Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:10 pm

I have done the following so far but to no avail:
1) Attempting to delete RECYCLE.BIN on Windows explorer
2) Running check disk
3) Executing sfc /scannow
4) Executing rd /s /q X:\$Recycle.bin on command prompt to reset RECYCLE.BIN - (X is the drive letter)

In the RECYCLE.BIN, there is a folder and therein subfolders. This folder appears to be the culprit but I am unable to delete.

Another problem which may be related to is that properties do not report correct sizes of individual folders in this drive.

Suggestion appreciated.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51945
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:19 pm

churin wrote:
I have done the following so far but to no avail:
1) Attempting to delete RECYCLE.BIN on Windows explorer
2) Running check disk
3) Executing sfc /scannow
4) Executing rd /s /q X:\$Recycle.bin on command prompt to reset RECYCLE.BIN - (X is the drive letter)

In the RECYCLE.BIN, there is a folder and therein subfolders. This folder appears to be the culprit but I am unable to delete.

Another problem which may be related to is that properties do not report correct sizes of individual folders in this drive.

Suggestion appreciated.

Sounds like a permissions issue. With admin privilege, try taking ownership of it and all subfolders, and attempt the deletion again.

If that fails, try booting from a Linux live image and use that to delete the recycle bin. (Recent Linux distros have NTFS support that is "good enough" for doing stuff like this, though I would not rely on it for mission-critical use.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 pm

I am not so familiar with Linux but could manage to create a bootable Linux DVD. I could see all sub-folders on Linux except $RECYCLE.BIN. How can I see it on Linux?
 
Yan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:16 pm

You should be able to see $Recycle.Bin under Linux. What do you mean when you say the recycle bin is corrupted?

Edit: What Linux boot DVD did you use?
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Yan wrote:
You should be able to see $Recycle.Bin under Linux. What do you mean when you say the recycle bin is corrupted?

Edit: What Linux boot DVD did you use?

A message I am getting is "The Recycle Bin on D: is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive? Yes No" I click on Yes but the message comes back later,
In $RECYCLE.BIN, there is, aside of recycle.bin, one extra sub-folder which could never be deleted.

I can see RECYCLE.BIN of any other drive on Linux.

The Linux I am using is Ubuntu v.18.04 x64
 
Yan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Try deleting all directories $RECYCLE.BIN on all drives.

What's the name of the sub-directory you can't delete?
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Evin on Windows Explorer, there is no problem deleting $RECYCLE.BIN of any drive but the drive which is causing the error message.
The sub-folder name is S-1-5-21-3660918846-3684910999-440501138-1000
Multiple of similarly named sub-folders are created in the $RECYCLE.BIN but they can be deleted without any problem except that in D:\$RECYCLE.BIN
 
Yan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Recycle Bin is corrupted

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

But under Linux, do you only see the directory $RECYCLE.BIN on the D: drive (probably /dev/sda2 under Linux), or do you also see the directory on other drives? If so, please try deleting it everywhere under Linux, no matter what you can do under Windows.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:47 am

Just disable the recycle bin and learn proper discipline when deleting; Many of the most common storage mediums do not offer a recycle bin feature so using it just encourages poor discipline and forms bad habits that will potentially get you into a lot of trouble when you casually delete a file on a storage system without one.

Also, if you care about your data, you should absolutely have a decent backup strategy in place that makes the recycle bin redundant. So, unless you have some weird reason for wanting a recycle bin you should disable it and reboot. The recycle bin folders and all of their contents should be gone for good after the reboot, since with no recycle bin there will be no locked files and no services keeping the folder active. At the very least, disabling the recycle bin and its associated explorer extensions should allow you to delete any leftover remnants.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22389
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Just disable the recycle bin and learn proper discipline when deleting; Many of the most common storage mediums do not offer a recycle bin feature so using it just encourages poor discipline and forms bad habits that will potentially get you into a lot of trouble when you casually delete a file on a storage system without one.

What? Next thing you’ll be saying is turn off the paving file.
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recycle Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53 am

Yan wrote:
But under Linux, do you only see the directory $RECYCLE.BIN on the D: drive (probably /dev/sda2 under Linux), or do you also see the directory on other drives? If so, please try deleting it everywhere under Linux, no matter what you can do under Windows.

The pesky folder is now gone!! Feeling great.
$RECYCLE.BIN was shown on Linux but I overlooked because my monitor is 28" with 4K resolution so that fonts are very tiny. I did not know how to set the font size larger on Linux.
I moved $RECYCLE.BIN to trash and emptied the trash. That took care of it.
I have a main data drive(D:) and a backup data drive(E:). The backup drive already inherited the pesky folder in it's $RECYCLE.BIN.

Thank you very much for your help.
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
. . . . . you should disable it and reboot. The recycle bin folders and all of their contents should be gone for good after the reboot, since with no recycle bin there will be no locked files and no services keeping the folder active. At the very least, disabling the recycle bin and its associated explorer extensions should allow you to delete any leftover remnants.

Sounds like this is another way to get rid of hard-to-delete folders and files in $RECYCLE.BIN. Could you post how to disable $RECYCLE.BIN?
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Right-click the recycle bin icon > Properties > select Don't move files to the recycle bin.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: San Jose/California

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Right-click the recycle bin icon > Properties > select Don't move files to the recycle bin.

That means no more files and folders. What about those already in it? Are they going to be deleted once the system reboots?
I cannot to test this method now since I no longer have that pesky folders in $RECYCLE.BIN.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27411
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Ugh. When will feckless gerbils just learn to stop believing they're smarter than the Windows developers when it comes to the internal workings of Windows?
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: Recyble Bin is corrupted

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Ugh. When will feckless gerbils just learn to stop believing they're smarter than the Windows developers when it comes to the internal workings of Windows?


Calm down there, John Wick - nobody here shot your dog.

Windows screwed the pooch itself and was unable to self-correct, both options suggested (using linux to delete the corrupt folder, or tuning off the recycle bin to release it from Window's deathgrip) seem like a low-intrusion method that in no way involve tampering with the internal workings of Windows. It's not as if someone's poking around in the registry and these are automatically-created folders that will be recreated if the recycle bin is enabled with the folders absent.

I would figure it's not great for a global moderator to go accusing people of being feckless when it's not obvious who it's aimed at or even why that insult is even being thrown around in the first place.

Secondly, I would not hold Windows developers to such a high standard either. Many of us on these forums spend our day job (for decades) fixing the decisions of those feckless* Microsoft employees.

* - literal, correct, and empircally-backed application of the word.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest