Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Windows scheduler bug

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Windows 10's scheduler likes to make my threads share cores via SMT even when there are plenty of actually free cores to go around. I don't have suitable machines handy to test this on other than my main rig, but I do now have a test program that seems to capture the problem pretty well, so if a few people will try it we can at least get a better idea of whether there's actually a problem here or my rig is just haunted. Here's the executable, and the source is at the end of this post.

If everything is working properly, it won't say anything. On my machine, it's doing pretty well if it ever goes 15 seconds without detecting something, and averages 10 to 30 per minute. It needs the system to be idle and clocks to be stable to be effective, and will error at launch if it doesn't see conditions it can work with. The load it puts on a system looks like it will usually put clocks where they need to be, but I'm not 100% sure about that, especially on AMD CPUs. If you keep seeing that error, the solid fix will be to set min and max CPU speed to 99% in Windows' power settings.

My own testing is on Win10 Home 1809 and an R7 1700 at a fixed 4.0 GHz OC.

<technical ramblings below this point>

The situation it's looking for is one where a logical core gets a new thread scheduled on it while the other logical part of that physical core is already fully utilized and another physical core is idle. This should actually happen once in a while AFAIK, because a thread that has only been descheduled very briefly should probably go back to the physical core it was last on for the sake of more relevant cache contents (unless security messes with that anyway?). If another thread has been scheduled on that physical core the whole time, though, the window in which that could be useful is brief. We're sampling at one millisecond intervals, so we could catch an occasional false positive if Windows is doing something like that for caches.

The associated workload just has it waking and sleeping threads at random intervals from a pool of them two smaller than the detected logical core count.

It busy-waits (really running the PRNG for thread wake intervals) because sleeping at this kind of granularity sometimes (but only sometimes) completely fixes whatever the problem is. That's the bit I'll be trying to nail down next probably, because it could at least be a workaround.

The weird requirement with clocks is because Windows makes it easy to get the idle cycle count per logical core, but not the active cycle count. AFAICT that would involve figuring a bunch of stuff out per-process. Not having a handy way to get a real percentage, it just assumes the CPU's clock is the highest (most idle) it's seen, confirms on launch that that gives sane results, and goes from there.

#define THRESHOLD_LOW     5               // CPU considered idle if < this value (idle is fuzzy)
#define THRESHOLD_EDGE    25              // going from idle to > this means a newly scheduled thrd
#define RAND_WAKE_IVAL    (1024*1024*8)   // inverse of the chance a worker will wake per PRNG run
#define RAND_SLEEP_IVAL   (1024*1024*32)  // inverse of the chance a worker will sleep per PRNG run
#define PRE_LOOPS         1024            // initial loops to spend verifying clocks/idle are good
#define PRE_IDLE_PCT_MIN  80              // minimum non-self idle in initial loops

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdbool.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <windows.h>

CONDITION_VARIABLE cond = CONDITION_VARIABLE_INIT;
SRWLOCK lock = SRWLOCK_INIT;

uint64_t jtMicros(void)
{
   static int64_t freq = 0;
   LARGE_INTEGER ms_hack_tmp;

if(freq == 0) { // first run init
      QueryPerformanceFrequency(&ms_hack_tmp);
      freq = ms_hack_tmp.QuadPart;
   }

QueryPerformanceCounter(&ms_hack_tmp);
   return ms_hack_tmp.QuadPart * 1000000 / freq;
}

void worker(void)
{
   uint64_t busy_data = 1;

while(1) {
      AcquireSRWLockExclusive(&lock);
      SleepConditionVariableSRW(&cond, &lock, INFINITE, 0);
      ReleaseSRWLockExclusive(&lock);

do {
         busy_data ^= busy_data >> 12;
         busy_data ^= busy_data << 25;
         busy_data ^= busy_data >> 27;
      } while(busy_data & (RAND_SLEEP_IVAL - 1));
   }
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
   SYSTEM_INFO sys_info;
   GetNativeSystemInfo(&sys_info);
   int cpu_count = (int)sys_info.dwNumberOfProcessors;
   uint32_t buffer_len = 8 * cpu_count;

for(int i = 0; i < cpu_count-2; i++) _beginthread(worker, 0, NULL);

