Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

External USB3 Hard Drives Running Hot on new Windows 10 Pro Laptop

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Hello:

I got my Area 51 in and have installed all SSD drives. I currently have two USB 3 drives attached. One is an 4 TB drive that serves as my backup drive, and the other is the old SSD that formerly held the OS and App partitions from the old laptop.

They're getting hot; physically hot! Even just sitting there with nothing accessing them. Or nothing SUPPOSEDLY accessing them. But they're actually spinning, and I can feel it when I put my hands on them.

I don't have any scheduled backups created yet...I just take manual backups periodically as I continue to build out this system and install stuff. But eventually I will schedule all of my backups to run in the middle of the night, so it would not be acceptable to unplug my backup drive; that should always be connected. And there's no risk now since Macrium has implemented features that prevent ransomware from scrambling or deleting the backup files themselves.

Is there anything in Windows settings that might be doing this, or can you think of anything I might look at to see what might be doing this?

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Re: External USB3 Hard Drives Running Hot on new Windows 10 Pro Laptop

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Two things i can think of are Indexing and Defrag.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Check disk usage in Task Manager and see if either disk is being constantly accessed.

You can also get more detailed information from a system information monitor. For example, I use HWiNFO64, and for each drive, it shows me:
Drive Temperature
Drive Remaining Life
Drive Failure (y/n)
Drive Warning (y/n)
Total Host Writes
Total Host Reads
Read Activity
Write Activity
Total Activity
Read Rate
Write Rate
Read Total
Write Total

Also, check your power options and see whether it is set to turn off drives after a certain period of inactivity. Control Panel - Power Options --> look next to your chosen profile --> Change Plan Settings --> Change advanced power settings --> Turn off hard disk after . . .

And in the same area of power options, look at the "USB selective suspend" power settings.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Check SMART in general, and what's the temperature?
Tried different ports?

PS: If your SSD is spinning something is definitely wrong.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:37 pm

meerkt wrote:

Either that, or Seagate has come up with yet another bad idea.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Hello!

Okay, so the SSD thru USB was getting warm because it was resting on top of the 3.5" USB drive. That guy was getting boiling hot, and the SSD was basically sitting on it like a burger on a hot plate. :o The backup drive isn't plugged in at the moment, but I will investigate further.

I don't have "turn off disks" activated. Should I, even though all but my backup "disks" are SSDs now?

I will observe some more in the coming days.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:06 am

Captain Ned wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Introducing CC-NAND, centrifugal cell NAND: When you want to fling the data out!

All that comes to my mind too is indexing, or failing drive. Or something funny with the USB3 driver/controller to where it is constantly "talking" to the device even though it shouldn't.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 980 4GB, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:17 am

Super simple temp solution-
The 3.5"-4TB should have it's own power brick. Turn it OFF when not in use............................

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:55 am

ClickClick5 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Introducing CC-NAND, centrifugal cell NAND: When you want to fling the data out!
Now THAT is funny!

All that comes to my mind too is indexing, or failing drive. Or something funny with the USB3 driver/controller to where it is constantly "talking" to the device even though it shouldn't.
I shall investigate further this weekend if time permits.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:00 am

HERETIC wrote:
Super simple temp solution-
The 3.5"-4TB should have it's own power brick. Turn it OFF when not in use............................
This is not possible for this drive. My backups are scheduled to run at times when I am less likely to even be nearby, let alone using the system, and even if the computer is just locked. If I'm not there, then there'll be nobody to turn them on. Or off. This was the case for my old laptop and is the same setup for my new laptop and my desktop machine because it works.