropped and my games kept weeping.

14. Do a clean boot for my MSI. Go to System Configuration > General > Selective startup. And then choose to uncheck Load startup items. And then in Services, try to disable all the Microsoft services. Finally in Task Manager, disabled all the startup programs, too.

15. Reduce the PC resolution. Go with the path: Settings > System > Display > Scale and layout > Resolution. In this way, the HDR signal after the Creators update would stay away troubling you.

16. Change from creators update 1708 to 1603, but useless.

Guys, these are all the solutions I have ever tried, it helps me for some time, but not completely. Maybe different for your case, hope they can better serve you.

After about several days, accidentally, I came across a site on gaming stuttering and fps drops significantly after Windows Creators Update.

https://windows10skill.com/fix-games-st ... rs-update/

From this link, I gradually knew why we happened to crawling games and at the same time, fps keeps low after the creator's update.
In this post, it included several features about this update they are:

1. Creators update reset NVIDIA control panel settings.

2. It offered gaming options for us.

3. Fullscreen optimization born after the Windows Creators update.

Though at the very beginning, we have enjoyed games, as time goes by, our games started stuttering with fps drops.

In this thread, it showed that many people thought it was the NVIDIA and Microsoft site were to blame, in this case, these two sites have done their best to fix this gaming for us, you can also see the official notice by Microsoft from this link.

In view of this game problem, you can see from the link above that there are many other solutions you can try, such as setting priority for games, update to the right graphics driver and change CPU settings.
For my case, I have resolved my low fps and stuttering games successfully by using the methods suggested on this link. God bless you, too.

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Re: Game Stuttering With FPS Drops After Windows 10 Creators Update

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:13 pm

My experience in win 10 home (week of March 15, 2018) is that the updates will reinstall at the first opportunity the other, non-functional driver regardless of the settings changes and hacks I could find during that week.
In my case a family laptop went way too dim to see or use upon update and reboot. Reinstall working driver fixed it until the next update.

My fix was to install win7 pro instead of throwing it away, but I hear win 10 pro MIGHT let you be selective about drivers and updates. I figured why trust it , particularly since it is going back to a computer illiterate family member.
I hope you can do better. If so please show method of how to stop bad driver from loading.

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 am

I don't think I'm in the minority but I've never had any problems gaming with the Creators Update (or Fall Creators Update). And yes, I know me sharing this might not be helpful, but I don't think the issue is the Creators Update itself, there could be thousands of other possible culprit.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:17 am

EzioAs wrote:
I don't think I'm in the minority but I've never had any problems gaming with the Creators Update (or Fall Creators Update). And yes, I know me sharing this might not be helpful, but I don't think the issue is the Creators Update itself, there could be thousands of other possible culprit.

It's usually MSI Afterburner or some other crapware people have installed.
Meow.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:56 pm

LostCat wrote:
It's usually MSI Afterburner or some other crapware people have installed.

MSI Afterburner is pretty much anti-crapware IMO. It serves its purpose with aplomb and bundles no junk. Am I missing something? It's one of the first things I install if I'm doing any GPU tweaking...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Waco wrote:
MSI Afterburner is pretty much anti-crapware IMO. It serves its purpose with aplomb and bundles no junk. Am I missing something? It's one of the first things I install if I'm doing any GPU tweaking...

2nd'd.

Honestly, I don't think it's (mostly) Windows FCU or CU causing the issues. There are unknown number of insane software installs on people's computers and surely there are conflicts. Surely some of the issues are Nvidia's driver issues. Some of them are poor (relatively) game optimization by game devs. This is just a part of gaming on the PC, especially if you don't have a juiced rig. That's life. Sure, there are things you can try to mitigate the issues, but trying to eliminate every single jitter or frame drop or high frametime just isn't going to be worth the time, money, nor frustration. Buy and install the hardware and software that you like and use, and result in what you want.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Waco wrote:

I agree with this...