uint64_t* raw_new    = malloc(buffer_len);
   uint64_t* raw_old    = malloc(buffer_len);
   uint64_t* per_us_new = malloc(buffer_len);
   uint64_t* per_us_old = malloc(buffer_len);
   uint64_t* pct_new    = malloc(buffer_len);
   uint64_t* pct_old    = malloc(buffer_len);

bool* both_low    = malloc(cpu_count * sizeof(bool));
   bool* both_high   = malloc(cpu_count * sizeof(bool));
   bool* rising_edge = malloc(cpu_count * sizeof(bool));

uint64_t max_cycles_per_us = 1;
   uint64_t epoch = jtMicros();
   uint64_t time_raw = 0;
   uint64_t time_delta = 0;
   uint64_t busy_data = 1;
   uint64_t pre_loops = PRE_LOOPS;

while(1) {

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// main loop begin
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

memcpy(raw_old   , raw_new   , buffer_len);
      memcpy(per_us_old, per_us_new, buffer_len);
      memcpy(pct_old   , pct_new   , buffer_len);

time_delta = jtMicros() - time_raw;
      time_raw = jtMicros();

QueryIdleProcessorCycleTime(&buffer_len, raw_new);

for(int i = 0; i < cpu_count; i++) {
         per_us_new[i] = (raw_new[i] - raw_old[i]) / time_delta;

if(pre_loops != PRE_LOOPS) { // running this on the first cycle will break things
            if(per_us_new[i] > max_cycles_per_us) max_cycles_per_us = per_us_new[i];
         }

pct_new[i] = 100 * per_us_new[i] / max_cycles_per_us;
         pct_new[i] = 100 - pct_new[i];

both_low[i]    = pct_new[i] <= THRESHOLD_LOW  && pct_old[i] <= THRESHOLD_LOW;
         both_high[i]   = pct_new[i] >= 100            && pct_old[i] >= 100          ;
         rising_edge[i] = pct_new[i] >= THRESHOLD_EDGE && pct_old[i] <= THRESHOLD_LOW;
      }

bool new_shared_core = false;
      bool idle_core = false;

for(int i = 0; i < cpu_count; i += 2) {
         if(both_low[i]    && both_low[i+1]   ) idle_core       = true;
         if(both_high[i]   && rising_edge[i+1]) new_shared_core = true;
         if(both_high[i+1] && rising_edge[i]  ) new_shared_core = true;
      }

if(idle_core && new_shared_core && !pre_loops) {
         printf("[ %10.3f ] suboptimal schedule\n", (double)(jtMicros() - epoch) / 1000000.0);
      }

if(time_delta > 5000 && !pre_loops) {
         printf("[ %10.3f ] sample delayed\n", (double)(jtMicros() - epoch) / 1000000.0);
      }

// HACK - we busy-wait here because making the scheduler do stuff too often (with Sleep())
      //     seems to make the problem completely disappear (but only sometimes? Haven't figured
      //     out the logic to that yet)
      // in this case we busy-wait by running the PRNG to figure out when to spawn threads
      while(jtMicros() - time_raw < 1000) {
         for(int i = 0; i < 131072; i++) {
            busy_data ^= busy_data >> 12;
            busy_data ^= busy_data << 25;
            busy_data ^= busy_data >> 27;

if(!(busy_data & (RAND_WAKE_IVAL - 1)) && !pre_loops) WakeConditionVariable(&cond);
         }
      }

// main loop end

// first few loops are init
      if(pre_loops) {
         static pre_idle_samples = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < cpu_count; i++) if(pct_new[i] <= THRESHOLD_LOW) pre_idle_samples++;
         pre_loops--;

if(!pre_loops) {
            uint64_t pre_idle_pct = 100 * pre_idle_samples / ((cpu_count-1) * PRE_LOOPS);
            if(pre_idle_pct > PRE_IDLE_PCT_MIN) {
               printf("[ %10.3f ] init success, %llu%% non-self idle\n",
                  (double)(jtMicros() - epoch) / 1000000.0, pre_idle_pct);
            } else {
               printf("[ %10.3f ] init failure, %llu%% non-self idle\n",
                  (double)(jtMicros() - epoch) / 1000000.0, pre_idle_pct);
               printf("Either your system isn't idle enough, or cores are downclocking.\n");
               printf("Press enter to exit.\n");
               getchar();
               exit(-1);
            }
         }
      }
   }
}

EDIT fixed a bug, updated source and executable (apparently I'm an idiot, but having done basically the same thing twice in a row now, I know which bit of my code quality I need to take more seriously). No idea how it worked for me so reliably before.
Last edited by synthtel2 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Windows scheduler bug

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 am

Are you using the "High Performance" power plan, or balanced?

