Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

DOS sees directories, Windows doesn't

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:18 pm

I had to replace my motherboard, and now I have a Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming.

I have a strange problem with the DVD drive. I can't see the directories with Windows Explorer, but I can see them in a DOS box with dir:

I already tried using another SATA cable and connecting it to a different port.

Since it works with DOS, I'd think that the problem isn't the hardware. I coudn't find anything useful on the Web.

Any ideas?

Edit: Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DOS sees directories, Windows doesn't

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 pm

So opening up the DVD/CD shows nothing? You could just copy them elsewhere since your command prompt can see them.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 am

Sounds like you may have a broken default association for the option that chooses the default behavior when clicking on a CD, and it is defaulting to either "do nothing" or else trying to open AUTORUN.INF and then failing silently. If you just want to see the contents, what happens if you right-click on the CD icon and select the option "Open in new window" (or however that works out in French)? Can you now see the same directory structure as the Command Prompt window?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:43 am

I don't want to derail the thread or deride your process for setting up your computer, but you really shouldn't use the setup CDs that come with motherboards or any other computer product unless absolutely necessary. Just download drivers from the sites that you require. Surely all of that stuff is on the Asus website.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RO ... _Download/
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:10 am

ludi wrote:
Sounds like you may have a broken default association for the option that chooses the default behavior when clicking on a CD, and it is defaulting to either "do nothing" or else trying to open AUTORUN.INF and then failing silently. If you just want to see the contents, what happens if you right-click on the CD icon and select the option "Open in new window" (or however that works out in French)? Can you now see the same directory structure as the Command Prompt window?

I think ludi's on the right track.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 pm

ludi wrote:
If you just want to see the contents, what happens if you right-click on the CD icon and select the option "Open in new window" (or however that works out in French)? Can you now see the same directory structure as the Command Prompt window?

It's a good suggestion, but it didn't help. I have no problem in Linux, by the way.

The DVD worked fine until I changed the motherboard. I did notice that some programs changed their behaviour somewhat with the new motherboard.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I don't want to derail the thread or deride your process for setting up your computer, but you really shouldn't use the setup CDs that come with motherboards or any other computer product unless absolutely necessary. Just download drivers from the sites that you require.

I can't download anything until I have a driver for the network card. ;-)

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Yan wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
I don't want to derail the thread or deride your process for setting up your computer, but you really shouldn't use the setup CDs that come with motherboards or any other computer product unless absolutely necessary. Just download drivers from the sites that you require.

I can't download anything until I have a driver for the network card. ;-)

I usually use another computer to download drivers and stick 'em on a USB stick.

Are you sure all of the connections were inserted correctly when you replaced the motherboard? You can go back and check. Also, maybe remove some other drives or things that you don't need. There's always the off chance that one item is causing a conflict somewhere that the new mobo can't handle until the correct drivers are installed.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I usually use another computer to download drivers and stick 'em on a USB stick.

This.

FireGryphon wrote:
Are you sure all of the connections were inserted correctly when you replaced the motherboard? You can go back and check. Also, maybe remove some other drives or things that you don't need. There's always the off chance that one item is causing a conflict somewhere that the new mobo can't handle until the correct drivers are installed.

He says he can see the files just fine from a command prompt window and from Linux. That pretty much rules out a hardware issue.

@OP - If you can see them just fine from the command prompt, why not just launch the driver installer from the command prompt?

Taking a step back, it does seem like the motherboard replacement has caused some driver stupidity. Maybe try going into Device Manager, uninstalling anything associated with the DVD drive, and letting the system auto-detect it again?

At the end of the day (and since you say there's some other stuff acting "different" too), your best bet may be a fresh OS reinstall.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:26 pm

I tried removing the driver, but Windows automatically reinstalled it (even though I'd said in "Device and Printers" not to install drivers from Windows update), and I had the same problem.

Then I deactivated the driver and reactivated it, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Windows really is an incomprehensible mystery.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Yeah, the Windows driver stack for optical drives is a bizarre beast. I have vague recollections of various issues arising because of problems with "upper filter" and "lower filter" drivers, and performing manual registry surgery to fix it. Haven't had to deal with that sort of nonsense in years (what with optical drives being less widely used in general, and my migration to Linux).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, the Windows driver stack for optical drives is a bizarre beast. I have vague recollections of various issues arising because of problems with "upper filter" and "lower filter" drivers, and performing manual registry surgery to fix it. Haven't had to deal with that sort of nonsense in years (what with optical drives being less widely used in general, and my migration to Linux).

