Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

What happens if I upgrade?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am

I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade my old workhorse i5-3750K in the next year or so. Of course, that will require replacing the Mobo and RAM too.

I'm running Windows 10 from an upgraded Windows 7 install. Will changing out the CPU/Motherboard mess with my Windows license?

Just trying to figure out if I have to factor in an extra $100 for a Windows license into my upgrade budget.

Thanks!

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What happens if I upgrade?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:45 am

Well......going into detail might be a somewhat grey-area topic, but you can always give MS tech support a call. They're usually exceptionally generous with the licenses if you say the right things (though some might consider doing this in very poor taste).

tahir2
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47 am

Yes and no.
It will mess your Windows install up asking you to re-activate it.
However calling up MS they will be able to bypass this and activate Windows for you at no extra charge.

This exact thing happened to a customer of mine and MS resolved the issue for them without any additional outlay.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am

You should be able to register your current Win10 setup under your microsoft account if you have one. Then after you change out the hardware Win10 will ask to reactivate. Log into your MS account again and you can select the OS you registered earlier and verify you did a hardware change. In my case I had 3 older Win7 PCs and carried those activations over to Win10 under my MS account after CPU/moberboard changes. First upgraded Win7 to Win10, then registered under the MS account, then did the hardware changes afterwards.
Last edited by G8torbyte on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 am

What's the right words?
"I had to replace the motherboard in my computer." (?)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks everyone.

It's an interesting, if philosophical, point right? At what point is it a new computer such that MS would be justified in saying I need to get a new license? If I replace the CPU/Mobo/RAM, the only thing left of the original computer that the original Windows 7 was installed on will be the OS SSD (a very old 256gb Samsung), CPU cooler, PSU, case, and optical drive. Still the same "computer" I use, but most of the guts are different.

The Egg

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am

DPete27 wrote:
What's the right words?
"I had to replace the motherboard in my computer." (?)

Pretty much. They don't deactivate the old license though, and since he's building a new system, he should technically be buying a new one. Are you really breaking any rules if they just give it to you without any verification? I don't know; hence the grey-area.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
At what point is it a new computer such that MS would be justified in saying I need to get a new license?

I seem to remember that there's actually a checklist of changes that MS uses to qualify a "new" computer. I'm sure someone can dig it up with some google-fu.
Something like; after 4 changes, it's "new". That could even mean 4 OS drive swaps though.

*maybe that was just a rumor and I'm totally off-base. I dunno.

TBH, first thing I'd do is just try entering your Win7 license when you install Win10 on the new machine. That's a pretty easy and harmless experiment.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:03 pm

I just went through the same ordeal and was able to get Windows re-activated with my new MB and CPU.

It's more complicated with my MS Office license though. It won't reactivate through online activation since I apparently reached my activation limit and then it writes that I can talk to a representative, however when I select my country (or any other country for that matter), it says that they no longer support my Office version so it won't list a phone number for me to dial. Lucky me.. Yes, Office 2010 isn't new but it is/was a perfectly workable version for me and there is absolutely nothing that I need from a newer version (quite the contrary I would say). I most certainly do not need a subscription which is probably what they would like me to get.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Emphasis on the point that MS "may" bypass the activation for you. I know someone personally that spent 4 hours playing phone tag with MS trying to get this exact issue resolved after a mobo went belly up on him and needed to be replaced. In theory they could have resolved the issue for him, but it is entirely at the person at the other end of the phones discretion to do so and if you get the wrong person in the wrong state or mood you could be in for a long day.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

The Egg

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:47 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
It's an interesting, if philosophical, point right? At what point is it a new computer such that MS would be justified in saying I need to get a new license?

The license is tied to the motherboard. I've also heard/read about "such and such number of changes", but never actually managed to trigger deactivation short of a motherboard swap.

My guess is that much of Microsoft's generosity stems from the fact that they either don't have the capability of de-coupling the license from the board once activated, or it's not worth their time trying to do-so (I could also see it being difficult-to-impossible for the user to gather the required info after a crash). Since they can't reasonably expect the customer to purchase an additional license after a defective motherboard (let's say it happened within 30 days for example), they're in a poor spot.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm

"My old motherboard died so I had to get a new one. The old configuration is no longer working, only one copy of this license will be in use."

Those have always worked for me through many, many upgrades.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
It's an interesting, if philosophical, point right? At what point is it a new computer such that MS would be justified in saying I need to get a new license? If I replace the CPU/Mobo/RAM, the only thing left of the original computer that the original Windows 7 was installed on will be the OS SSD (a very old 256gb Samsung), CPU cooler, PSU, case, and optical drive. Still the same "computer" I use, but most of the guts are different.

Mmm yes, the gaming rig of Theseus. A question to ponder for all time. If I'm still using the same case but everything else has been replaced, it's still my PC, but is it still the same thing? Is the soul of the system different? Hmmmmm!

Seriously though, my understanding of it is that retail licenses can be transferred but OEM licenses cannot. Anything beyond that depends on whether or not Microsoft customer service is feeling nice when you call in.
<3 TR

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
Seriously though, my understanding of it is that retail licenses can be transferred but OEM licenses cannot. Anything beyond that depends on whether or not Microsoft customer service is feeling nice when you call in.

Microsoft doesn't care if it's OEM or retail if you're replacing components and continuing to use the "same system". If the old system is never going to run again, they don't care about transferring the license. I've been on the same OEM license on my desktop since it was a Core 2 Quad.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

Waco wrote:
Microsoft doesn't care if it's OEM or retail if you're replacing components and continuing to use the "same system". If the old system is never going to run again, they don't care about transferring the license. I've been on the same OEM license on my desktop since it was a Core 2 Quad.

