Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Win10 connecting to network without permission

Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Connect automatically isn't enabled and never has been (on any connection, not just this one), and the rest of the troubled connection's properties check out (not that there is much to check out in the UI). Since 1803, every time I boot up Windows, it auto-connects to the wifi network I use most often. I haven't yet told it to forget the network or anything like that - I've seen it do this before (on multiple machines), but only sporadically, and this is the first time it's been consistently reproducible. Now that it's reproducible, any ideas on how to get closer to its root cause? Event viewer shows nothing relevant, as expected.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Win10 connecting to network without permission

Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Build 1803 is a clusterfrack. Worst build of Windows 10 evar.

My ThinkPad was trashed by 1803. Whoever QA that POS should be severely dealt with.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Win10 connecting to network without permission

Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Forget -> reboot -> reconnect doesn't solve anything for subsequent boots, nor does toggling pretty much anything else it exposes in either UI (not that any of it was relevant in the first place - just throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks now).

So AFAICT this rudimentary security problem is completely undebuggable with the tools available to people like me. Great.