DancinJack wrote:
Honestly, I don't think it's (mostly) Windows FCU or CU causing the issues. There are unknown number of insane software installs on people's computers and surely there are conflicts. Surely some of the issues are Nvidia's driver issues. Some of them are poor (relatively) game optimization by game devs. This is just a part of gaming on the PC, especially if you don't have a juiced rig. That's life. Sure, there are things you can try to mitigate the issues, but trying to eliminate every single jitter or frame drop or high frametime just isn't going to be worth the time, money, nor frustration. Buy and install the hardware and software that you like and use, and result in what you want.

...and this. Plus, I think people tend to overestimate their hardware capabilities sometimes. Good PC games provide multiple image quality toggles for a good reason.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

AlikDiana
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm

EzioAs wrote:

Yes, some of the people does not have the game stuttering problem after the creators update, but some people had this problem such as me. I think the article is trust: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-a ... ors-update

And this article explains the neowin, it let me know more about it: https://windows10skill.com/fix-games-st ... -update/#6

Any way, i solved Insurgency, and Overwatch game stuttering problem.

LostCat

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Waco wrote:

It has been known to cause problems with games in major Windows 10 updates. I don't know which ones offhand, because it's been a while.

I've never personally used it, but anything that impacts the base experience negatively goes into the crapware category to me.
Meow.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

LostCat wrote:
Waco wrote:

It has been known to cause problems with games in major Windows 10 updates. I don't know which ones offhand, because it's been a while.

I've never personally used it, but anything that impacts the base experience negatively goes into the crapware category to me.

It's been known? That sounds like BS to me. The overlays have always been a little problematic (in that they don't work consistently in some modern games), but I refuse to believe there's anything there that would cause stuttering in games especially given that it's typically open when overclocking and benchmarking.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

LostCat

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Waco wrote:
It's been known? That sounds like BS to me. The overlays have always been a little problematic (in that they don't work consistently in some modern games), but I refuse to believe there's anything there that would cause stuttering in games especially given that it's typically open when overclocking and benchmarking.

Perhaps it wasn't stuttering, just other things. I'm not actually sure at this point. - https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... e_and_msi/

But as I said, I don't know. I rarely install OEM crap because it's more likely to cause problems than solve them.
Meow.

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm

I think there were problems with the overlay specifically, not Afterburner, when W10 was first released (in 2015) but it doesn't linger more than a couple months (probably).

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 am

As I recall Unwinder, the developer of Afterburner, refuses to do early testing on Windows 10.

As such the possibility exists to upgrade to a new version of Windows 10 and see Afterburner break in some interesting way.

As a side note, Unwinder remains an "interesting" individual.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 am

I only seem to have issues with Bethesda software.
Both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 work fine with solid 60fps and then after an hour slowly start getting more and more laggy till I save, close and restart the game then it is fine again.
I like the new windows 10 since it shows how much video ram is in use and it never seems to get above 3gig used on my 8gig card.

Doom and Wolfenstein work just fine and never display any issues like this.

I've done lots of research and tried several things with no clear fix for it.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 am

Aranarth wrote:
Both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 work fine with solid 60fps and then after an hour slowly start getting more and more laggy till I save, close and restart the game then it is fine again.
I like the new windows 10 since it shows how much video ram is in use and it never seems to get above 3gig used on my 8gig card.

Doom and Wolfenstein work just fine and never display any issues like this.

I've done lots of research and tried several things with no clear fix for it.

Isn't this normal with Skyrim/Fallout especially if you have mods installed?

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:19 am

Aranarth wrote:

I actually found Skyrim SE to be much better since the Fall Creator's Update. They finally fixed a bug that prevented DX9 games from using more than 4GB of RAM.

Details here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/com ... ed_in_new/
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

AlikDiana
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 pm

LostCat wrote:
Waco wrote:

Perhaps it wasn't stuttering, just other things. I'm not actually sure at this point. - https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... e_and_msi/

But as I said, I don't know. I rarely install OEM crap because it's more likely to cause problems than solve them.

