I restored a complete Windows 7 installation from backup (made with rdiff-backup
), using simply Linux's cp
to copy everything.
This worked well, except I lost the localized names for the folders such as Downloads, My Documents, etc.
I have Windows 7 Enterprise, so I tried simply changing the user interface
(from French to English and back to French), but that didn't work.
I think perhaps the problem is Windows's directories junctions and links. Apparently cp
couldn't handle these and created files rather then directories. In turn, this messed up the desktop.ini files in these directories. I tried to recreate the junctions and links I saw in a working Windows 7 installation, but that didn't help.