Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Can't install April Update or Cumulative Update (KB4093105), and manual upgrade fails

Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I am unable to install Cumulative Update (KB4093105), manually or through Windows Update. Windows Update keeps prompting me to "Restart to install" and the start menu gives the "update and restart" and "update and shutdown" options. The automatic way results in nothing happening, except for a 0x80070422 error in Event Viewer.

Manually downloading and installing Cumulative Update results in it aborting at 95-99% installation progress after the restart, and giving 0x800F0922 error in Event Viewer afterwards.

Windows April Update won't work either. It consistently freezes at 42% progress, and then throwing 0x30018 error. I have tried directly downloading through the Media Creation Tool and then immediately upgrading, creating a bootable USB stick (also the same result), and mounting an ISO to run the setup from my SSD (also same result).

I have tried these troubleshooting methods

- wmic
diskdrive get status

- Chkdisk

- Automatic maintenance

- Disk cleanup

- DISM RestoreHealth

- sfc /scannow

- Troubleshooter for Windows Update (claims everything is fine, it's not)

- "Clean boot" (only Windows/Microsoft services, and I went through Task Manager just to be sure)

- Disable most of the drivers, such as wireless, LAN, AMD GPU, Intel GPU, audio, and etc.

- Manually clearing out Windows Update's cache

- Went into Services to manually reboot Windows Update.

- Ran Avast, Malwarebytes and Windows Defender all at the same time. Then ran Avast's and Windows Defender's boot-time scans.

- System restore

- Re-imaging the laptop from a backup hard drive

- Everything above at the same time

- Boot from USB to upgrade, only be told by the installer to boot into Windows first before trying. (Something like this: https://imgur.com/a/UMjkrNf )

- Ran Windows memory diagnostics about a week ago. About two years ago, I ran Memtest86+ to check for a bad RAM, and stopped it after 9 passes without finding any errors.

I'm going to try one more time, this time using "Diagnostics mode" before attempting the upgrade using the USB stick, but that's probably not going to work.

I can't think of anything else to try. Clean install is out of the question as I would be unable to reinstall Office 2016. (Activation key only works with VPN access to an organization network's, which I am no longer part of). I also can't find the download for an old version of Intel XTU that was compatible with my laptop, as later versions are flaky or don't allow as much undervolting fine-tuning.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: Can't install April Update or Cumulative Update (KB4093105), and manual upgrade fails

Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 am

OS upgrade in diagnostics or safe mode didn't work.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: Can't install April Update or Cumulative Update (KB4093105), and manual upgrade fails

Sat May 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Maybe I should give CCleaner a shot? I've heard horror stories about "registry cleaners" wreaking stuff, but I'm out of ideas at this point.
Last edited by UnfriendlyFire on Sat May 05, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Avoid the registry cleaner or else risk breaking Office 2016.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 05, 2018 8:15 pm

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/w ... issue.html says backup and try to increase the size available to the system reserved partition with that manual installs error code, among other advice.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 200?auth=1 seems to be saying x30018 is driver or antivirus related

I don't know if we can help you otherwise, it seems like it might be too dependant on what you've got installed.
Meow.

UnknownZA
Gerbil In Training

Sun May 06, 2018 12:34 am

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
Maybe I should give CCleaner a shot? I've heard horror stories about "registry cleaners" wreaking stuff, but I'm out of ideas at this point.

Funnily enough my CCLeaner was uninstalled due to being uncompatible with the new Windows 10 Update.

My install needed a reboot then started downloading during boot. It took some time so maybe just let it run for a while.

My update took like 30 minutes to install and I have a SSD. So just let it run.

UnknownZA
Gerbil In Training

Sun May 06, 2018 12:36 am

biffzinker wrote:
Avoid the registry cleaner or else risk breaking Office 2016.

I've never had any issues before with CCleaner and Office.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 am

I've been able to install the April Update on an Nehalem-era laptop (almost 10 years old) on the first try.

And my 4 year old laptop isn't playing nice. On a plus side, I think I was able to install KB4093105 by repeatedly manually installing it (and running auto maintenance, sfc /scannow and disk cleanup after failed attempts), unless if Windows is lying and it wasn't actually installed.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun May 06, 2018 12:26 pm

I would recommend waiting until it shows up in windows update. There may be compatibility issues.