Yes, I am agree with you. The brand computer is more stable than DIY. All of the brand computer are tested many times before it sales on the market. I use Dell laptops and all-in-one pc, it has less problems.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:57 am

EzioAs wrote:
Isn't this normal with Skyrim/Fallout especially if you have mods installed?

Seems to be an issue with or without mods installed.

I did a complete wipe and reinstall of both games about 6 months ago and still had the issue.
I've not done it since I upgraded to my Radeon RX 580 gb though.

Fallout 4 seems to be a little better with enb installed and I keep the crafting stores free of too much junk.
I have been manually deleting junk and converting to larger stacks such as pieces of cloth being converted to a "shipment" etc.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 am

You guys should try Witcher 3.

My PC is a 4.5 GHz 6700K + 32GB RAM (3000MT/s) + GTX 1080 + all my games are on SSD. Witcher 3 still hitches no matter what. It's so annoying. Fortunately, I love the game so much I can overlook the hitches and jitters.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:22 am

I've had very little issues with the Creators update other then my NVidia profile being reset. I went and re-tuned the profile and that was about it. I don't play a huge variety of games, mostly BF1 and Elite Dangerous so that might help keep me from having some issues.

I run BF1 at medium settings to boost the framerate as I have a 144hz monitor and I like to keep it running as fast as possible. On Elite Dangerous I use the Rift and my strategy is a bit different. The GTX 970 is a little under powered so I set my setting a bit high to kick the Rift into ASW as soon as the framerates drop which they will do down on planet surfaces and around the stations. I set the graphics high enough to run above 45 fps but not too high as that will lead to the ASW kicking in and out which creates stuttering and graphics glitches.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I've had an issue since the Fall 2017 Creators update where my NVidia Control Panel will disappear after a new driver install and manual reboot. It shows immediately after the driver install and opens but then goes away after the next reboot disappearing from the right-click pop-up window on the desktop and missing on the bottom taskbar. It still shows as an icon in the Windows Control Panel but does not open. I've researched a lot of forums and read where many are experiencing similar issues but I've yet to find a fix. Clean re-installs, driver roll backs, turning on/off NVidia's services in the task manager, using the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) tool were what most recommend but nothing sticks in my case. I've given up which is rare since I can usually troubleshoot these kind of issues. It is a minor nuisance since I'll adjust my NVidia settings before the next reboot and everything seems OK. I have not seen any negative effects in games except I do get flickering in Skyrim but I figure it is due to all the texture/environment mods I loaded onto the original version, not the SE. I use Win10 Pro with a GTX1080.

edit: To clarify it is after I manually reboot. The NVidia Control Panel operates fine up until the next restart.
Last edited by G8torbyte on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:04 pm

That's VERY strange. I've had the same W10 install since release day and have never had that issue (had a 970 and a 1080 as gfx cards in that time).

AlikDiana
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
I've had an issue since the Fall 2017 Creators update where my NVidia Control Panel will disappear after a new driver install and manual reboot. It shows immediately after the driver install and opens but then goes away after the next reboot disappearing from the right-click pop-up window on the desktop and missing on the bottom taskbar. It still shows as an icon in the Windows Control Panel but does not open. I've researched a lot of forums and read where many are experiencing similar issues but I've yet to find a fix. Clean re-installs, driver roll backs, turning on/off NVidia's services in the task manager, using the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) tool were what most recommend but nothing sticks in my case. I've given up which is rare since I can usually troubleshoot these kind of issues. It is a minor nuisance since I'll adjust my NVidia settings before the next reboot and everything seems OK. I have not seen any negative effects in games except I do get flickering in Skyrim but I figure it is due to all the texture/environment mods I loaded onto the original version, not the SE. I use Win10 Pro with a GTX1080.

edit: To clarify it is after I manually reboot. The NVidia Control Panel operates fine up until the next restart.

I think I am lucky, after my nvidia control panel missing, I uninstall the graphic driver with DDU and reinstall it manually, it works fine.