Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Win 10 File explorer not reacting/updating - "Working on it..."

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi fellow gerbils!
I've had an ongoing problem with my Win 10 desktop. I can't say for sure when this issue started, although I feel that it happened around the time of the last big patch.

When I click on file explorer, the computer slows right down (for other apps running) and the explorer window just shows the indicator bar(?) very slowly moving from left to right and the main pane stating "Working on it..." Sometimes when trying to 'Save As...' files within apps, there are long delays which I assume are related. Also, I'm often missing all the file type icons that go with the files (including image previews etc). I'm guessing it's tied to the Quick access and indexing processes.

Strangely, if I open a new file explorer window (shift click) right after this first non-functioning one, this one works fine. All the icons are appropriate (not blank) and I can search and find my files. This is fortunate, or I wouldn't be able to use my computer...

So, to try and solve this problem I've tried to turn off indexing. Not sure if I did it correctly, because it didn't really fix anything.

Not really sure what to do. I like the quick access function. Is there a way to re-set the indexing? Obviously something is corrupted, but don't know where to start.

My system is a Ryzen 5 1600x, 32 GB RAM, with a 256 GB Toshiba M2 SSD for drive c (apps etc) and a 1 GB Crucial M550 SSD for all my files (docs, images etc).

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Win 10 File explorer not reacting/updating - "Working on it..."

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Avoiding complex Windows problems is one reason I'm a Linux user, but this page might be helpful if you just want to nuke the indexing database: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-edb-file
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080 sold and back to hipster IGP!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

driller
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Do you have a drive mapped drive to something that is no longer online??

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:15 pm

That sounds more to me like a shell extension gone awry. You can try running Autoruns and see if you can disable a shell extension that makes this behavior go away. Just be careful what you mess with because Autoruns lists all sorts of semi-critical entries and you can get yourself into trouble if you get too crazy.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:23 pm

chuckula wrote:
Avoiding complex Windows problems is one reason I'm a Linux user,

You're just trading one set of potential complex problems for another one though.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sort of problems that typically come with Linux, because -- given enough determination -- there generally is a solution; it's just a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go. But to most people, that doesn't really matter; and "Can it run proprietary Windows app X?" trumps all else when X is critical to someone's workflow.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:
Avoiding complex Windows problems is one reason I'm a Linux user,

You're just trading one set of potential complex problems for another one though.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sort of problems that typically come with Linux, because -- given enough determination -- there generally is a solution; it's just a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go. But to most people, that doesn't really matter; and "Can it run proprietary Windows app X?" trumps all else when X is critical to someone's workflow.

Linux problems certainly exist, but they tend to occur more often because I took an affirmative step to make a change that caused a screw up. Windows problems tend to happen more spontaneously because the latest giant opaque update decided to break something.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080 sold and back to hipster IGP!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

chuckula wrote:
Linux problems certainly exist, but they tend to occur more often because I took an affirmative step to make a change that caused a screw up. Windows problems tend to happen more spontaneously because the latest giant opaque update decided to break something.

Yeah, I suppose random breakage of something that was previously working doesn't tend to happen all that much. When something doesn't work on Linux, it generally started out broken from the get-go. :wink:

Though there are exceptions to this too.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm

driller wrote:

OK. This was so simple that I didn't consider it...
I deleted the pinned/mapped link to a networked drive, and now there doesn't seem to be any problem! Solved! You guys are fast!

But that leads to another issue. Every time I need to re-set my router because of some internet issue, it changes the addresses to my mapped drives. Which then leads (didn't pick up the connection before) to the file explorer issues, plus of course I don't have 1-click access to the network drive. I've tried using static ip's within the router settings but they didn't seem to stick. Is there a trick to keeping a mapped drive (just a WD My Cloud drive plugged into router) static and connected during a router re-set (unplug and plug back in...).

thanks for your help!!

driller
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:47 pm

You're welcome.

Did you try setting a static ip on the WD drive?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/a ... x?ID=14198

Disco wrote:
driller wrote:

OK. This was so simple that I didn't consider it...
I deleted the pinned/mapped link to a networked drive, and now there doesn't seem to be any problem! Solved! You guys are fast!

But that leads to another issue. Every time I need to re-set my router because of some internet issue, it changes the addresses to my mapped drives. Which then leads (didn't pick up the connection before) to the file explorer issues, plus of course I don't have 1-click access to the network drive. I've tried using static ip's within the router settings but they didn't seem to stick. Is there a trick to keeping a mapped drive (just a WD My Cloud drive plugged into router) static and connected during a router re-set (unplug and plug back in...).

thanks for your help!!

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:38 pm

[quote="driller"]You're welcome.

Did you try setting a static ip on the WD drive?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/a ... x?ID=14198

Hmmm. I didn't know about this setting. I'll try it out and attempt a router reset this evening and see how it goes.
thanks!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Can you refer to them by UNC name instead of IP?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

This would be vastly superior and should be standard practice.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 am

DancinJack wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

This would be vastly superior and should be standard practice.

Following some router fiddling last night, the static IP setting seems to have worked. So my mapped networked drives are linked and available.

But!! Now that those mapped links appear to be a non-issue, the original problem I expressed is still happening. So there is still some issue with the indexing or some other process. As I stated, when I click on file explorer, it just pauses forever and says "Working on it..." while the progress bar keeps moving very slightly (or not at all). And then if I immediately start up another file explorer window (while the original is still 'processing'), it opens up fine and all the files/folders are immediately accessible.

So, original problem still ongoing. Any thoughts?