I'm not sure about optical drives because I haven't had one for years now, but the Windows 10 driver situation is really weird. It wants to install it's choice for everything, even things like video cards, and if you turn that setting off it will stop auto grabbing drivers for things like USB devices you plug in. It's very stupid. It does a really great job of getting drivers for things that Windows used to be awful at, but I DON'T WANT WINDOWS OVERRIDING MY CHOICE FOR A GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER MMMMMMMKAY?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 am

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'm not sure about optical drives because I haven't had one for years now, but the Windows 10 driver situation is really weird. It wants to install it's choice for everything, even things like video cards, and if you turn that setting off it will stop auto grabbing drivers for things like USB devices you plug in. It's very stupid. It does a really great job of getting drivers for things that Windows used to be awful at, but I DON'T WANT WINDOWS OVERRIDING MY CHOICE FOR A GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER MMMMMMMKAY?

Im still using 8.1 with a Start Menu add on, and every time I hear an anecdote like this I cringe at the thought of actually upgrading to 10. Is there some grand article that contains every hack and tweak that’ll make Windows 10 behave?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:05 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Im still using 8.1 with a Start Menu add on, and every time I hear an anecdote like this I cringe at the thought of actually upgrading to 10. Is there some grand article that contains every hack and tweak that’ll make Windows 10 behave?

Not that I know of, but you can give yourself a leg-up by doing the below.

(Windows+E key combo) File Explorer, View tab, "Show/hide" section of the top ribbon, check the boxes next to "File name extensions" and "Hidden items". Then right-click your Desktop, choose New -> Folder, name it

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The icon will change to the one for Control Panel. Double-click it.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 am

There is one possibility I can think of...

First make sure that when you are in explorer that you can go to the address bar and type in "D:\". (without the quotes)
If the drive comes up then check your folder display settings.
There is one for "hide empty drives", be sure it is NOT checked.
I would also try the "show hidden files and folders" just in case you accidentally set the the D:\ drive as hidden.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 am

FireGryphon wrote:

Windows 10 really is not that bad. Especially with the last two major updates.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Aranarth wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

Windows 10 really is not that bad. Especially with the last two major updates.

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy using W10 on my home desktop. It just has its quirks like any other OS and all versions of Windows previous to it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 am

FireGryphon wrote:

95% of the time it works every time. I can't tell you it will work better than a Start Menu-hacked Windows 8, but it definitely won't be worse in the short term, and it will be better supported in the long run.

The one exception is if you managed to get an early version of Windows 8.0 running with Media Center, and chose to keep it instead of upgrading. There's no exact replacement for that combination.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 am

ludi wrote:
95% of the time it works every time. I can't tell you it will work better than a Start Menu-hacked Windows 8, but it definitely won't be worse in the short term, and it will be better supported in the long run.

We can say Windows 10 will work better if you have AMD graphics, as AMD annoyingly stopped producing video card drivers for WIndows 8 a while back.

ludi wrote:
The one exception is if you managed to get an early version of Windows 8.0 running with Media Center, and chose to keep it instead of upgrading. There's no exact replacement for that combination.

True, but Media Center has been on life support since 2009, when the dev team was dismantled (the Windows 8 add-in IIRC wasn't any different). It's probably time to start planning a migration if you're still running it in 2018, as we're now nearer its EOL in 2023 than its discontinuation announcement in 2009, actually nearer in time to that than to the (grudging) release for WIndows 8 in late 2012.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 am

FireGryphon wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

For what it's worth, I've never, ever had windows override my NVidia drivers on either stock Win10 install that I have. Don't think of Win10 as the sum of all the quirky troubleshooting posts that you read; it's an outlier. No reason to stick with 8.1 in this day and age.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 am

DancinJack wrote:
It just has its quirks like any other OS and all versions of Windows previous to it.

QFT!!!

Good grief, I don't think any version of Windows or DOS did not have its quirks.

I think all OS's have their own quirks just some are more glaring with WTF?! moments than others.
OS/2 and Windows ME are shining examples of that.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am

Aranarth wrote:
I think all OS's have their own quirks just some are more glaring with WTF?! moments than others.
OS/2 and Windows ME are shining examples of that.

Windows ME wasn't just quirky, it was crap.