Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Yan
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Restored Win 7 from backup, now lost localized folder names

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:15 pm

I restored a complete Windows 7 installation from backup (made with rdiff-backup), using simply Linux's cp to copy everything.

This worked well, except I lost the localized names for the folders such as Downloads, My Documents, etc.

I have Windows 7 Enterprise, so I tried simply changing the user interface (from French to English and back to French), but that didn't work.

I think perhaps the problem is Windows's directories junctions and links. Apparently cp couldn't handle these and created files rather then directories. In turn, this messed up the desktop.ini files in these directories. I tried to recreate the junctions and links I saw in a working Windows 7 installation, but that didn't help.

Any hints?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Restored Win 7 from backup, now lost localized folder names

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Based on the info on that web page, it sounds like rdiff-backup was really designed for *NIX style OSes and Windows support was bolted on as an afterthought. This might be a long shot given the tool's less mature Windows support, but have you tried using its built-in restore mode instead of the cp command?

TBH I'm surprised the system isn't even more messed up than it is, given that you used the Linux cp tool to restore a Windows OS disk; Linux's NTFS support wasn't even particularly good/stable until just a few years ago.

The only times I've used Linux tools for cloning/restoring Windows systems it has been full disk or partition images, not at the individual file level. It works reasonably well for that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm

I once had an extra My Pictures system folder in WIN7 and Windows Repair from Tweaking . com fixed that. It makes a lot of settings revert to default. It's free, just don't click on the first big green download button for a ""PC health"" program.
https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/w ... n_one.html

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 pm

I've had to use Cygwin's cp command to copy from an old Windows Server RAID-1 to a new one. Neither the drag-and-drop copy nor robocopy would complete successfully, but cp sure did. Might have been because of weird ACLs but it's been several months so I can't swear to that now.

Yan, if this were my dog I'd make sure I had good backups of all the files I need, then do a clean reinstall of Windows and copy the files back to where they're supposed to be. Anything else is likely to emit nasal demons sooner or later.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

nerdrage
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:14 am

The localized names come from a file named "desktop.ini" which is marked with the attributes System and Hidden. If that didn't get copied, you'll just have the plain ol' boring directory names. For example the contents of the desktop.ini in my Pictures folder contains:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21779
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12688
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-236

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:49 am

bthylafh wrote:
I've had to use Cygwin's cp command to copy from an old Windows Server RAID-1 to a new one. Neither the drag-and-drop copy nor robocopy would complete successfully, but cp sure did. Might have been because of weird ACLs but it's been several months so I can't swear to that now.

It wasn't clear from the OP whether this was Cygwin cp or from a Linux live image. I'd expect better results from Cygwin since it runs through a compatibility layer and uses Windows' native NTFS support under the hood; but it would've never occurred to me to try using cp (in either form) to restore a Windows OS partition. It just sounds like asking for trouble -- an invitation to a case of "if it hurts when you do that, then don't do that".

Yan
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 pm

xgsound wrote:
I once had an extra My Pictures system folder in WIN7 and Windows Repair from Tweaking . com fixed that. It makes a lot of settings revert to default. It's free, just don't click on the first big green download button for a ""PC health"" program.
https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/w ... n_one.html

That's an interesting program. Like you said, it changed many settings back to the default, including settings I'd deliberately changed. ;-) Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem.

I ran cp from Linux. It worked perfectly, except for the problem I mentioned. I could reinstall Windows and all my programs, of course, but I'm not sure it's worth the work to solve an essentially cosmetic problem.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Yan wrote:
I ran cp from Linux. It worked perfectly, except for the problem I mentioned. I could reinstall Windows and all my programs, of course, but I'm not sure it's worth the work to solve an essentially cosmetic problem.

Assuming there aren't any other problems you just haven't noticed yet...

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Yan: Sorry it didn't work, but I thought it would be worth a try. I keep a copy with my other fix-it utilities.

Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 pm

If you were going to take a cli approach to this, ImageX or DISM would have been a much better way to deal with all this.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.