Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

MOSFET
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

If you haven't yet, ditch Ryzen Power Plan

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

I had reported in a few threads about some weirdness with Ryzen in Win10. Not performance per se, but things like not downclocking when idle even when UEFI was set right, weird all-cores-frequency-lockstep stuff, high CPU voltages, that kind of stuff. It was ALL due to AMD's Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. Somewhere in the Ryzen+ coverage or comments, it was mentioned that AMD was now recommending with X470 to use Windows' Balanced power plan. I usually use Windows inbox drivers for most stuff other than GPU, Samsung NVMe, and sometimes Intel NIC, but I didn't realize the "damage" that could be done by a non-inbox power plan. And to be honest, I probably haven't looked at the Windows power control panel in months, and this isn't exposed in Settings. I switched off AMD's plan and then deleted it. Everything mentioned above is normal now.

I knew something was weird for months, but yesterday I had HWMonitor open along with Task Manager, and an idle desktop. CPU voltage through the socket on my Asus ROG Strix X370-F was showing 1.45V AT IDLE! 0% CPU util. During system loads Vcore was going down to 1.25 and 1.32! It was like high-level LLC on a CPU running at Auto, as in non-overclocked. I know Asus isn't that far off after 14 UEFI updates, and then I remembered the power plan thing. With Windows Balanced, once again, everything is normal now. While typing this, Vcore is 0.937, and CPU is 1400-1550 MHz. Normal!
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: If you haven't yet, ditch Ryzen Power Plan

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks MOSFET. I now suspect this is the main thing wrong with the random high temps on my new rig. *Yes, I'm aware of the CPU heat temperature Helpful Shifting, it's not that.

toki
Gerbil XP

Re: If you haven't yet, ditch Ryzen Power Plan

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 pm

They just released new chipset drivers recently last week that has the balanced power plan in the package. Maybe this has fixed the issue. As for myself I have only turned off hybrid sleep because I had a weird instance of the computer turning completely off when waking from sleep mode and this was said to fix it. Also I was just looking at this very problem and it seems that almost every motherboard maker is doing this with their settings on auto like this with the Ryzen brand. https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/ ... 0%20-%2064