I wouldn't say they don't care, only that they're more likely to enforce it if you sound like a commercial entity that ought to licensed under the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program instead. But yeah, in the worst-case scenario you just need to call the phone number that is provided when the activation failure occurs, explain that you replaced an old or dead component and activation failed afterward, and now you're trying to get your PC working again. And don't try to be smarter than the phone rep, just answer their questions plainly if they're the script-reader type, or let them talk you through it if they're the techie type.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

williamcruz
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 am

I have upgraded the latest version of Windows 10. I have recently installed Ms Office 365. After few days i have noticed that a flickering screen appears when i am using the Office 365, or Office 2016 build 16.0.7668.2066. It also shows the flashing after logging in. Then I visit Office 365 Support and updated the newest version of the Office.

CuriouslySane
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 pm

I just went through this situation, and whether due to a policy change or not knowing the magic words to say, Microsoft was firmly unwilling to help me get activated without a fresh cash infusion.

This was a Windows 10 Pro retail "free upgrade" from 8 via 7 via...I don't know how far back it went. The latest product key I had was from the 7 upgrade years ago. I never had a product key for 8 that I'm aware of, but I never had trouble with activation.

After a motherboard failure/replacement I found I was no longer activated and called for help. They wouldn't give me the time of day. Despite having the system linked to my Microsoft account, they were adamant that the "free upgrade" of 10 applied only to the original hardware and was not transferable. I didn't have my product key handy on that first call. (I actually didn't even remember if I still had it...all my old media went in the bin when they made such a big deal about Windows 10 and its digital entitlement scheme replacing the old product keys.)

I tried calling back with a product key (even though it was ancient) and see how far that would get me. They walked me through trying to change product key in settings which, of course, failed. Then they transferred me to another group who told me I was S.O.L. but that they'd be willing to make an exception and sell me a "Replacement Key" for $40. I tried to get confirmation that this new, Windows 10 specific key would get me better support the next time I needed to make a hardware upgrade and didn't really get it spelled out to my satisfaction, but there was enough of a language barrier with the rep to begin with that I decided not to push it and take the 80% discount off the normal price of Pro.

TL;DR
1. Hang onto your Product Key if you have it. Maybe I was unlucky, but don't count on phone support being willing to help with a hardware change even if it's a repair.
2. If they're stonewalling, try walking through the "change product id" process with them and if that doesn't work, see if the replacement key is an option. It sucks to have to pay anything at all, but it's better than full retail or the uncertainty of the grey market.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 am

My friend just had to reactivate his Win10 install after a motherboard/CPU death. All it required was his original Windows 7 key. No cash, just **** Microsoft reps that have no clue what they are doing.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am

Microsoft support reps are pretty happy to let you own a "Trigger's Broom" PC and move your license across as many times as you want.

I think they've become even more lenient since W10 because it's in their interest to ensure that people are on W10 monetising you perpetually as a user rather than extracting a one-off license fee from you. They aren't going to do anything that might jeapordize your use of Windows 10 over the older retail W7 copy you're entitled to use indefinitely.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:59 pm

DPete27 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
At what point is it a new computer such that MS would be justified in saying I need to get a new license?

I seem to remember that there's actually a checklist of changes that MS uses to qualify a "new" computer. I'm sure someone can dig it up with some google-fu.
Something like; after 4 changes, it's "new". That could even mean 4 OS drive swaps though.

*maybe that was just a rumor and I'm totally off-base. I dunno.

TBH, first thing I'd do is just try entering your Win7 license when you install Win10 on the new machine. That's a pretty easy and harmless experiment.

It was always more than 1 change over a time duration. Best guess was 3 changes.
This is from personal experience and reading online.
Hard Drive swaps never seem to have counted. Possible HD controller counted.
RAM never counted.
Video cards did.
CPU counted as 1.
CPU/Motherboard was 2 or more.
Sound card did (which is why motherboard can be more than 1)
There are some others but M$ has never let the full criteria be known that I know of.

Never had issues with M$ just activating new machine (via phone call) if I said I replaced it with a new build I did myself.
Not tried under Win 10 yet. Did 7 and 8 multiple times.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 pm

I've never had trouble reactivating after multiple changes as long as I had the original Win 7/8/8.1 key handy.

Redocbew

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm

The last time I had trouble activating Windows it was when installing Win7 with a key I had apparently over-used while installing Win10. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm

If you have a valid key for Windows 7, then you don't need to have a key for Windows 10, but you have to jump through a hoop. Essentially, you need to install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10. Even though Microsoft officially closed the free upgrade, they still allow you to do it.

I myself just did exactly this in January. The order is important, if you upgrade 7 to 10 without first activating it will not work. If you're calling and talking to Microsoft, then you've done something wrong in the process.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Waco wrote:
I've never had trouble reactivating after multiple changes as long as I had the original Win 7/8/8.1 key handy.

Yup, same here. Sometimes it required a call to MS, but they got it squared aware lickety-split.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CuriouslySane
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 pm

The issue is that most people don’t have Windows 10 product keys. They have a digital license converted from an older version, or they have an OEM license from a new PC. The OEM version is never going to be transferable, but a retail product key should be. The risk is that if that key isn’t recognized then the license linked to the account alone is likely insufficient to get a motherboard upgrade authorized, in which case people used to the old scheme may be in for an unpleasant surprise. Perhaps activating 7 or 8 and reupgrading is a solution, but that’s a lot of needless work and an option whose days are no doubt numbered.