Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Problem with Konica Bizhub c654e color copier / printer / scanner

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi,

We have two of these and up to 3 weeks ago we had no problems printing to them.
Environment – 25 Windows 10 pro computers, Windows 2012R2 server.
About 3 weeks ago, we started having problems printing large jpg and color PDF files.
They used to print within 10 to 15 seconds. Now you can watch the file size in the Windows 10 print spooler slowly get bigger and at random spots stops and does not continue.
What I’ve tried:
Downloaded the most recent pcl print driver from the manufacturer.
Downloaded the postscript driver to see if that made any difference.
Configured the Symantec Antivirus to allow the turn off of antivirus and firewall.
Setup server to share the printer.
Direct print via tcp/ip address.
Print directly to the printer (no spool).
Had printer company roll back the latest firmware update. (when first did this, printing seemed fixed, but only lasted about 2 hours).
Google searched anyone having these kind of problems – maybe from a Windows update.
Downloaded a photo program that allowed the shrinking of pictures and pdf files. The pictures, when shrunk far enough printed fine. The pdf files would print but the fonts were barely legible.

Any ideas?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Problem with Konica Bizhub c654e color copier / printer / scanner

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm

How much RAM do they have? Can you increase it?

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 pm

They both have 4 mg of ram and a 250 GB hard drive.

I would have to ask the copier people about adding more ram.

But until 3 weeks ago, this seemed adequate.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 am

bigjohn888jb wrote:
They both have 4 mg of ram and a 250 GB hard drive.

I would have to ask the copier people about adding more ram.

But until 3 weeks ago, this seemed adequate.

Not sure how your deployment is setup (i.e. the printers are connected to the network? to a Windows Server? etc.) If they are connected to a Windows Server, then perhaps there was an update during this timeframe? I would recommend looking into that - conversely, was there an update for Windows clients around the same time? Just something to think about :)

PS: If they are connected only through the network, have you tried connecting to them directly (i.e. USB) and checking they work this way?

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 am

They are connected to the network. I have not connected to them directly (via usb).

I did do a print test right from the server through the network and it was slower than it used to be, but it did print (took 3 to 4 minutes to send in the file from the spooler).

I was thinking of hooking up a Windows 7 and see what kind of reaction I get with that.

I will look at Windows updates on one of the Windows 10 and see if something came in within the problem time frame.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm

What program(s) are you using to print PDF files and large JPG images? If direct TCP/IP printing isn't even working and two different printers have the same issue, then it's got to be something in the software deployment -- either an OS update that took place or the specific program(s) in use that are targeting the print spooler. Also, are you using any print-tracking software such as Argos?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

HAL-9000
Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:04 pm

I ran into something similar in my work environment with our fleet of Konica-Minoltas.

It seemed that whenever somebody tried to print a pdf file to our networked printers, it would hang and never print.

These are the steps that I did and it appears to have solved the issue:

• Log onto the print server and open print management
• under the "Drivers" section on the left hand side of print management, right click on the print driver, go to isolation and select "none"
• under the "Printers" section on the left hand side of print management, right click on the printer and select properties
• in properties go to sharing
• under sharing, deselect "Render print jobs on client computers"
• Click "Apply", "OK"
• right click on the printer again and select properties
• in properties go to sharing
• under sharing, reselect "Render print jobs on client computers"
• Click "Apply", "OK"

So you are essentially changing a setting in the driver on the print server and then re-enabling it so that your printer grabs the new setting.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Ludi:
Programs: Adobe for the pdf files and Windows photo for the jpgs. I downloaded Irfanview for the photos and found if i shrunk the files I could get them to print. I tried opening the pdf in Word Perfect and Edge, but did not make a difference with the print.

I am not using any print tracking software.

Hal-9000:
I can't find under drivers to change "go to isolation". I did try the uncheck/apply/check/apply for render, but it did not help.

It looks like windows 10 update put on version 1809 about when I think this started happening. I have one computer that was updated later that is still within 10 days and I can take that off, which I'm going to try.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:17 pm

bigjohn888jb wrote:
It looks like windows 10 update put on version 1809 about when I think this started happening. I have one computer that was updated later that is still within 10 days and I can take that off, which I'm going to try.

1809 had some...issues. In my personal collection I had one PC which stopped being able to initiate a Remote Desktop connection. Three others still worked fine with the exact same updates installed. No amount of troubleshooting or Services tweaking could shed light on it. It was then mysteriously fixed in a Patch Tuesday update about two or three weeks later.

The only thing I've encountered with Adobe Acrobat specifically is that the distiller (in some versions, anyway) defaults to 1200dpi rendering, which reacts badly with older Windows programs that don't fully subordinate themselves to the System Print Dialogue. The result can be huge or corrupted PDFs that can also choke print queues. But that's probably not your issue here, and wouldn't explain the JPG image behavior regardless.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Rolled back Windows 10 1809 and now we are printing.

Any way to roll back the 1809 on the computers that are past the 10 day window for roll back? Or do you know the patch you got that fixed 1809?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

bigjohn888jb wrote:
do you know the patch you got that fixed 1809?

Nope, as noted, it was quite mysterious :-) All of the services and settings were in place and matched identically across the comparison systems. I was "this close" to preparing the offending machine for a reinstall, on the assumption that an extended age and in-place upgrade history had finally caught up with it. Then at some point after another Patch Tuesday passed by and I noticed a fair number of updates had been rolled out, I tried it again on a whim...and it worked that time.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:21 pm

I made image backups of all the Windows 10 computers. I took one that was 2 years old and restored it. There were no Windows updates in it. It printed fine - 2 seconds and it's coming out of the printer. I am going to go through the major updates and do practice printouts at each one and see if I notice a slow down with each added update. Hopefully when I get up to the last one, it will install correctly, but if not, I'll use recovery to take it back out.

I found a program that claims you can "hide" it after uninstalling it and it will not reinstall. I wondered what that would do to future updates, if this one was missing.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 pm

bigjohn888jb wrote:
I found a program that claims you can "hide" it after uninstalling it and it will not reinstall. I wondered what that would do to future updates, if this one was missing.

I would never avoid security updates, they are more important nowadays. With that being said - would be nice to know which patch exactly killed your ability to print to actually troubleshoot the problem.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:00 pm

I installed windows KB4482887 and my printing seems to be fixed. I was also experiencing a disconnect with running remote desktop through a vpn and that seems to have been fixed.

thanks for all the input.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

I thought this was done, but discovered while the Windows 10 update seemed to fix the problem with the one copier, the other one still had problems. The printer people tried to blame it on the network, but after putting a switch and a workstation right next to the copier and unplugging from the rest of the network, i demonstrated that the problem was still there. They finally agreed to replace the main board and network card. The problem immediately went away.