Do you see the option for "Ryzen Balanced" power plan?

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Balanced, and the AMD-custom one isn't available.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:19 pm

I think you need to download something from the AMD site. For now try the performance power profile to see if it helps

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Windows 10's scheduler likes to make my threads share cores via SMT even when there are plenty of actually free cores to go around. I don't have suitable machines handy to test this on other than my main rig, but I do now have a test program that seems to capture the problem pretty well, so if a few people will try it we can at least get a better idea of whether there's actually a problem here or my rig is just haunted. Here's the executable, and the source is at the end of this post.

My understanding was that is intentional for power saving reasons. The CPU can keep the idle physical cores in deeper sleep states, but if one physical core is active from a power perspective it is more efficient to use a logical core on the already active physical core rather than fully wake another entire physical up.

Would be neat if this was a user configurable setting as for my desktop I'd prefer the performance gains instead of the power savings. Maybe the power plan settings influence it, but I'd be really surprised if so.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 am

It does. Check you the advanced settings under the CPU. There are performance and sleep states you can set max or minimum in there.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm

I fixed a show-stopping bug and updated the original post. Sorry about that.

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I think you need to download something from the AMD site. For now try the performance power profile to see if it helps

The performance profile doesn't help, and I'll download the AMD thing if we're actually running out of other stuff to try, but AMD themselves strongly recommend against using ryzen balanced in 2019 and this bit never should have taken interference from an AMD program to get right in the first place. I'm reluctant to try it because IME programs like that have a habit of messing with things they shouldn't and not fully leaving when uninstalled.

Kougar wrote:
My understanding was that is intentional for power saving reasons. The CPU can keep the idle physical cores in deeper sleep states, but if one physical core is active from a power perspective it is more efficient to use a logical core on the already active physical core rather than fully wake another entire physical up.

This makes sense for low-priority workloads and maybe as an occasional extreme measure on laptops if it's got a pretty good idea that everything is responding fast anyway, but if it's doing anything resembling that on a desktop while I'm trying to squeeze every last frame out of a game, it's broken and you'll never convince me otherwise.

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
It does. Check you the advanced settings under the CPU. There are performance and sleep states you can set max or minimum in there.

The only settings I've ever seen in there are for min/max clocks and thermal policy.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:04 pm

It's part of the AMD Chipset drivers, though I don't see people recommending the use of Ryzen Balanced anymore.

https://community.amd.com/community/gam ... y-update-3
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Kougar wrote:

This makes sense for low-priority workloads and maybe as an occasional extreme measure on laptops if it's got a pretty good idea that everything is responding fast anyway, but if it's doing anything resembling that on a desktop while I'm trying to squeeze every last frame out of a game, it's broken and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's a stupid decision for desktops. But Windows has always tried to be a one-size-fits all design, just look at Windows 8's Metro mantra that resulted in the settings panel soup that we have today. But it would be news to me if Window was smart enough to change how the scheduler prioritizes threads based on desktop vs laptop.

As far as I know there's no user setting to change how we prefer the Windows Scheduler to assign threads. Programs can manually call for specific cores and change or even lock core affinity, but obviously that's not the same thing. Perhaps in 5-10 years it will be added and touted as a big feature.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:55 pm

There would have to be some kind of criteria to switch it out, because what I'm seeing here with a constant 5% of it is no good for either purpose. Priority makes the most sense IMO, but priority affects this tangentially at best in practice. Tying it to the governor might be a close second, but again, that doesn't seem to do anything.

I still don't think they actually do this in the first place. Spreading things out across multiple physical cores aggressively is a lot better at perf/W than a lot of things they do for performance anyway, like being quick to go to P0.